after last night....who should fight machida

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » after last night....who should fight machida
MFOTHER
9/7/08 2:34:04PM
i think Rashad or Franklin.

both impressed me last night for different reasons.

I dont think rashad gets an immediate title shot (it was barely mentioned before, and chuck was all but guaranteed) yes he did pull off a big win, in a fashion not many people expected, but i think he needs one more fight.

Although franklin and machida have already fought, its his only loss besides anderson. Everyone (including ace) knows that silva has his number, and noone really needs a third fight. to fight machida would be interesting to me, because alot has changed since they first fought. Rich looked as good at 205 , and a win over machida could shhot him up in the 205 rankings (he should even be top 10 at 205 right now...imo)

Twenty20Dollars
9/7/08 2:39:56PM
I dont think machida would take the rich franklin fight because it wouldnt really get him any closer to a title shot, it would just give him a win(if he won). Machida needs to face 205 contenders which rich isnt one yet or idk if he will be. Wandy should face machida at ufc 91 or 92.
MFOTHER
9/7/08 2:43:42PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I dont think machida would take the rich franklin fight because it wouldnt really get him any closer to a title shot, it would just give him a win(if he won). Machida needs to face 205 contenders which rich isnt one yet or idk if he will be. Wandy should face machida at ufc 91 or 92.

thas a good point, BUT. the ufc doesnt care about fair or deserved. If machida beat a big name like rich, it would prove he deserves a shot. How many people get a shot after an impressive fight with a big name? cough rashad cough.
cdnpride1
9/7/08 2:51:14PM
i would rather see Machida fight Rua, and rampage fight silva and chuck should fight rich.
Gipper
9/7/08 3:06:46PM
i think he should wait for t.silva
Wolfenstein
9/7/08 3:18:23PM
I don't think Rich will be cleared to fight in six weeks because of the missing chunk of flesh above the corner of his eye.

Thiago's back seems to only be getting worse as the guy can't even walk right now.

I hink it should be Rampage or Shogun. Unfortunately it looks like it will be a sub top 20 LHW from outside of the organization.
Aether
9/7/08 3:24:09PM
rofl... machida vs rashad. Should be exciting!!!
MALICE
9/7/08 3:33:53PM
Evans vs Rampage

Evans has put his time in. He has a lot of wins. His win over Liddell shot him way up in the LHW standings. I think he needs 1 more win before a title shot. It needs to be against a very game opponent. Who else other than another former champ. Rampage.

Silva vs Silva

Wanderlei is 1-1 in the UFC. Thiago is 4-0, but has not faced top fighters. Wanderlei needs to string together some wins, and Thiago needs to face a game opponent.

Machida vs Shogun

Shogun only has 1 fight in the UFC. A Loss to the Champ. Machida has a string of wins, and remains undefeated, but needs another win against a top opponent before deserving a title shot. What better than a win against a fighter still recognized as the #1 LHW in the world.

Maybe Chuck vs Franklin (two former champs)
Soko vs Bonnar ( haven't seen them fight in awhile)
nickcuc547
9/7/08 3:47:42PM
machida should get the title shot if he gets by silva. rashad has to be in the discussion too.
postman
9/7/08 4:01:40PM

Posted by nickcuc547

machida should get the title shot if he gets by silva. rashad has to be in the discussion too.

Silva pulled out of that fight
fonduktoe
9/7/08 4:20:39PM
i think machida v rashad for a title shot makes perfect sense but apparently evans is getting a title shot right away
ho hum
Aether
9/7/08 4:25:47PM
I like the idea of silva vs silva. Think of all of the stupid jokes mike goldberg could make during that fight.
PrinceofTranceGlobal
9/7/08 4:56:06PM
He should wait till Silva gets healthy and fight him. It seems Thiago will only be out a month or two. Why not go with the original fight.
Kastro
9/7/08 6:46:19PM

Posted by MFOTHER

i think Rashad or Franklin.

both impressed me last night for different reasons.

I dont think rashad gets an immediate title shot (it was barely mentioned before, and chuck was all but guaranteed) yes he did pull off a big win, in a fashion not many people expected, but i think he needs one more fight.

Although franklin and machida have already fought, its his only loss besides anderson. Everyone (including ace) knows that silva has his number, and noone really needs a third fight. to fight machida would be interesting to me, because alot has changed since they first fought. Rich looked as good at 205 , and a win over machida could shhot him up in the 205 rankings (he should even be top 10 at 205 right now...imo)

Well considering how Dana White has now confirmed that Rashad is now going to fight Forrest for the title the only logical opponent for Machida (besides Thiago, who is injured as you all now know) is Rich Franklin... Rich looked great in there and IMO he will bring the fight to Machida..

It would also be appealing to the fans and would be a good co-main event since they are both big names, with Machida already holding a win over Rich.. Rich seemed like he is back to life @ 205 lbs he really looked awesome in there last night and I think it would be one hell of a showdown if he locked up with Machida again except this time they are both different fighters with much more on the line.
PrinceofTranceGlobal
9/7/08 6:57:57PM
Have you seen their first fight. It was only Machida's 5th professional fight, he was a MMA baby, and he destroyed Franklin like Anderson did. And Franklin might have improved some since then, Machida has improved much much more. Add to that he trains with Anderson, its obvious they have Rich's number. This would be a terrible fight for Rich. It would set him back and lower his marketablity. Whereas Machida can fight other guys, and Rich coming off back to back wins, can fight guys like Henderson,Wandy, Liddell, and all those would be big money fights for the ufc. What does Machida gain from beating down Rich again.
jawbreaker517
9/7/08 9:33:11PM
I'd say Machida should fight Evans, with the winner fighting for the belt.
Drudinh
9/8/08 3:57:17AM

Posted by jawbreaker517

I'd say Machida should fight Evans, with the winner fighting for the belt.

edit: too bad ufc is screwed and Evans gets title shot instead