Is Nick "The Goat" Thompson a Top 10 Fighter ?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Is Nick "The Goat" Thompson a Top 10 Fighter ?
hotrodttt
2/22/08 1:13:35AM
Nick "The Goat" Thompson

34-9-1

Nick is a Great Welterweight fighter currently riding on a 10 fight win streak over Great Competition. Since his loss to Karo Parisyan he has drastically changed and improved his game. He has stopped fighters who have never been stopped before with his slick submissions like Chris Wilson and Eddie Alverez who are both Top 20 Welterweights.

He is the Current Bodog Fight Undesputed Welterwight Champion and has set his sights on the World Victory Road Belt which I think he'll get.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Pookie
2/22/08 1:16:18AM
In that division i wouldnt say he is, until he beats someone who is top ten.

but i like the idea of the thread. It's like an expose on a certain fighter.
jiujitsufreak74
2/22/08 1:20:46AM
imo, all top 10 WW talent are in the UFC save for jake shields. then comes condit and then the rest of the UFC. i can see the goat being top 15, but not top 10 just yet. i honestly don' think he can crack the top 10 so long as he is not in the UFC, i just don't think the competition is strong enough elsewhere to compile a good enough resume for doing so. don't get me wrong he is a great fighter and could probably leave his mark on the UFC WW division, but until he joins it i can't see him breaking in the rankings. the UFC WW division is just too strong to do so.
hotrodttt
2/22/08 1:27:51AM

Posted by Pookie

Yeah I felt like doing something like this because Nick never gets any recognition and he is a Great Fighter who matches up great with Welterwight Fighters in the Top 10.

I'll use MMA Playgrounds Welterwight Rankings

1) Georges St. Pierre- Nick said himself that Georges is too much as of right now

2) Matt Hughes- Matt is a great Wrestler so it would be pretty close

3) Jon Fitch -Same as Georges

4) Matt Serra -I think that Nick could possibly out wrestle Matt for a Decsion

5) Karo Parisyan- It would be a hard fight to call due to the fact that Nick has improved so much

6) Josh Koscheck- Nick matches up pretty good with Kos and could potentially catch him in a submission

7) Diego Sanchez- Bad match-up for Nick, Diego is a better wretler and BJJ fighter

8) Marcus Davis- Marcus has risen to the one of the best and it's a bad fight for Nick

9) Jake Shields- Same as Diego

10) Carlos Condit- Hard fight to call

As you can see he can potentially beat half of the Top 10 Welterwights

BlazinSaddle
2/22/08 1:51:19AM
how about instead of people always complaining about rankings, they make there own, its not like they follow reason most of the time, does anyone really think gomi should be in from of penn no way, just ignore this stuff and make your own
bullettdodger
2/22/08 5:58:24AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by Pookie

Yeah I felt like doing something like this because Nick never gets any recognition and he is a Great Fighter who matches up great with Welterwight Fighters in the Top 10.

I'll use MMA Playgrounds Welterwight Rankings

1) Georges St. Pierre- Nick said himself that Georges is too much as of right now

2) Matt Hughes- Matt is a great Wrestler so it would be pretty close

3) Jon Fitch -Same as Georges

4) Matt Serra -I think that Nick could possibly out wrestle Matt for a Decsion

5) Karo Parisyan- It would be a hard fight to call due to the fact that Nick has improved so much

6) Josh Koscheck- Nick matches up pretty good with Kos and could potentially catch him in a submission

7) Diego Sanchez- Bad match-up for Nick, Diego is a better wretler and BJJ fighter

8) Marcus Davis- Marcus has risen to the one of the best and it's a bad fight for Nick

9) Jake Shields- Same as Diego

10) Carlos Condit- Hard fight to call

As you can see he can potentially beat half of the Top 10 Welterwights

I think "potentially" is the key word here, and until there is some follow through, i have to agree with pookie and Jitsfreak
RMFG_187
2/22/08 11:00:48AM
wait... Nick who???

No just kidding. I ve seen a few of his fights. solid fighter, but not Top 10, maybe top 20-25.
RMFG_187
2/22/08 11:02:48AM

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by Pookie

Wait, your serious right?