Nick Diaz likely to continue his MMA career as a welterweight …

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Nick Diaz likely to continue his MMA career as a welterweight …
MMAcca
5/16/09 1:56:30PM
… after his upcoming 180-pound catchweight fight against Scott Smith at Strikeforce: “Lawler vs. Shields” from the Scotttade Center in St. Louis, Mo., on June 6, according to his mentor and manager, Cesar Gracie, via GracieFighter.com:

“With a title fight against Cung Le nowhere on the horizon Nick will probably be going back down to the 170 lb. division. I know there’s been speculation about a rematch with Robbie Lawler, but Diaz will be dropping weight as he picks up his running and cardio training. As far as a return to lightweight is concerned, forget it…. It just isn’t healthy. He was having terrible performances against B-level fighters. The weight drop was causing lots of health related problems and he wasn’t performing to his ability…. After this fight we’ll have Nick drop back down to 170 lbs. and probably stay there unless Strikeforce has something interesting for him.”

LINK
EvenFlow
5/16/09 7:28:43PM
Since Shields vs Lawler was announced it makes me think SF is trying to set up Lawler vs Diaz 2, I seriously doubt Diaz wont take a fight with Lawler again if offered. Sheilds is a live dog but ultimatly hes probably going to sleep and Diaz however has a shoe in win against Smith. I dont see how you dont set up Lawler vs Diaz 2, what belt could Diaz get in SF? at WW hes hoping to fight elsewhere or fight Sheilds which isnt happening. After reading this it makes me think hes going to Dream/Sengoku where hes wanted to go this whole time.
Meanrighthand88
5/16/09 8:26:16PM
He has any easy fight with Smith (stylistically) IMO, and I'm glad to here he's moving back to 170 lbs where he belongs. However, I just don't see that many fights in that weight division for him in Strikeforce, but anything can happen.
Kpro
5/16/09 10:51:39PM
Diaz is my favorite fighter but there is no way Smith is an easy fight or shoo-in.

Smith has more power than anyone Diaz has faced (or 2nd most powerful if you consider an 04 Lawler the most powerful), and Diaz regularly keeps his hands low in boxing exchanges.

I think he'll win but this is a hard fight.
EvenFlow
5/17/09 1:02:13AM

Posted by Kpro

Diaz is my favorite fighter but there is no way Smith is an easy fight or shoo-in.

Isnt speculation fun, I think it is, you dont, what a wonderful world
Kpro
5/17/09 1:15:26AM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Kpro

Isnt speculation fun, I think it is, you dont

Why are you quoting me to say that. Let me know how you showed you think it is fun and I did not.

Do you not understand the definition of speculation?

–noun
1. the contemplation or consideration of some subject: to engage in speculation on humanity's ultimate destiny.
2. a single instance or process of consideration.
3. a conclusion or opinion reached by such contemplation: These speculations are impossible to verify.
4. conjectural consideration of a matter; conjecture or surmise: a report based on speculation rather than facts.
5. engagement in business transactions involving considerable risk but offering the chance of large gains, esp. trading in commodities, stocks, etc., in the hope of profit from changes in the market price.
6. a speculative commercial venture or undertaking.

Get an education.
EvenFlow
5/17/09 2:15:07AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Kpro

Isnt speculation fun, I think it is, you dont, *what a wonderful world

Why are you quoting me to say that. Let me know how you showed you think it is fun and I did not.

Do you not understand the definition of speculation?

–noun
1. the contemplation or consideration of some subject: to engage in speculation on humanity's ultimate destiny.
2. a single instance or process of consideration.
3. a conclusion or opinion reached by such contemplation: These speculations are impossible to verify.
4. conjectural consideration of a matter; conjecture or surmise: a report based on speculation rather than facts.
5. engagement in business transactions involving considerable risk but offering the chance of large gains, esp. trading in commodities, stocks, etc., in the hope of profit from changes in the market price.
6. a speculative commercial venture or undertaking.

Get an education.

Huh? I was talking about Diaz being a shoe in not that you think its not fun to speculate buddy, it was a rhetorical question in no way disrespect.

Pretty snooty thing to write to a friendly comment
Kpro
5/17/09 2:20:34AM
my bad; i read it a different way.
941_Florida_Boy
5/17/09 12:26:19PM
I completely understand the Diaz Brothers' attitudes. When it comes to business - I believe the question becomes - are they more trouble than what they are worth? (IMO) I can't really answer that. I will say they are very marketable and a loyal fan following that obviously helps bring in revenue. As long as they conduct themselves proffesionally outside the cage or ring (while not nessesarily promoting anyways) and can stay away from legal troubles, I believe they will continue to be very successful in the future.

I think WW (170lbs) is the best place for Nick Diaz. Leave the lightweight division for your brother. I was very surprised a few years ago when Nick went down to StrikeForce's lightweight class of 160lbs and I suspected he would not be as successful. However, I was equally surprised of his dominant win over Frank Shamrock, considering "most" pro fighters were picking Frank in that fight. I would also like to see Nick back in the UFC eventually.

I am picking Diaz over Smith by unanimous decision.