Nick Diaz

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Nick Diaz
zmazing17
7/21/09 1:28:49PM
Just wondering if anyone thinks Nick Diaz will ever return to the UFC. I hope that some day he makes is return.
NatedawgThaM
7/21/09 1:39:52PM
I hope he does. he's a beast now, I think he could really do some damage at 170. Might not ever be able to beat Fitch, Kos, or GSP because their wrestling is just phenominal and thats sort of always been his weak point, but he'd definitely raise hell with anybody else. Would love to see him back! Dana should go get em! Even though I am enjoying him beating the **** out of B level middleweights but either way as long as i see him fight im happy.
Irish_Pride
7/21/09 1:52:54PM
I would like to see him come back. Nick is a good fighter. He would just be another fighter at 170 and create some interesting matchups. I mean he is going to be a title contender because I highly doubt he can beat GSP, but I'd like to see him fight other guys like Serra, Hughes, and Swick.
Nightmare27
7/21/09 2:28:34PM
Strikeforce would be dumb to let him go. He's definetly their most reliable star. He'll take any fight at damn near any weight.
emfleek
7/21/09 2:33:25PM
If he ends up signing on for the EA Sports game, I wouldn't bank on him EVER being in the UFC again.
cowcatcher
7/21/09 2:59:58PM

Posted by emfleek

If he ends up signing on for the EA Sports game, I wouldn't bank on him EVER being in the UFC again.

dana has flip flopped a ton though so i dont know how much water his EA threat really holds.
prozacnation1978
7/21/09 3:17:09PM
i hope he does i think he wants too but strikeforce won't let him go and he seems to feel quite comfortable with their organization
Rush
7/21/09 4:02:56PM

Posted by cowcatcher

dana has flip flopped a ton though so i dont know how much water his EA threat really holds.

It's funny, I was thinking about his EA threat and determined that it could actually work against Dana.

Dana has a tendency to say that the UFC is for all the best fighters in the world. Now, when a top fighter refuses to sign with them (for whatever reasons) he has the initiative to say that "they are afraid to lose" or "they aren't that good because they are not in the UFC". Dana holds the aces because he made an offer, but we usually don't know anything about the details. This has happened many times and of course Dana changes his tune if/when the fighter actually comes to the UFC. lol

Now imagine a situation where he refuses to let a known top fighter into the UFC because of the putative game signing. Now that fighter could turn the tables and say that they don't want to get him because the the UFC brass are afraid he'll embarass their fighters, which puts pressure on Dana.

I find the whole concept to be childish myself but its existence seems to be inevitable.

Meh just a thought for fun
emfleek
7/21/09 4:17:12PM

Posted by Rush

It's funny, I was thinking about his EA threat and determined that it could actually work against Dana.

Dana has a tendency to say that the UFC is for all the best fighters in the world. Now, when a top fighter refuses to sign with them (for whatever reasons) he has the initiative to say that "they are afraid to lose" or "they aren't that good because they are not in the UFC". Dana holds the aces because he made an offer, but we usually don't know anything about the details. This has happened many times and of course Dana changes his tune if/when the fighter actually comes to the UFC. lol

Now imagine a situation where he refuses to let a known top fighter into the UFC because of the putative game signing. Now that fighter could turn the tables and say that they don't want to get him because the the UFC brass are afraid he'll embarass their fighters, which puts pressure on Dana.

I find the whole concept to be childish myself but its existence seems to be inevitable.

Meh just a thought for fun

I don't think it would work against Dana. Dana would downplay the whole situation by laughing it off and going off on a profanity-laced tirade aimed at the fighter, like he usually does.

The UFC is bigger than any one fighter so I don't see it damaging the brand at all or even working against Dana, other than tainting their reputation amongst hardcore fans, which they (Dana and the UFC) really shouldn't care about.
telnights
7/21/09 7:48:55PM
Well as much as I would like to see him back in the UFC there is no reason for him to come back. He has been getting much easier fights and getting huge recognition for these wins. But I guess it depends on what the UFC thinks he is worth. Now I want to say he is a good fighter but I don't think he could crack the top 5 in the UFC at LW, WW, or MW. So if he stays in Strikeforce he is kind of their golden boy and gets paid more than the UFC would pay him and much easier match ups. Now this depends on what drives him as a fighter but I have a feeling he is very happy where he is at.
deezyo
7/22/09 12:12:08AM
i hope so, hes exciting
SociopathX
7/22/09 2:01:31AM
Diaz is one of my favorite fighters and in all honesty I hope he stays in Strikeforce. We will get to see him fight a ton more and once he beats Riggs he will have the Welterweight new Strikeforce belt in August.

UFC is starting to annoy me with how long they take to have fighters fight. I like having other orgs with good fighters so you don't have to just rely on the ufc all the time.

Diaz has fought come August. 3 times in a less than a 6 month span. If he came to the UFC we'd be seeing him twice a year.
Kpro
7/22/09 4:13:18AM
I don't like it when I see some of my favorite non-UFC fighters go to the UFC because of the twice a year thing. Sure it's higher profile matchups, but to see them half as much? I don't care for it.

I'd prefer to watch him 4+ times a year in Strikeforce and overseas.

Aaronno9
7/22/09 5:26:23AM
Id rather he just stayed with strike force. I think if he signed with the ufc guys would just look to LnP when they fought him becouse hes so crafty in every other area and you never know what hes going to beable to do. Also, it would make strikeforce a little less attractive. I mean, I know its only one fighter, but if Diaz is fighting on a strikeforce card im staying up to watch it, but if the UFC signs their big names and they start putting on cards full of low level fighters, ill probably just catch a PBP or watch the videos on the internet.
hippysmacker
7/22/09 7:05:40AM
I just think he lacks the wrestling , physical strength, TD defense, and punching power to ever get a title shot in the UFC at 170, or even 185- since he has fought their lately. I think he can beat a lot of guys currently in the UFC, becuase he is so tough and works so hard. However GSP. Sherk, Alves, Kos, and Hughes would all be able to take him down and beat on him IMO. Hughes is probably the only one I could see him upsetting, just becuase Hughes might decide to stand with him till he actually got hurt, but I doubt it. Anderson, Hendo, Marquardt, Akiyama, Maia, Leites, and Sonnen would all be able to beat him as well if you ask me. He is now too big to make 155, so I would say he is doing the smart thing staying in EliteXC.
DCRage
7/22/09 9:42:43AM

so I would say he is doing the smart thing staying in EliteXC.

Does that mean he's dead and we just don't know it?
I wouldn't be surprised if he were to return at UFC at 170 or even 185. Anything's possible and he still is a popular fighter in spite of his attitude outside the cage. But if he beats Riggs on 8/15 that means he's the SF champion so I doubt it, even though it could mean more money coming from UFC.
pv3Hpv3p
7/23/09 9:15:10PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I just think he lacks the wrestling , physical strength, TD defense, and punching power to ever get a title shot in the UFC at 170, or even 185- since he has fought their lately. I think he can beat a lot of guys currently in the UFC, becuase he is so tough and works so hard. However GSP. Sherk, Alves, Kos, and Hughes would all be able to take him down and beat on him IMO. Hughes is probably the only one I could see him upsetting, just becuase Hughes might decide to stand with him till he actually got hurt, but I doubt it. Anderson, Hendo, Marquardt, Akiyama, Maia, Leites, and Sonnen would all be able to beat him as well if you ask me. He is now too big to make 155, so I would say he is doing the smart thing staying in EliteXC.

The thing about Diaz, at least the thing I always forget, is just how young and how incredibly experienced he is... I mean the kid hasn't even turned 26 yet and he's beaten a much bigger Frank Shamrock & a LW dumptruck slugger in Takinori Gomi and carries a 20-7-1 record (5 fight winning streak)...

I guess what I'm saying is that imagine if he took the time to actually beef up to MW, as appose to taking the catchweight 180lb fights that I'm sure he doesn't cut much for??? In MN, where I live, Torii Hunter always commented on how Joe Mauer (both Twins MLB players) will be a scary hitter when he grows up and gets his "man muscles". And Joe is starting to hit more dinggers and he's getting bigger and stronger (also becoming the best position player in MLB)... I think it's a similar situation with Diaz...

I mean when I just take all the bullshit away, and really look at the numbers... The guy's gotta granite chin, akward-yet-awesomely-effective striking style, topdrawer ground game, and a cardio factory... He's got all the intangibles... I mean the guy beat Chris Lyte when he was 19... Knocked out Robbie Lawler when he was 20 and was out of the UFC by the time he was 23 (after winning his final two fights)... And even in his last couple UFC losses (Karo and Diego) those were some of the most entertaining ground battles I have ever seen... And I have to admit, while he hasn't fougt the level of wrestler as he had in the UFC, he has drastically changed his game... His pitter patter punching style smothers and seems to have a massice accumulative effect on opponents if not rocking them, then sapping away all of their energy... I swear it's gotta be goddamned voodoo sometimes, lol

Anyways, after that long drawn out bunch of crap, I'll just respectfully disagree and say that when Diaz enters the thunder zone... Around 28-32 y/o... He will be the guy everyone, in whatever division he'll end up in, will be trying to avoid

EDIT: after rereading the post I might as well have said: "Diaz for president 2018!"... lol

Oh and I think he can take guys like Maia and Leites... He's fought tougher dude's and has the ground knowledge to keep safe, and would own the standup if you ask me... Hendo and Marquardt are a different story (I also think they should fight eachother, Hendo and Nate that is)