Nick Diaz and Gilbert Melendez Added to April 11th Strikeforce Card

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Nick Diaz and Gilbert Melendez Added to April 11th Strikeforce Card
MMAcca
2/10/09 1:40:50AM
Nick Diaz and Gilbert Melendez have been added to the rumored lineup for Strikeforce’s April 11th event at the HP Pavilion in San Jose.

According to GracieFighter.com Diaz and Melendez will both return to action on the card, which is also slated to include Frank Shamrock, Strikeforce lightweight champion Josh Thomson, and Benji Radach vs. Scott Smith.

Diaz’s opponent is expected to be announced today with additional bouts set to be officially confirmed at a official press conference to be held in the next two weeks.

LINK
xAcidburNx
2/10/09 3:41:37AM
sounds to be a killer event. cant go wrong with smith vs radach will be sick and hopefully melendez and thompson are fighting someone else. id like to see them kill 1 guy each first before i have to see either them fight each other again. sucks putting team mates against each other. really lame to have grudge matches like that it really splits up camps
juddy33
2/10/09 3:42:25AM
this is fucken sweet i mean don't get me wrong the ufc is great but other promotions are definitely needed to keep my mma interest goin strong. Diaz is sick and frank shamrock is on the card which is ok but still gonna be a great night of fights.
loller90278
2/10/09 3:56:52AM
if somehow strikeforce gets sakurai to face diaz i would soil my panties
cmill21
2/10/09 4:25:26AM
What will this be shown on?
Loot613
2/10/09 4:41:46AM
My geuss is Showtime.... just a geuss
DCRage
2/10/09 6:40:21AM
Showtime. And Diaz might have his opponent...Frank Shamrock.

Article

Daaaaaaaaaamn!
breakdown5
2/10/09 7:49:18AM

Posted by DCRage

Showtime. And Diaz might have his opponent...Frank Shamrock.

Article

Daaaaaaaaaamn!

I saw this article too. I wonder what weight class they will be fighting at? Interesting matchup though.
DCRage
2/10/09 7:50:42AM
I'm thinking catch weight, maybe 175.
gartface
2/10/09 8:30:07AM

Posted by DCRage

I'm thinking catch weight, maybe 175.

Frank ftw? I think he might be able to dominate this fight.
Twenty20Dollars
2/10/09 10:32:43AM
Yeah doesnt seem like a favorable match up for Diaz. Shammy wins.
Mayhem13
2/10/09 10:41:51AM
Melendez should get his rematch with Ishida....that's my guess on his fight
scoozna
2/10/09 10:42:22AM

Posted by xAcidburNx

sounds to be a killer event. cant go wrong with smith vs radach will be sick and hopefully melendez and thompson are fighting someone else. id like to see them kill 1 guy each first before i have to see either them fight each other again. sucks putting team mates against each other. really lame to have grudge matches like that it really splits up camps

That does suck...you gotta imagine that they need money though. No fights=no money=no food...
wiggum
2/10/09 10:46:13AM
irregardless of winner, this would be an awesome fight.....frank would definitly have a size advantage, but diaz would have the gas tank......striking i would give to diaz, i really like his boxing and hes got a chin....shamrock, ive never really been impressed by his standup to tell ya thruth, he came up in a time were he was one of the few "complete packages" so i think that helped his standup look better when opponents had more than that to worry about....granted he picked apart baroni, but who hasnt lately?.......i might give shamrock the edge in the one punch area, given his size advantage, but he tends to throw arm punches and combos, which will work agaisnt some, but not really against diazs style of punches in your face bunches relentless attack.......wrestling neither have much skill in the deparment, but advantage goes to shamrock given the size.....submissions id give to diaz without a doubt, guy is a master on the ground, he just loves to box so we dont see much of it.....shamrocks grappling is, at the current state of the game, now textbook......in the end tho, i see shamrock pulling off a decison win, he might just prove to be too big for diaz
DCRage
2/10/09 12:11:33PM
Junkie has now confirmed Melendez' return.

Article

Hopefully he won't be too rusty considering he hasn't fought since dropping the belt to Thomson.