nick diaz vs bj penn

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » nick diaz vs bj penn
loller90278
6/21/07 4:11:11PM
who wins at light weight, and who wins at welterweight?

i'm saying nick diaz wins both, and i believe his JJ is more effective in mma.
hippysmacker
6/21/07 4:17:25PM
I'll take Bj everytime( unles it was a 5 round fight ) , the only advantage I would give Diaz is reach in a 3 rounder, and BJ would walk right through his punches. I think the only LW with the power to really hurt BJ is Gomi and Bj would just take him down like last time IMO.
LB_KIDD
6/21/07 4:37:29PM
I think Diaz for both. his standup has never been bad but only gotten better and when he takes you to the ground its over. plus he has fought all the top dogs.
spider1179
6/21/07 4:50:46PM
I've got to go with BJ. In his last fight with Hughes he looked great, until he supposedly got injured. If BJ comes in shape and ready to fight all 3 rounds he is a tough opponent for anyone.
pv3Hpv3p
6/21/07 4:57:47PM
That's a tough call to make...

For one, this has fight of the year written all over it, no matter who takes it...

I'd have to go with my boy Nick... Although I think it would probably be a split...

Neither fighter has much of an advantage on the feet or standing, IMO... While Diaz isn't too hard to take down, he is really hard to keep down, and has excellent sweeps / escapes...

It would be a ground exhibition, but both are too well versed in jits to sub the other...

The really scary part is they both have great chins... Both have only 1 loss by TKO, Nick's early in his career and BJ's to Hughes... I never even thought of comparing them as fighters

You know what, I'd really want to see this fight
Signal2112
6/21/07 4:58:39PM
I'd go with BJ on this one. Diaz is good, but BJ is just incredible.
cincyassasin
6/21/07 5:00:21PM
BJ takes this in both weight classes....you would have to be out of your mind to believe otherwise.
mma4life
6/21/07 8:00:01PM
bj in both weight classes
jocksmall
6/21/07 9:22:24PM
i will also take bj in both.
Trapt1nw0nder
6/21/07 9:22:54PM
its definatly a dream match up i have always thought about,and to be honest its really a tough match to call....i dont see any of them finishing eachother no matter how many times they fought..

Toss a coin i guess....they are both very similar..

BJ would be stronger,better wrestler,and harder puncher,but Diaz has the reach advantage and Cardio

I would love to see it regardless!
rcg916
6/21/07 9:29:46PM
Two of my all time favs... I cant call it. One thing for sure is that we would have a true war on our hands. God, someone make this fight happen!!
DJDark41
6/21/07 10:10:50PM
If BJ Penn was focused in his training and wasn't all lazy and whatnot, I think he could beat Nick Diaz easy.
Ultimate_fighter
6/21/07 10:49:57PM
Welterweight - Diaz
Light Weight - Penn...
I think penn wont gas when he is in 155... but he did big time against Hughes,,, it was sad to watch...
grappler0000
6/21/07 10:51:46PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I'll take Bj everytime( unles it was a 5 round fight ) , the only advantage I would give Diaz is reach in a 3 rounder, and BJ would walk right through his punches. I think the only LW with the power to really hurt BJ is Gomi and Bj would just take him down like last time IMO.

tapoutking28
6/24/07 5:59:21PM
I think that if BJ came in shape it would be a war and would go to a split decision, but if he didn;t Diaz would walk all over BJ . When BJ is in shape he is almost unstoppable but when he is not in shape and get hit a few times(like he would with diaz )he loses the will to fight and throws in the towel mentaly.IMO
fedorwins1
6/24/07 6:27:47PM
Can Diaz make lightweight? He fought in Pride as a lightweight, but that's higher than the UFC's weight limit, 160 I think. At welterweight, it's very close, they won't sub eachother and they both have decent standup, if it goes 3 rounds Diaz. He can use his reach advantage and try to outbox Penn. Diaz by Split Dec. at welterweight, and if Diaz could make LW I would have to pick Penn, because he'll have better cardio. This is a great fight though, I've never thought of this one before.
cmill21
6/24/07 7:09:17PM
I think BJ would demolish him.
nibrack11
6/24/07 8:47:00PM
bj would win theres no doubt about it because bj is good and all nick diaz has is his punches and there not even that strong so i think bj will take him down and submit him if they ever fight.
ncordless
6/24/07 8:48:27PM
It would be a very close fight. I think that as long as B. J. is focused he can beat anybody. But I've seen Diaz win alot of big fights against fighters that most people think outclass him. No one saw him outbrawling Lawler before he did. No one believed he'd have a chance against Gomi.

170- Diaz
155- Penn
ncordless
6/24/07 8:52:23PM

Posted by nibrack11

bj would win theres no doubt about it because bj is good and all nick diaz has is his punches and there not even that strong so i think bj will take him down and submit him if they ever fight.

I don't believe you've seen Diaz/Gomi if you say that. The guy is a Gracie BJJ Blackbelt. He has proven he can brawl, but Diaz's greatest strength is his subs.
cmill21
6/24/07 9:54:29PM
Good thing BJ's not very good at JJ...lol
ncordless
6/24/07 9:57:24PM

Posted by cmill21

Good thing BJ's not very good at JJ...lol

I'm not saying that BJ doesn't have great BJJ too(he does)

I'm just saying that Diaz is definately not a stand up only fighter, which is what the other poster was implying.
cmill21
6/24/07 11:48:53PM
Lol i know I was just bugging yah. Yeah diaz has a great chin...but BJ's never been Ko'd, and BJ if he keeps it up, is now training on top of being the natural talent that he is...scary for anyone not just diaz.
ButterBalls
6/25/07 12:35:38AM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

Welterweight - Diaz
Light Weight - Penn...
I think penn wont gas when he is in 155... but he did big time against Hughes,,, it was sad to watch...

I agree with those picks
madmarck
6/25/07 12:50:26AM

Posted by loller90278

Didint you see Pulver/Penn 2 Loller?
BJ has amazing BJJ. I think his ownage of Renzo shows it.
BJ can strike too. Remember his fight with GSP?
BJ is more well rounded IMO and has more strenthg. Diaz might have a beat of reach..... but that wont stop Penn.
cmill21
6/25/07 1:16:56AM
I hate to say it since i'm canadian...but I think BJ(if in shape and not drunk) would beat GSP...and 99% of people agree that GSP is the best WW. Now if you look at the Diaz v. Penn styleistically, BJ IMO has slighlty better striking, and much better BJJ...is diaz a former world champ? I just don't see any arguments for diaz besides "he's got a chin".
Ultimate_fighter
6/25/07 1:46:23AM

Posted by hippysmacker

true... but bj looks good and his cardio is better... but i will still say diaz...
loller90278
6/25/07 12:36:46PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by loller90278

Didint you see Pulver/Penn 2 Loller?
BJ has amazing BJJ. I think his ownage of Renzo shows it.
BJ can strike too. Remember his fight with GSP?
BJ is more well rounded IMO and has more strenthg. Diaz might have a beat of reach..... but that wont stop Penn.

i made this thread before pulver-penn 2 happened, and i still stick by it. pulvers not that hard to get on the ground. i think at militech they train more on how to get out of subs than actually using them (just my ignorant 2 cents)

i give it to diaz because of:
1) cardio
2) has a strong chin
3) reach
chuckw94
6/25/07 6:43:34PM
i think bj will win in both weight classes because his talent level is way higher than diaz.
DMcCabe11
6/25/07 6:48:03PM
I think with Bj's experience and his ju jitsu he will win in both wait classes but nicky diaz is only 23 i think in a couple of year it will be all nick diaz