Nick Diaz Test Positive For Marijuana

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Nick Diaz Test Positive For Marijuana
« Previous Page
Poor_Franklin
2/9/12 6:17:57PM

Posted by GSPCanada

it's funny that this guy said gsp was scared of him yet he skipped a press meeting and now on the eve of a guaranteed title shot he got high knowing he would get caught. I honestly think diaz is the one who is scared.

i do not necessarily agree, but i've been waiting to see someone bring it up. LOTS of folks i know think Diaz is scared of gsp hence ruining his first shot at him & now this
gartface
2/9/12 6:18:10PM

Posted by Kpro

Diaz outsells anyone at PPV sales under MW aside from GSP, that includes Edgar, Aldo, and any other popular fighters under 185. To not think he'd be back even if his suspension is for two years would be thinking the UFC is a not-for-profit athletic organization rather than a moneymaking business. Dude sells PPV's. And gets to smoke a whole lot of pot in his time off.

Do the commissions not institute a probationary period as well?
Kpro
2/9/12 6:21:14PM

Posted by GSPCanada

I don't really understand why marijuana is banned from sports or referred to as a performance enhancer but I will agree that if you know it is illegal there is no excuse and don't buy into this social anxiety garbage the guy has no problem getting on a microphone or flipping off a camera, that is not social anxiety

Diaz takes prescribed marijuana for ADHD, the same reason Tim Credeur got suspended for Adderall, not social anxiety. And that's per his words. Not that it changes anything, but had to correct you on "not buying into this social anxiety garbage". then again your username is GSPCanada
Kpro
2/9/12 6:22:00PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by Kpro

Diaz outsells anyone at PPV sales under MW aside from GSP, that includes Edgar, Aldo, and any other popular fighters under 185. To not think he'd be back even if his suspension is for two years would be thinking the UFC is a not-for-profit athletic organization rather than a moneymaking business. Dude sells PPV's. And gets to smoke a whole lot of pot in his time off.

Do the commissions not institute a probationary period as well?

Without looking it up, I'm not positive to be honest.
jay98107
2/9/12 6:23:35PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by jay98107

Posted by prophecy033

Diaz has got to be the biggest moron in MMA. He wants peoples respect but he does stuff Luke this. To call him immature would be too nice. He has been nothing but a nail in the tire of zuffa. I say release him

Dude sells tickets. I'd say he's got a bit more value than a nail in a tire, but I definitely see your point.

of course he does, I'm not saying he doesn't but lots of other guys do too but they don't do 2 things he does, 1) piss dirty 2) cause problems for Dana and co. He's just an immature guy that has a lot of growing up to do.

Yes, but he sells a lot of tickets. There aren't too many guys that are marketable enough to come into the UFC and get an immediate title shot.
jay98107
2/9/12 6:26:48PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by GSPCanada

it's funny that this guy said gsp was scared of him yet he skipped a press meeting and now on the eve of a guaranteed title shot he got high knowing he would get caught. I honestly think diaz is the one who is scared.

i do not necessarily agree, but i've been waiting to see someone bring it up. LOTS of folks i know think Diaz is scared of gsp hence ruining his first shot at him & now this

I just think he's dumb. If there's one thing that Diaz DOESN'T strike me as, it's a coward.
lohmann
2/9/12 6:38:03PM

Posted by Kpro

This might give Dana White fits though. A fighter he paid $200,000 knowingly smoked marijuana, probably with no intent to hide his positive result, and if Diaz tried to deny it, like Sherk did when he tested positive, nobody at all would believe him. This is the second time in less than six months Diaz has done something not befitting a main event-caliber fighter, and I would only be very mildly surprised, despite Diaz's numbers, if he was cut.

Diaz may have saved his job by losing to Condit.
Kpro
2/9/12 6:39:08PM
Something to think about.

If Gomi beat Diaz, and Condit/Diaz was not one of the final 2 fights at UFC 143 then Diaz would've never failed a test in his life because he wouldn't have been tested for either fight.

Makes you start to wonder about how many of the fighters losing or not main eventing not being tested, when so many winners or main eventers get popped, no?
lohmann
2/9/12 6:51:52PM

Posted by Kpro

Something to think about.

If Gomi beat Diaz, and Condit/Diaz was not one of the final 2 fights at UFC 143 then Diaz would've never failed a test in his life because he wouldn't have been tested for either fight.

Makes you start to wonder about how many of the fighters losing or not main eventing not being tested, when so many winners or main eventers get popped, no?

There's probably some sort of fallacy one could call this seemingly valid point.

Personally I am of the opinion that more fighters than not actually dope. Passing or failing a test for illicit substances seems more an intelligence test than a drug test to me.
supatolacyl
2/9/12 7:10:32PM
18 of the 22 fighters were tested, so it would have taken a minor miracle for diaz not have been tested (thread on junkie says that many were tested)

I believe Diaz wanted to get caught, so he can be fired and continue his pursuite of boxing. I'm sure he has some sort of non-compete clause in his contract that keeps him from boxing for a year if he retires, however some non-compete clausees are voided by beiing fired and this would allow him to get a boxing match as soon as heis ready to go, albeit not in Nevada, but I'm sure there is a venue somewhere that he could get on.
Franklinfan47
2/9/12 7:11:33PM
If anything this makes me like him more
Bubbles
2/9/12 7:22:48PM
cant say I am surprised, but this does suck. If he hasnt grown up by now, he never will. Smoke all you want on your own time, but when a fight is approaching, put that shit away until the fight is over. Missing press conferences are one thing, failing a piss test for something so stupid is another

He started to win me over as a fan after his Zaromskis fight, and now I dont know how to feel about him.
grappler0000
2/9/12 7:48:57PM

Posted by Kpro

Diaz outsells anyone at PPV sales under MW aside from GSP, that includes Edgar, Aldo, and any other popular fighters under 185.

True, other than the fact that you forgot BJ.
Kpro
2/9/12 7:49:57PM

Posted by Bubbles

cant say I am surprised, but this does suck. If he hasnt grown up by now, he never will. Smoke all you want on your own time, but when a fight is approaching, put that shit away until the fight is over. Missing press conferences are one thing, failing a piss test for something so stupid is another

He started to win me over as a fan after his Zaromskis fight, and now I dont know how to feel about him.

He does an 8 day drink 10 gallons water and sweat 10 gallons of water per day with some herbal supplemements thrown in and told High Times magazine it has a 100% success rate. This wasn't an accident.
Kpro
2/9/12 7:50:32PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by Kpro

Diaz outsells anyone at PPV sales under MW aside from GSP, that includes Edgar, Aldo, and any other popular fighters under 185.

True, other than the fact that you forgot BJ.

| always remember BJ, it's just how to bring it up in conversation.
emfleek
2/9/12 7:53:30PM
For those interested, here's the e-mail that Keith Kizer sent out.

The following athletes were tested: Nick Diaz, Carlos Condit, Fabricio Werdum, Josh Koscheck, Renan Barao, Ed Herman, Dustin Poirier, Max Hollaway, Matt Riddle, Henry Martinez, Edwin Figueroa, Alex Caceres, Matt Brown, Chris Cope, Rafael Natal, Michael Kuiper, Stephen Thompson and Dan Stittgen. All results received thus far have been negative, except Mr. Diaz tested positive for marijuana metabolites. A complaint for disciplinary action against Mr. Diaz has been filed.

Keith Kizer

Executive Director

Nevada Athletic Commission

GSPCanada
2/9/12 9:00:42PM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by GSPCanada

I just think he's dumb. If there's one thing that Diaz DOESN'T strike me as, it's a coward.

I agree I don't actually think he is afraid of gsp I just find a great deal of irony that he would call georges a coward for getting injured and pulling out of a fight (a fight with condit not even a fight w diaz) after having dodged the press conference and had he beat condit would have had a guaranteed title shot barring injury or suspension
crushedbacon
2/9/12 9:59:01PM
Marijuana on the list of banned substances is a joke. I think we can all agree with that, and the worst argument is "He knew the rules, he should accept them and comply". Yeah that's a pretty safe take, but if people subscribed to that logic across the board into other facets of life, and nobody ever questioned or challenged ridiculous rules or laws, we'd still have a ton of completely biased and unfair laws being enforced. I'm not saying what Diaz did was right. But, for this 'infraction', the same punishment as those guys pumping Roids and pain killers seeking a competitive advantage is nuts. So let me get this straight, with a prescription fighters can participate in Testosterone replacement therapy pre-fight, but can't smoke with that same piece of paper from the same doctor's office.... that's messed up. Nick Diaz's personal choices regarding exercise and diet IMO should be admired. War GSP.
Michael_Corleone
2/9/12 11:40:38PM
Let me just preface this by stating that I was a pretty big Nick Diaz fan and still am a fan of his.

Honestly, for whatever reason, I don't think Nick ever wanted any part of Geroges St-Pierre from the beginning.

And when presented the situation of "win and fight GSP", he completely balks the drug test so even if he did win, there would be no St-Pierre fight.

I'm not gonna go on here and get all in-depth with quotes and timelines and shit, but I do believe that Diaz did not want to fight St-Pierre.
SpiderSilva
2/10/12 12:33:08PM
Did you here that? There goes all the air out of the Nick Diaz hype balloon. Oh well life is what we make of it. Maybe Nick should be more like Nate
Bubbles
2/10/12 12:56:15PM
what do you expect when Diaz isnt going to fight anytime soon. just like GSP. If Jones breaks his ankle in training, his hype train will be put on hold for a while. Thiago Silva had a nice following until the suspension. now he is back and the train will continue to roll
Pages: 1 [2]