so last night

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » so last night
papercut
11/2/08 10:25:58PM
saturday the 1st a bunch of my teammates (including myself) all were scheduled to fight. we all cut and made weight fairly easily. got to the event, got checked out. all the standard pre fight stuff. and from there on the night just got worse. all of these bouts were amateur fights.

our first fighter(debut) came out did what he had to do made a small mistake in the second round and his opponent stood up. once he stood up he dropped back and kicked our fighter in the face while he was laying on his side. completely illegal move. in the fighter meeting they made it clear that kicking anyone while they were down was illeagal no matter where they were aiming. they DQ'd the fighter because the doc said our guy had no chance of being able to finish the fight.

second fighter comes out, completely destroys his opponent til the 3rd round ended. he won a decision. we were all very proud of his performance and suprised because it was his first fight.

3rd fighter came out. not a pro but he was fighting someone who had 6 pro fights. the guy came out and took him down our fighter switched and put up a damn good fight but about 30 seconds later got tapped by a rear naked choke.

4th fighter (also first fight) came out and didn't disappoint. but ultimately lost a 30-27 decision. but was pretty beat up afterwards.

5th fighter(also debut) came out and tapped his opponent with a guillotine within the 1st minute. after they called the match, the other guys corner got in the ring and tried to start a fight with our entire team. (we were all ringside) and after the entire night of fights apparently they started a fight with a few fans of ours in the parking lot.

and I was set to fight dead last on the card. it was a welterweight fight. I weighed in at 166lbs. my opponent weighed in at a chunky 210lbs!!!! my coach wouldn't let me fight. and we tried all night to find anyone within 10 pounds of that to fight me but no one would step up.

this was the worst fight night I've ever been associated with. shady fights. and my coach already told all of us we will never fight for this promoter again. it was a terrible experience for most of our fighters. I didn't like the experience that our guys had for their first fight.
Twenty20Dollars
11/2/08 10:53:08PM
damn 210, dont think he could make welterweight. I mean anthony johson and thiago alves can't always make it successfull and they walk around close to that weight.
higdon10
11/3/08 12:29:06AM
Sorry to hear that bro.
cmill21
11/3/08 12:41:29AM
That sucks man, at least he was close to being the same weight. Just saying, no big deal or anything, but Wand would have fought a guy who outweighed him
aaa9erh8er
11/3/08 3:29:55PM
im sorry to hear that so many debuts got messed up if the fighters where not emotional already without the added
DCRage
11/3/08 4:22:47PM
Wow, 40 pounds?!? Was that other guy thinking it was an Openweight fight or something else? That's totally messed up though, hopefully you still at least got your share of the purse.
cowcatcher
11/3/08 4:52:41PM
what event was it, the one in springfield, IL? just asking because i didnt hear about anything going on here(milwaukee) that night, and i hate to miss any local mma, but you may have been up north or in madtown and i wouldnt necessarliy hear about it. also, who do you train with? i was at duke roufus back when he was on the southside of milwaukee before he moved to the new gym, just wondering if youre someone i know in real life or not. also id like to know who the promoter was just so when my high school wrestlers that im coaching turn 18 and decide to fight i can steer them clear(i have 6 guys that are seniors this year that are sounding pretty serious about giving mma a shot.)

sorry didnt mean to make this such a long thing, i just really like seeing the local kids get the chance to try their hand at mma, and i love hearing about small local shows good or bad.
papercut
11/3/08 5:04:46PM

Posted by cowcatcher

what event was it, the one in springfield, IL? just asking because i didnt hear about anything going on here(milwaukee) that night, and i hate to miss any local mma, but you may have been up north or in madtown and i wouldnt necessarliy hear about it. also, who do you train with? i was at duke roufus back when he was on the southside of milwaukee before he moved to the new gym, just wondering if youre someone i know in real life or not. also id like to know who the promoter was just so when my high school wrestlers that im coaching turn 18 and decide to fight i can steer them clear(i have 6 guys that are seniors this year that are sounding pretty serious about giving mma a shot.)

sorry didnt mean to make this such a long thing, i just really like seeing the local kids get the chance to try their hand at mma, and i love hearing about small local shows good or bad.

I train in janesville (team extreme "pitbulls" the gym is called powerkix). the fights were in beloit. we probably don't know eachother. the promoter was craig monyelle from team thump in south beloit. it was all shady.
cowcatcher
11/3/08 5:38:38PM

Posted by papercut

Posted by cowcatcher

I train in janesville (team extreme "pitbulls" the gym is called powerkix). the fights were in beloit. we probably don't know eachother. the promoter was craig monyelle from team thump in south beloit. it was all shady.

well the more that smaller promotions pop up, and states make mma legal, the more douchebags pop up and run shady shows, ebb and flow man, but it always sucks.
DCRage
11/3/08 5:40:51PM
Do you know if the state or local (probably state) Athletic Commission sanctioned this event? If so I'd file a complaint or at least an inquiry with them in case there's any wrongdoing, don't let them get off scot-free if you can help it.
cowcatcher
11/3/08 5:49:57PM

Posted by DCRage

Do you know if the state or local (probably state) Athletic Commission sanctioned this event? If so I'd file a complaint or at least an inquiry with them in case there's any wrongdoing, don't let them get off scot-free if you can help it.

if its ammy and held at a gym, im gonna go out on a limb and sat the SAC didnt know it was going on. in fact we have a boxing board, and regulating commission, but no state athletic commission.