Nick Diaz pulled from GSP fight...Carlos Condit gets the call to fight GSP

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Nick Diaz pulled from GSP fight...Carlos Condit gets the call to fight GSP
Next Page »
emfleek
9/7/11 4:24:48PM
Nick Diaz simply won't play the game. He was banished once before by the UFC and it looks like its happened again to the elite welterweight.

During a UFC 137 press conference this afternoon in Las Vegas, Dana White announced Diaz has been dropped from the Oct. 29 main event. He's been replaced by Carlos Condit, who will face UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre.

LINK
gartface
9/7/11 4:26:20PM
Man oh man, I like this fight a lot better! Diaz's antics come to bite him in the ass, yet again.

<queue the fanboys to defend Diaz>

Condit will be quite a good test for GSP everywhere the fight goes.
emfleek
9/7/11 4:28:10PM

Posted by gartface

<queue the fanboys to defend Diaz>

Yep. Time for more, "this is just how things are in Stockton" excuses.
cowcatcher
9/7/11 4:31:28PM
Maybe he has something going on in his personal life, but considering who it is, it's more likely something crawled up his ass and pissed him off.
Manak
9/7/11 4:33:17PM
from UFC's twitter Dana: "Diaz is gonna hear on the news that he's no longer fighting Georges St-Pierre, maybe he'll call me then."

dude should have just played the game for once instead he is pretty much done fighting any where of worth now if he doesnt patch this up

deff like this alot more though, condit is a gamer and goes in for the kill anytime, should be fun to see

Edit: also said BJ doesnt know yet either.. wonder what will BJ do now
KaibaThedon
9/7/11 4:34:35PM
i expected condit to get the next shot if he beat BJ anyways

love this fight
Chael_Sonnen
9/7/11 4:34:40PM
Can't wait to hear what Diaz has to say.
ChrisSabal
9/7/11 4:36:33PM
I don't give Condit much of a chance but I'm hoping he will be the one to finally take it to GSP.
isk
9/7/11 4:36:57PM
Diaz reportedly has legitimate anxiety issues. Whether they're true or not, it's a shame because I was very much looking forward to the fight.

Not that Condit's a bad fighter by any reckoning - I think he's earned the title shot as much as anyone else. Because really, as legit of a shot Diaz had, he was riding a bit of a hype train out of Strikeforce. Condit's been in the UFC for a while, and he's off a huge win where he gave Dong Hyun Kim the BJ Penn/Caol Uno treatment.

This isn't a hard fight to analyze. Condit's weakness is GSPs biggest strength - the takedown. Granted, Condit is a huge welterweight with a very active guard. He's always looking to sweep or submit, or in the very least get back up. But he's far more dangerous standing. I think his variety of striking tools and credible knockout power mean that GSP needs more than his stepping jab and overhand right to win there.

I'd put GSP at a -300 favorite with Condit at a +200 underdog. Still looking forward to this.
State_Champ
9/7/11 4:40:07PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Maybe he has something going on in his personal life, but considering who it is, it's more likely something crawled up his ass and pissed him off.

Yeah, Diaz could be in trouble. He might have a legitimate reason not to show up.
gartface
9/7/11 4:43:47PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by cowcatcher

Yeah, Diaz could be in trouble. He might have a legitimate reason not to show up.

As a professional athlete, or a professional in any realm, you disclose these sort of things, if they do in fact exist, with your higher-ups.

Regardless of him having issues or not, this is a professionalism issue. He could have told Dana, Silva or the Fertittas about anything that would keep him from showing up to a press conference.

grappler0000
9/7/11 4:44:46PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by cowcatcher

Apparently, Nick slipped out the back door at Cesar's house. Looks like he's avoiding the situation as a whole.
State_Champ
9/7/11 4:48:49PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by cowcatcher

Apparently, Nick slipped out the back door at Cesar's house. Looks like he's avoiding the situation as a whole.

You SEE!
I told you all.
Nick slipped and fell out the door behind Ceasar's house.
It's tragic, really.
Poor_Franklin
9/7/11 4:49:12PM
I love Diaz, but I'm glad his BS finally bit him in the ass. We all elarned this lesson long ago & he should have to: DON'T **** WITH DANA WHITE!!!!!!!!!
Manak
9/7/11 4:49:57PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by cowcatcher

Apparently it had something to do with anxiety or of the sort, dana said he too worried diaz wouldnt so up on fight day so he pulled it now rather than later

Dana - he'd rather pull the fight now than promote a fight and then have to worry about whether Nick would show up the night of the fight
FastKnockout
9/7/11 4:53:07PM
What's with this guy? He's been talking about how he should be the real UFC Welterweight champion, and that he could beat St. Pierre, yet now that he has the chance, he's just throwing it away. What's going on?
Poor_Franklin
9/7/11 5:13:43PM
remember when we used to ask, "What is DW thinking by not letting Nick Diaz in the ufc?"

We just got our answer

Theoutlaw08
9/7/11 5:14:09PM
Thank God, Diaz didnt stand a chance anyways. They should cut him and send him to Tachi Palace Fights 25, stiff.

Condit vs. GSP is a better match up more people will want to see.
D0wnUnd6e6r
9/7/11 5:17:47PM
diaz has no respect for the sport or his opponents.. and now he's screwed with the ufc AND strikeforce. Good luck mr.diaz
Wand_is_GOD
9/7/11 5:18:24PM
O boy, he never even lasted one fight,
pmoney
9/7/11 5:23:20PM
This is a bummer. I know a lot of people don't like Diaz because of stunts like this, and his perceived "thuggish" image. But I don't think that's the whole story to who he is. I don't think any of us know the "real" Nick Diaz.

I am one of his biggest fans, and I just can't wrap my head around it. He's said before that if he could make his living off of triathlons, he would. He said he pretty much just fights for money, and that he wanted more of it. He also said quite some time ago, that he wanted to fight GSP. Now he's got the opportunity for huge $ and GSP and he bails.... He's had months to prep for this. This hasn't been a "three short notice title defenses in six months" experience, which he was also upset about.....

If you search the video section in this site for Nick Diaz: A day in the life, I think people will see a different Diaz than they normally see. I think Nick is not a big fan of the spotlight. I don't think he wants to be that guy in the commercials on Spike; he doesn't want to be the face of the UFC or his division. I just hope things are good with Nick personally. Maybe someday he will showcase his fighting skills again.
Poor_Franklin
9/7/11 5:25:12PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

diaz has no respect for the sport or his opponents.. and now he's screwed with the ufc AND strikeforce. Good luck mr.diaz

OR HIS FANS!!!!

As a fan of nick, I'm furious.

I don't care what excuses he has.

Hope that boxing career he talked about works out.
FastKnockout
9/7/11 5:34:32PM
I'm just happy they didn't choose to ask Penn if he would take it.
prophecy033
9/7/11 5:36:37PM

Posted by pmoney

This is a bummer. I know a lot of people don't like Diaz because of stunts like this, and his perceived "thuggish" image. But I don't think that's the whole story to who he is. I don't think any of us know the "real" Nick Diaz.

I am one of his biggest fans, and I just can't wrap my head around it. He's said before that if he could make his living off of triathlons, he would. He said he pretty much just fights for money, and that he wanted more of it. He also said quite some time ago, that he wanted to fight GSP. Now he's got the opportunity for huge $ and GSP and he bails.... He's had months to prep for this. This hasn't been a "three short notice title defenses in six months" experience, which he was also upset about.....
If you search the video section in this site for Nick Diaz: A day in the life, I think people will see a different Diaz than they normally see. I think Nick is not a big fan of the spotlight. I don't think he wants to be that guy in the commercials on Spike; he doesn't want to be the face of the UFC or his division. I just hope things are good with Nick personally. Maybe someday he will showcase his fighting skills again.

I'm not sure DIAZ knows the real DIAZ. I'm disappointed that this fight isn't happening. I'm not sure if its anxiety, maturity issues, or him just sticking it to the man but I know one thing, you screw with Dana he's gonna screw with you 10 fold
xtinax3
9/7/11 5:50:51PM
as much as i LOVE Condit, and want him to fight for the title sometime I wish the Diaz fight would still happen, I wanted to see it, and I wanted to see Bj Vs Condit as it would have been way more exciting. I hope Condit can beat GSP though but GSP is someone you just can't bet against.
DrivenDavies15
9/7/11 6:40:15PM
Im dissapointed, mostly because i loved the card the way it was , but now penn will probs get fitch imo. I'm just as excited for GSP vs Condit tho, hopefully Condit can make this exciting.
tallica62
9/7/11 6:48:37PM
now that zuffa owns strikeforce...diaz just shot his career in the head
mizike
9/7/11 7:04:10PM
Im pretty pissed. I love the diaz brothers, always down to fight, always exciting, gracie students, this was diaz chance to step up. He is strikeforce champ, he is on the rise, makes no sense to just dissapear, he wasnt scared, we have seen him bang with the best, this is the strangest thing I have seen in the UFC so far. Now MATT gets his ass kicked by Josh instead of an easy win and we watch maybe a better fight for condit.

All I can do is hope nothing happens to the rampage vs jones to see rampage get his belt back. I was really excited for these events coming up. SO FREAKING CONFUSED BY THIS ****.
TheCatFather
9/7/11 7:12:39PM
Not a fan of the Diaz brothers so this is a good deal. I would of liked to have seem GSP and Diaz but I think Condt is just as good of a challenge so I say "LETS GET IT ON"
Wolfenstein
9/7/11 7:17:01PM
Shocked...big fan of Condit and Diaz. Such a blown oppurtunity, that has just got to eat you up inside, knowing that you just blew millions that could have changed your life for not only you, but for your family as well. Obviously he has some extreme anxiety issues...but the negligence he has shown in not even returning phone calls, that's just absurd. Frankly Condit is more deserving anyways when you look at the resume of both fighters.

Condit is maybe a little more dangerous--more diverse--but still has the same holes in his game that Diaz has. Poor takedown defense--but I think Condit's guard is a little more active, and he will constantly be attacking. Looking forward to this one.
Pages: [1] 2