Does Nick Diaz want a(nother) piece of Karo Parisyan?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Does Nick Diaz want a(nother) piece of Karo Parisyan?
POLL: Should Nick Diaz and Karo Parisyan get a rematch?
Yes. Those two should get a rematch. 87% (46)
Nah. Been there, done that. 13% (7)
AchillesHeel
6/15/07 11:23:57AM
After seeing last night's TUF 5 (melo-)drama between Nate Diaz and Karo Parisyan, I couldn't help but imagine Nate's older brother Nick throwing things at his television screen.

For those who don't know, Nick and Karo put on one of the most entertaining fights of the last few years, at UFC 49 in August '04. The 1st round of the fight was a submission grappling clinic, and Karo went on to win a 3-round Split Decision that could have gone either way.

It was the first of four tough, Decision losses for Diaz, and he's altered his style and improved some since then. Most famously, he defeated Takanori Gomi in February, but had the decision taken away after failing a drugs test.

After defeating Diaz, Karo was offered a title shot against Matt Hughes, but had to withdraw due to injury. Subsequently, he couldn't get ahead of the curve to earn another title shot, losing a Decision to Diego Sanchez along the way.

Diaz signed with Pride last year, but only made one appearance and I'm not sure what his current contract status is, or what his relationship with Dana White might be (although White seems happy to put aside his personal feelings to sign a guy who'll make things happen).

p.s. If you didn't realize it, Manny Gamburyan, who's facing Nate Diaz in the TUF5 Finale, is Karo Parisyan's cousin.
thepunisher
6/15/07 11:25:40AM
I would love to see that fight neither one of those guys ever have a boring fight
pv3Hpv3p
6/15/07 11:29:08AM
I think it would be a great fight... That stretch of losses for Nick only solidified how much I enjoy watching him as a fighter... you are correct, sir, the Karo fight was one of the best of the year, as well as Diaz's fight with Sanchez, IMO...

Since Diaz has started to pay more attention to getting out pointed by TD's I think he might have a better chance this time around... But Karo is a monster and also one of my favorite fighters... It would be another war... Would've been great if they could've somehow gotten it signed as a co-headliner for the finale (I know that's wishful thinking and there's a million reasons it can't happen, but you gotta admit it would've added some more drama)
scoozna
6/15/07 11:43:06AM
I'd love to see it , but I think Nick is fighting at 155 now. Heck, I'd like to see it either way!

When Nick Diaz fought Gomi did he drop down to 155? Will he stay thtere?
AchillesHeel
6/15/07 12:06:43PM

Posted by scoozna

I'd love to see it , but I think Nick is fighting at 155 now. Heck, I'd like to see it either way!

When Nick Diaz fought Gomi did he drop down to 155? Will he stay thtere?

Pride's Lightweight division was ~161 lbs. "Mach" Sakurai, for instance, will be fighting in the UFC at 170, not 155. If Shinya Aoki came to the UFC, I would expect him to be at 170 also. Takanori Gomi and Gilbert Melendez could probably cut to 155 well enough, if they moved to the UFC. The web-rumor-mill has Joachim Hansen coming to the UFC, and he looks big to me for 155. Marcus Aurelio doesn't have an opponent yet, but the rumor is that he'll fight Roger Huerta at UFC 74, which would be at 155. Mac Danzig will be in TUF6, which I think is all Welterweights, even though his usual weight is 155 (he was King of the Cage Lightweight champion for a while).

Anyway, I don't think Karo would want to drop to 155, so a rematch would probably have to be at 170 regardless.
AchillesHeel
6/15/07 12:12:38PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Since Diaz has started to pay more attention to getting out pointed by TD's I think he might have a better chance this time around...

I agree. Nick's a better fighter than he was three years ago, and it was a narrow decision, even then. Of course, Karo has probably improved too...

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

But Karo is a monster and also one of my favorite fighters... It would be another war... Would've been great if they could've somehow gotten it signed as a co-headliner for the finale (I know that's wishful thinking and there's a million reasons it can't happen, but you gotta admit it would've added some more drama)

Nick's drug suspension probably prevented it, but that would have been a spectacular addition to the card, yes.
tepid55
6/15/07 12:52:23PM
Their first fight was amazing and I wouldn't expect anything less from their second fight.
Mayo
6/15/07 12:54:17PM
I want to see the Diaz brothers walk to the ring together and see Manny/Karo walk to the ring together. There would be some great pre-fight hype!
loller90278
6/15/07 1:20:52PM
war between armenians and mexicans?! this is high school all over again!
KYGUY07
6/15/07 2:03:40PM
i think karo vs diaz 2 would be a great sequel to a great fight, alot like stout vs fisher 2
Damien6663
6/15/07 8:19:06PM
Karo came off as a really arrogant prick last night on the show "does he know who i am?" get overyourself man, he was all pushing diaz like a bully in school, was impartial to karo, but now i wana see him de-railed =)

Mani seems cool tho.
MisFiT
6/15/07 8:45:44PM

Posted by loller90278

war between armenians and mexicans?! this is high school all over again!

Haha thats messed.
hippysmacker
6/15/07 11:09:34PM
Just heard Karo on the beat down trying to explain his side of the story. I still think it was started by him , and anything that followed after should be laid at his feet, but I can understand how he felt at the time . In the end 2 hotheaded guys should avoid each other, or a confrontation will usually ensue. He said Manny's trainer,his old trainer , and he had a falling out. Consequently Karo will not be in his corner for the fight. I'd bet money Nick will be in Nate's though.
cmill21
6/16/07 1:42:15AM
Karo will be there, not in his corner but close to front row....hopefully something will happen. Hey doesn't nate still have to fight gray before he's in the finale?
ColdCutCombo
9/13/07 12:48:02AM
yeah nate beat karos boy manny. karo pissed me off mouthing off to nate being like i'll beat your ass because im karo, dont you know who i am!? i am the winner by subliminal decision biatch. nice try tho trying to psyche nate out, diego tried doin that to kos. as it looked like manny was goin to gay and pray on nate he jammed his shoulder into the mat hard, i turned away from the fight and was shocked to see nate as the winner by injury TKO.

i think nick would do better in the rematch, borat is still good tho
bezun
9/13/07 11:39:40AM
I think this would the fight of the year, imo. Diaz just got his black belt in gracie jj from cesar after finishing gomi with a gogo and karo is a black belt judoka. I think this would be a great match up and there is a theme to the fight that has been up for debate by fans of the sport. Can judo beat bjj. I say yes (though i train gracie jj, I cant hang with the judo throws. believe me, i've tried).
nickcuc547
9/13/07 8:12:45PM
i know im in the minority on this but i think karo wins decisively, i dont want to say easy and i dont want to say he finishes the fight because diaz is tough as nails and nobody ever has an easy fight with him, but i think karo's judo and physical strength will be a big difference, it would be a very exciting fast paced fight but i think karo would leave no doubts as to who the winner is.
Naturaldisaster
9/13/07 9:05:23PM
I want a rematch so Karo can show that he is forreal and deserves a title fight
MMALifer
9/13/07 11:18:44PM
I agree. The first fight was great and both are better. I say a close one that could go either way.
KissMyBallz
9/13/07 11:37:48PM
Just watched the fight again on YouTube. Seems so long ago 2004.

Hard to believe. Great fight. Nick landed so many shots in that fight, but they simply didnt have any power.

I'd LOVE to see a rematch, but think Dana is so pissed at Nick that nothing short of begging on Nick's part will make that fight happen.

I mean who the hell is Nick fighting on Saturday? Insulting considering the caliber of fighters Nick has had the last few years