Nick Diaz misses weight plus Elite weigh in pics

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Nick Diaz misses weight plus Elite weigh in pics
thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/13/08 11:21:29PM
[2008-06-13] EliteXC: Weigh-ins - Hawaii - Weigh-ins for EliteXC's Return of the King at Fashion 45 club in Waikiki. First up is Rafael Feijao and Wayne Cole, both weighing in at 205. Then Dave Herman weighs in at 243.5, Ron Waterman at 263. Ninja Rua at 184, Tony Bonello at 185. Nick Diaz is over at 169.5 while his opponent Muhsin Corbbrey weighs in at 163.5. Champ KJ Noons weighs in at 160, Challenger Yves Edwards, weighs in at 158.5.

Link
thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/13/08 11:26:41PM
Looks like his opponent knew he would be over and came in over too. Nick probably looking forward to his fight with Mac.
seanfu
6/13/08 11:30:38PM
What kind of excuse is there for that. "**** you I didn't feel like cutting weight" might be a better statement than trying to make something up for that. wow.
wolfman
6/13/08 11:35:33PM

Posted by thatfedorsohotrightnow

[2008-06-13] EliteXC: Weigh-ins - Hawaii - Weigh-ins for EliteXC's Return of the King at Fashion 45 club in Waikiki. First up is Rafael Feijao and Wayne Cole, both weighing in at 205. Then Dave Herman weighs in at 243.5, Ron Waterman at 263. Ninja Rua at 184, Tony Bonello at 185. Nick Diaz is over at 196.5 while his opponent Muhsin Corbbrey weighs in at 163.5. Champ KJ Noons weighs in at 160, Challenger Yves Edwards, weighs in at 158.5.

Link

You mean 169.5 right, not 196.5. A little dyslexic eh? j/k

Damn, that's ridiculous! Seriously.....
bojangalz
6/13/08 11:40:57PM
One word guys-

MUNCHIES

Thats all I gotta say.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/13/08 11:41:49PM

Posted by wolfman

[2008-06-13] EliteXC: Weigh-ins - Hawaii - Weigh-ins for EliteXC's Return of the King at Fashion 45 club in Waikiki. First up is Rafael Feijao and Wayne Cole, both weighing in at 205. Then Dave Herman weighs in at 243.5, Ron Waterman at 263. Ninja Rua at 184, Tony Bonello at 185. Nick Diaz is over at 196.5 while his opponent Muhsin Corbbrey weighs in at 163.5. Champ KJ Noons weighs in at 160, Challenger Yves Edwards, weighs in at 158.5.

Link

I used cut and paste, it must be a typo.
wolfman
6/13/08 11:44:03PM

Posted by wolfman

Link

I used cut and paste, it must be a typo.

Must be, well I think it would be best to edit it then. Since this is posted as News and all.
rabbit915
6/14/08 12:23:54AM
He missed by 10 pounds? Thats not even trying now is it.
loffspring
6/14/08 12:27:07AM
It didn't actually say he missed weight did it? Seems weird that both where over, maybe it is actually a welterweight fight.
candynuts
6/14/08 12:27:22AM
So wait, Diaz and Mushin are supposed to have a fight @ 160. I guess Diaz contacted Mushin's camp and said he was not going to make weight, thus Mushin did not cut and Im guessing they decided to have a catchweight at 168. Diaz failed to make that weight as well? Damn, I guess he cut the last .5 lb because they said there was a 1 lb weight allowance so he needed to get in at 169.
Rediculous.

Link
Mchubb316
6/14/08 12:37:08AM
Until there is stiffer penalties for not making weight for non title fights, I think this will continue to happen. Seems it is happening more and more. Isn't the penalty for not making weight a 12% fight purse deduction? If somebody doesn't really care about the 12% then why try to cut the extra weight? I do believe that it is not an excuse and every fighter should make weight. Take responsability, and have respect for the other guy and make the weight.
Bemin
6/14/08 12:41:12AM
Whoa! He missed weight by nearly 3 Carano's

Lol, saw that quote on another forum and had to share it with ya all, was just too damn funny.
thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/14/08 12:42:16AM

Posted by Mchubb316

Until there is stiffer penalties for not making weight for non title fights, I think this will continue to happen. Seems it is happening more and more. Isn't the penalty for not making weight a 12% fight purse deduction? If somebody doesn't really care about the 12% then why try to cut the extra weight? I do believe that it is not an excuse and every fighter should make weight. Take responsability, and have respect for the other guy and make the weight.

Take a percentage of sponsor money and see what happens.
mictlantechutli
6/14/08 12:50:14AM
ok, diaz is completely out of his mind, and he's fun as all hell to watch fight, but this shit is just straight up intolerable. make freakin' weight! im' getting sick of this garbage, it's so unprofessional.
gartface
6/14/08 1:00:34AM
Disrespectful. Can we have an event that all fighters make weight?
MMAcca
6/14/08 1:40:40AM

Posted by Mchubb316

Kpro
6/14/08 1:47:54AM
He's adding muscle for a WW title fight.

He was supposed to cut 10 pounds of muscle he's packed on so that he could do a warm-up non-title-fight ?

To think this wasn't approved by the promotion in advance, and was simply a missed weight is extremely dense thinking.
Bemin
6/14/08 2:16:15AM

Posted by Kpro

He was supposed to cut 10 pounds of muscle he's packed on so that he could do a warm-up non-title-fight ?

To think this wasn't approved by the promotion in advance, and was simply a missed weight is extremely dense thinking.

Well if that is so they sure didn't mention it to Muhsin Corbbrey (not that I would put something like that past Shaw), here is his take on what happened and why when he stepped on the scale he came in over 160..

"Actually, I was 2 lbs under(158) and after we agreed to the catch weight I drank a pedialite & weighed in with my wallet & cell in my pocket. It's the commissions job to deal with him being over. It's my job to make weight and fight. I was in camp for 10 weeks and barely got to see my wife and kid. I'm fighting.

Muhsin"
Rush
6/14/08 9:40:07AM

Posted by Bemin

Whoa! He missed weight by nearly 3 Carano's

Purely awesome

Posted by Kpro

I don't agree. If you are late for work because you were working late at another job, do you think your boss would cut you some slack?

As far as weight goes, you need to take it one fight at a time.
CornishMMA
6/14/08 10:44:49AM
whoa wtf is with this bulllsheet reporting???? he didnt MISS weight they agreed to a catchweight days ago! Diaz should fight at 170 anyway as he is too big for 160 and seems drained, so if they agreed days before to fight at a different made up weight class then this is NOT the same thing as Carano or Alves
D0wnUnd6e6r
6/14/08 10:48:07AM

Posted by CornishMMA

whoa wtf is with this bulllsheet reporting???? he didnt MISS weight they agreed to a catchweight days ago! Diaz should fight at 170 anyway as he is too big for 160 and seems drained, so if they agreed days before to fight at a different made up weight class then this is NOT the same thing as Carano or Alves

yeah but why do u think they agreed to that days ago??? cause diaz couldnt make weight... it's not TECHNICALLY the same, but it's the same
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/14/08 11:06:57AM

Posted by rabbit915

He missed by 10 pounds? Thats not even trying now is it.

candynuts
6/14/08 11:44:16AM

Posted by CornishMMA

Well, they probably agreed to a catchweight days ago when Diaz knew he was not going to make the weight. It sucks, but at least he was able to contact a couple of days before it.

However, the catchweight was set at 168, and Diaz came in there at 169.5.

thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/14/08 11:47:33AM

Posted by CornishMMA

"Actually, I was 2 lbs under(158) and after we agreed to the catch weight I drank a pedialite & weighed in with my wallet & cell in my pocket. It's the commissions job to deal with him being over. It's my job to make weight and fight. I was in camp for 10 weeks and barely got to see my wife and kid. I'm fighting.

Muhsin"

I had heard catch weight was agreed to earlier but from Muhsin's comments I would now say that is wrong.

I am still waiting for the interview where Tim Sylvia says he pooped his pants in the Asserio Silvia fight.
candynuts
6/14/08 11:59:19AM

Muhsin"

I had heard catch weight was agreed to earlier but from Muhsin's comments I would now say that is wrong.

Wow. With that statement by Corbbrey it looks as if they decided to set up the catch weight the day of the weigh-ins. Jeez.
MMAcca
6/14/08 12:07:09PM
This whole situation kind of smells of foul play to me.

However, Diaz is not the type of guy to just not bother cutting weight, so that makes me think something was agreed several days in advance....
Rush
6/14/08 4:25:23PM
But most of these guys don't cut all their weight in the last 3 days. Many of them take a couple weeks to cut weight.
Canadian-Pain
6/15/08 11:30:52AM

Posted by Mchubb316

guys are not really making there bucks from the fight purse anyhow. Not that Diaz is Mr. Sponsor.
MMAcca
6/17/08 2:07:15PM
Nick Diaz Channels "Pro Wrestling"

For a few days now, I have watched a lot of people condemn the Diaz brothers for what they did after the show. The usual reason for attacking what happened is that it was too much like pro wrestling, and turned MMA into a spectacle. Of course, anyone who has had to go through the pain of watching wrestling over the last 6-7 years knows this is not true. The "angle" after the fight Saturday night was better than anything WWE has done in years, and it was better because of intangibles that only real people and real grudges can provide. The Diaz brothers are legitimate punks, the heat between the sides is legitimate, and it actually seemed like a chaotic scene rather than a planned joke. I can't wait to see them fight, which is a lot more than I can say for most other upcoming Elite XC fights.

Before the confrontation, Diaz/Noons would have been just another match. Frankly, most talk would have centered around how unjustified it was to do the fight given Nick's inability to make weight. Now, for the first time, Elite XC has a future match between two guys with a legitimate gripe that they can really hype up as a title fight between two guys that hate each other. It's too bad they can't do this fight in July (they should), because it has money written all over it.

Rest here: