how would nick diaz fair in the UFC ethier MW or WW

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » how would nick diaz fair in the UFC ethier MW or WW
POLL: Nick in the UFC again?
MW title contender 3% (2)
MW top tier fighter 5% (3)
MW gate keeper 14% (9)
WW title contender 21% (14)
WW top tier fighter 39% (26)
WW gate keeper 18% (12)
mentalcase
4/12/09 3:05:16AM
two questions id like everybody's opinion on should nick pack on some muscle and fight at MW or cut a bit to WW ?

and how do you think he would go in the UFC again?
seanfu
4/12/09 4:53:00AM
not good when he make the same money fighting other ufc washouts.

He would have been a ufc champ right now if they still did long fights but they don't. The Diaz brothers style is shitty for decions.

And probably even worse in a cage.

Diaz would wash out of either division, and 185 is WAYY to big for him. Nick could make 160 if there was one. Nick can't ever crack the top 8 at MW or the top 15 at WW IMO.

If the brothers actually learned how to go for a shot or how to hit hard 1 punch out of 10 they might have an okay shot. Personaly I think Nick could crack the top 8 MW if he learned how to jab professionally and moved his head. But he won't.

Stephan Bonner effect, fighter first, mixed martial artist second.
Kpro
4/12/09 4:55:29AM
I'd like to see him back at either weight class and I think his desire for high level competition will bring him back within the year unless he gets a Strikeforce title.
higdon10
4/12/09 8:15:23AM
I dont think that he would be very succesful. He should stay where he is at.
Aaronno9
4/12/09 8:49:24AM
I think the 185ers are far to big for him. At 170 I think he could be top 5 though. Hes got a granite chin, tonnes of heart, very good boxing with more power than people give him credit it for, and, imo, some of the best jits in the game.
prozacnation1978
4/12/09 9:41:37AM
he would have to go in as welter but ufc is the best class in the world for that weight class i don't think diaz would make it
postman
4/12/09 10:54:35AM
I don't know but after lastnight fights with Fitch, Alves, Gsp would be fun to watch imo. He controls the fight so well and is pin point with his punches. The speed of the UFC is the only concern I would have but you take him to the ground have fun.
grappler0000
4/12/09 11:05:11AM
The UFC's WW division is stacked with wrestlers...and wrestlers are Nick's kryptonite. We've seen it before.
mkiv9secsupra
4/12/09 11:39:42AM
I do think hed beat Alves, Swick, Kampmann and Karo(in a rematch) but i think guys like Fitch and GSP would just take him down and control him. So i think hed be a top WW fighter but never a champion.....unless GSP has a leg amputated, then maybe.
kaduey
4/12/09 11:41:54AM

Posted by grappler0000

The UFC's WW division is stacked with wrestlers...and wrestlers are Nick's kryptonite. We've seen it before.

I think Nick is good enough to stay in the UFC but he always has problems with good wrestlers so it would be tough for him against guys like Koscheck, GSP & Fitch. Although I would love to see him fight Carlos Condit. That would be fight of the year.
bls1919
4/12/09 11:42:22AM
Diaz woul;d do well against trhe lower tiers in the WW division IMO. but when facing guys like Alves, GSP, Fitch i dont think he would cut it.
Jackelope
4/12/09 12:01:06PM
I think he might make top 10 in WW. He'd at least be dangerous for almost any top 10 to face.

185 is simply too big for him. There's a huge disparity between Strikeforce's 185 and the UFC's, no matter how much they want to play it up. Can you imagine Hendo vs. Diaz? Or Anderson Silva? I can just see Diaz leaving his hands wipe open like he does taunting some mean mother @#$%@ like Nate Marquardt who would just absolutely crush him
Franklinfan47
4/12/09 12:14:40PM
ww suits his body type more, I think he could be a force in that division.
fullerene
4/12/09 12:41:46PM

Posted by grappler0000

Not only are the WWs good at takedowns and top control but you rarely see them get subbed by a guy on his back. If Nick can't do that then I see little chance of him making a real splash at WW. The MW division isn't as strong, but with another 15 pounds of weight those guys can achieve the same results and the WW wrestlers.
Blizzard
4/12/09 3:03:12PM
He was a great upper tier gatekeeper for the UFC WW division and I think he could do that again, maybe top 4-5 in WW. I think most MW fighter are too big for him, but he could still do some damage to the mw division Lawler is a good MW and Diaz fu**ed him up as a WW. I am not sure if he could make LW, but if he could I think he could be top 4-5.

Top 4-5 LW
Top 4-5 WW
Top 4-5 MW
PABLOMAFIOSO
4/12/09 8:58:34PM
Nick can't ever crack the top 8 at MW or the top 15 at WW IMO. [.

WTF? Nick Diaz can walk straight into the top 10 of the UFC WW division! who is number 15 if Diaz can't quite make it?
slapshot
4/13/09 2:17:30AM
Nick would do fine, people forget it was him that walked away from the UFC and not the other way around he was fighting at WW at the time, there are some fighters that might pose a problem for him but most dont want to go to the ground with him.

Nicks frame is definitely large enough that he could jump up to WW with little issue MW might be a stretch. The thing is I dont think Nick wants to fight for the UFC so it's really a moot point.

I struggle to think of 8 fighters in either division that Nick absolutely cant beat. Top 5 at welter weight and top ten in middle weight sounds about right to me. There are a lot of Diaz haters out there that dont respect his skill so nuff said.

Posted by grappler0000

I dont agree, looking back on his loses yes a good number of them were wrestlers however the fights were mostly striking on the feet and not on the ground.
mentalcase
4/13/09 4:12:40AM

Posted by grappler0000

this is one of the things i dont like about the UFC rules and cage when powerful wrestles can hold the more skilled fighter down and neutralize there bjj (nate diaz vs clay guida)

nicks 4 losses in the UFC were by decision and he was never in any danger in any of those fights

nicks only ever been beaten down once that was by Jeremy Jackson when they were young nick has revenged that loss twice since then
State_Champ
4/13/09 12:42:17PM
Diaz is awesome, I love to watch the guy fight. It would be great if he came to the ufc now. I don't even care about what weight class he's in.
I think he would do really well in the UFC overall.
HulkRage
4/13/09 3:34:14PM
He was and would be a good gatekeeper for UFC WW.
If he could make and keep MW he would do OK, same for LW.
He is a scrapper and good all around, I think he could hang with most fighters he could match weight with.
FedortoAll
4/13/09 4:18:31PM
Nick Diaz is an exciting fighter, but I don't think he'd be a contender at MW. There are simply too many good grapplers there. At WW, I could see him being a gatekeeper, but never a contender. While beating Shamrock is a nice notch on his belt, it doesn't mean all that much to me. Frank wasted his prime on the sidelines and he fought poorly on saturday.
SociopathX
4/14/09 10:39:39PM
diaz would roll through the welterweight division. He'd beat GSP TOO!
WAR DIAZ
jocka
4/15/09 9:11:20AM

Posted by SociopathX

diaz would roll through the welterweight division. He'd beat GSP TOO!
WAR DIAZ

LOL you have to be sarcastic, if he does come back he would easily be top 10 if not top 5 at WW. GSP-Alves-KOS-Fitch would beat him but except for them i don's see how else beats him.

He is way too small for MW.

I just hope he comes back to the UFC WW division, i love to see him fight.
gartface
4/16/09 9:46:35AM
UFC welterweights who would beat him:
1. Georges St. Pierre - Demolish on ground
2. Jon Fitch - Dominate on ground
3. Josh Koscheck - Dominate on ground
4. Mike Swick - Dominate on ground
5. Thiago Alves - Dominate in stand up
6. Diego Sanchez - Dominate on ground
7. Martin Kampmann - Close fight all around, but I think he bests him 9 times out of 10
8. Matt Hughes - Dominate on ground
9. BJ Penn (given he ever moves back up) - Dominate in the stand up
10. Karo Parisyan - Close decision again

UFC Middleweights who would beat him:
1. Anderson Silva - Dominate everywhere
2. Dan Henderson - Dominate on ground
3. Rich Franklin - Dominate in stand up
4. Yushin Okami - Dominate on ground
5. Nate Marquardt - Dominate everywhere
6. Demian Maia - Dominate on the ground - As good as Nick is on the ground Demian is that much better.
7. Michael Bisping - Dominate in stand up
8. Yoshihiro Akiyama - Close fight, but Akiyama wins in stand up
9. Goran Reljic - Dominate in stand up
10. Rousimar Palhares - Dominate on ground
11. Thales Leites - Dominate on ground

Nick is a good fighter, I'll give him that. I think that there was a great overreaction after his win over Frank Shamrock. That's the worst I think I've ever seen Frank Shamrock fight. If Nick was fighting a good striker during that fight, he would have gotten stopped. He leaves himself way too wide open throughout the fight, I don't know if he actually finds it effective or is just trying to get into the other fighter's head. I see Nick as a gatekeeper if he was ever to come back into the UFC, which I don't see ever happening in the first place.
Franklinfan47
4/16/09 10:27:41AM
MW is out of the question if you ask me, he can beat some cans but the bigger middleweights would be too much for him in size and strength. Frank Shamrock is one thing, but a guy like Marqaurdt or Okami would hurt him.

I think he could be competitive at ww, so that would be his best bet, but even there, he'd never beat gsp, fitch, alves, koschek, imo. People forget that he's been in the ufc before and only had mixed success.
slapshot
4/18/09 2:50:43AM

Posted by gartface

UFC welterweights who would beat him:
1. Georges St. Pierre - Demolish on ground
2. Jon Fitch - Dominate on ground
3. Josh Koscheck - Dominate on ground
4. Mike Swick - Dominate on ground
5. Thiago Alves - Dominate in stand up
6. Diego Sanchez - Dominate on ground
7. Martin Kampmann - Close fight all around, but I think he bests him 9 times out of 10
8. Matt Hughes - Dominate on ground
9. BJ Penn (given he ever moves back up) - Dominate in the stand up
10. Karo Parisyan - Close decision again

LOL well you got 2 out of ten right...
gartface
4/18/09 3:05:46AM

Posted by slapshot
LOL well you got 2 out of ten right...

Which 8 are wrong, and why?
Pookie
4/18/09 3:43:00AM
i dont know if 8 of them are wrong, but i do think some of them are inaccurate.
How i see things -

Georges St Pierre - The fight i see diaz getting his ass handed to him, with his tendency to like to fight on the bottom and a lack of head movement, i see him getting the worse on the feet and really battered on the bottom.

Fitch - I think fitch would probably take the decision due to staying on top, but i dont think as far as damage is concerned that Fitch wouldn't be able to impose his will too much on the ground. In the clinch i dont see fitch being able to batter Diaz like he would against alot of other welterweights, Diaz's clinch game and dirty boxing is often overlooked, hes really effective at that range. And on the feet at long to mid range Diaz would surely get the best of fitch in my opinion. I think Fitch would win a decision but i do think it would be boring with fitch playing it safe for the win.

Koscheck - with joshs tendency to stand up, and the way he likes to throw his punches, he could very well get picked apart on the feet. His trusty overhand right i dont see landing very often, and with diaz's ability to continue to throw and get in koschecks face the pressure would throw koscheck off his game. However koschecks bread and butter, his takedowns, are more then enough to take the fight to the ground. I cant think of a recent fight that showed if koschecks submission defense has improved, assuming it has i can see him winning a decision. I dont think his ground and pound will be much of a factor as diaz's constant sub attempts should force him on the defensive.
This is a fight i can see diaz winning if koscheck doesnt fight a smart fight, however if he does play it smart and keep diaz on bottom i can see him winning.

Swick - Im not sure how swick will react to a high volume high pressure fight, and whether or not hell be able to take 3 rounds at diaz's pace, since traditionally fighters with that build, who throw as much umph as swick does in his punches, tend to fade later on in fights where they are pushed. I think this would be a hot bout fight and im not sure who id take.
However, swick would not dominate Diaz on the ground as you mentioned.
Swicks reach advantage and explosiveness could cause problems for diaz if nick doesnt adjust quick, but i do see Diaz's chin being able to absorb more than swick can throw.

Thiago Alves - He murders nick stylistically, im not sure how long diaz's body would be able to hold up. The leg kicks take away his base and theres no chance of him putting alves on his back. I think it would be a brutal fight to watch.

Kampmann - Similarly to Condit i could see Diaz outworking him on the ground and making a disputable case as to whether or not Diaz won. On the feet he doesnt have the dynamic style of striking condit does, and diaz's striking defense has a bit to be desired against technical fighters who like to counter like kampmann does. I think Kampmann would do very well in this match-up. Kampmann's style is very technically sound and should make Diaz eat leather in order to dish it back out in alot of exchanges, he has the right style to keep diaz off of him. An accurate counter puncher who likes to operate at range.

Hughes - Right now with the layoff and the noticable deterioration of skills i think diaz would beat hughes, along with alot of other younger up and coming fighters.

Penn - Penn wins through samoan might and durability.

Karo - I personally think diaz won the first fight, and since that point i think diaz has improved more than Karo has. I think Diaz would beat him (again).

Hazellett - Diaz's bjj is good enough to nullify Hazellett's main strength, which is the ground game. On the feet its diaz all the way, i see this as an easy fight to pick.

Hopefully that rambling made sense
team_demon_fighter
4/18/09 2:26:28PM

Posted by seanfu

not good when he make the same money fighting other ufc washouts.

He would have been a ufc champ right now if they still did long fights but they don't. The Diaz brothers style is shitty for decions.

And probably even worse in a cage.

Diaz would wash out of either division, and 185 is WAYY to big for him. Nick could make 160 if there was one. Nick can't ever crack the top 8 at MW or the top 15 at WW IMO.

If the brothers actually learned how to go for a shot or how to hit hard 1 punch out of 10 they might have an okay shot. Personaly I think Nick could crack the top 8 MW if he learned how to jab professionally and moved his head. But he won't.

Stephan Bonner effect, fighter first, mixed martial artist second.

wow, this guy doesnt watch mma much at all. or he is just a diaz basher. im pretty sure his "non-powerful" punches have knocked out and tko multiple ppl. including shamrock and lawler.
scobac
4/18/09 8:44:54PM
MW is to far fetched for somebody with diaz's frame, but im sure he'd be man enough to step up and take on anybody in any weight class. I think he would be a top 5 WW. gsp i think would be the only sure loss for diaz, kos and fitch being the next two toughest for him, I think nick would break alves will the longer a fight between them went. serra, karo, hughes, kampman, condit, larson, matt brown, goulet, lytle, I would give diaz the advantage goin into those fights (I think they are all capable of beating him though). Anthony Johnson, hazelett, swick, davis I think would be a toss up goin into the fights. I guess im huggin his nuts a bit in this post but to whoever said he would only be a top 15 is straight hatein him.