Nick Ring vs. Constantinos Philippou Added to UFC 154: St-Pierre vs. Condit

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Nick Ring vs. Constantinos Philippou Added to UFC 154: St-Pierre vs. Condit
Poor_Franklin
9/16/12 7:27:46PM
The latest bout added to the Montreal event is a pivotal middleweight showdown between Canadian Nick Ring and American Constantinos Philippou.

Ring (13-1) is looking to build his momentum back up after a loss – the first of his career – to Tim Boetsch at UFC 135. He started back on the right track with a unanimous decision over Court McGee at UFC 149 in July.

He’ll face Philippou (11-2), who is already riding a wave towards title contention. After stumbling against Nick Catone in his UFC debut, Philippou has been on a tear, reeling off four consecutive victories.

Yahoo
Shawn91111
9/16/12 7:45:16PM
Thought Costa deserved someone a bit higher up
Chael_Sonnen
9/16/12 7:54:38PM
POOR Nick
infestructure
9/16/12 8:13:01PM
Tough fight for Phillipou, lets hope he's not just training boxing
kopower
9/16/12 8:30:38PM
RIP Nick Ring.
prozacnation1978
9/16/12 8:34:08PM
Well that was the 5th fight on the ppv
Overall card is okay. Nothing stellar
I was hoping jimmo would have been added to it
BossHog
9/16/12 8:37:52PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

POOR Nick

Easy fight for Ring! Constantinos begs to be taken down and Nick should work him once it goes down.
Chael_Sonnen
9/16/12 9:10:12PM

Posted by BossHog

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

POOR Nick

Easy fight for Ring! Constantinos begs to be taken down and Nick should work him once it goes down.

WRONG - - - Court couldn't take Constantinos down and Court's wrestling is 1000% better than Nick's......Nick is a one-dimensional kick-boxer.

Constantinos TDD is vastly improved.....Nick will get crushed.
Cooler
9/16/12 9:15:14PM
I'm with Chael here, Costa's too strong and his TDD is vastly improved, UD or TKO.
sparky
9/16/12 9:28:41PM

Posted by Cooler

I'm with Chael here, Costa's too strong and his TDD is vastly improved, UD or TKO.

WAR Phillippou
Budgellism
9/16/12 9:32:30PM
Philippou should definitely take this.
isk
9/16/12 10:31:38PM
Philippou by murder, with a slight concession to Ring's uncanny luck in questionable decisions.

Constantinos has looked fantastic in his last couple fights. His striking has been aggressive but not reckless, powerful but not wild. And his takedown defense was perfect against a strong and credible wrestler in Riki Fukuda. Philippou is not a tall guy for 185, but he's leveraging his lower center of gravity to avoid the ground game while using accuracy and footwork to abuse guys standing. Add to that his proven-thus-far cardio, and you've got a classic style executed with skill.

Ring, on the other hand, is an all-rounder without a significant advantage in any area of the game. His takedowns are well timed but not overly explosive, his ground game is respectable but not suffocating, and his standup is clean but not super dangerous. His best asset, I feel, are his heart and chin. He might fade a bit after round 2, and his occasional lack of aggression has surely hurt his stock, but he's always mentally been in every fight.

Safe bet is for Philippou to beat up Ring a lot, cruising to a 30-26 decision, but Ring could eat too many combinations for even a chin like his to last.
jae_1833
9/17/12 12:39:34AM
The only way I see Nick winning is through a lucky split decision, but he likes to stand and Costa's proven his TDD recently.....I bet Costa KO's Nick.
DrivenDavies15
9/17/12 12:58:50AM
Yee I was worried my boy Costa wasn't going to get another fight this year. Was hoping for some higher competition but Ring is no joke. I see Philippou stuffing TD's and successfully counter striking his way to a UD here.
aussiemma
9/17/12 2:58:04AM
nick ring is the master of winning close decisions, lets hope costa makes this one decisive in his favour.
jjeans
9/17/12 4:54:19AM
Chill out boys. Nicks got this.
airkerma
9/17/12 9:39:24AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by BossHog

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

POOR Nick

WRONG - - - Court couldn't take Constantinos down and Court's wrestling is 1000% better than Nick's......Nick is a one-dimensional kick-boxer.

spot on with that assessment. He was denying all of those take down attempts by Court.
jjeans
9/17/12 9:42:35AM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by BossHog

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

POOR Nick

spot on with that assessment. He was denying all of those take down attempts by Court.

As I just said guys just chill out, I know your all worried Nick might lose, cause of Constantino's TDD and boxing but you can all relax. I know Nicks got this
frizzzlecake
9/17/12 1:59:48PM
Nice to see more people on the ppou war wagon!
Honestly this is good for Philippou every fight he comes in improved in all areas of MMA, but I don't think he's ready for a top ten. A few more fights outside top ten then
unleash him.

Team Serra fighters are Ninja Turtles of MMA! lol
aussiemma
9/18/12 1:25:47AM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by BossHog

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

POOR Nick

As I just said guys just chill out, I know your all worried Nick might lose, cause of Constantino's TDD and boxing but you can all relax. I know Nicks got this

it's all good when jjeans comes in and brings his logic to the table