NHL 2k9 vs EAs NHL 09

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » NHL 2k9 vs EAs NHL 09
POLL: Which is better
NHL 09 82% (18)
NHL 2k9 18% (4)
Aaronno9
1/30/09 4:15:33PM
Anybody played either, or both? Im going to pick one of em up this weekend but ive got no idea which one to buy. The reviews seem to suggest EAs effort is better but I hear the stick system is pretty hard to pick up, whereas you can get straight into 2k9.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
1/30/09 4:23:09PM
2k sport games are garbage . get easports and just choose the classic controls.
emfleek
1/30/09 4:41:19PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

2k sport games are garbage

Aaronno9
1/30/09 6:17:30PM

Thats what I was going to do, then I read thats not an option and you have to use and analog stick....
Jackelope
1/30/09 6:26:34PM
The analog is hard to get used to, but once you do you wouldn't have it any other way. It allows for a lot more creativity.

2k9 stuff sucks. Flat out.
DJDark41
1/30/09 6:37:07PM
IGNORANCE AHOY!!!!!!!

Honestly, I have been an EA guy for years, and this year I gave both titles a shot, and here is my honest review/opinion of each, coming from a long-time hockey and video game fan.

NHL 09: I'm not going to lie, this game is amazing. The graphics are fantastic, and the gameplay is very smooth. There are a few minor problems that over time have really gotten to me. First of all, no matter what difficulty you play on, the opposing goalie always plays amazing, while your goalie plays like he has a blindfold on. In Be-A-Pro, your teammates are absolutely RETARDED, and refuse to do anything but give you the puck. The Dynasty mode lacks any sort of real depth. That doesn't mean its bad, but it lacks any sort of fantastic outstanding feature. However, if you are in it for the online play, you will either love it or hate it. There are lots of people who cheat/do cheap goals constantly, which you will see VERY quickly. However, the EASHL is absolutely amazing, but once again, full of cheaters/cheap goal players(EASHL is basically playing on a team as your created guy, with other people playing as their created player). It is alot of fun, but can also get frustrating very easily.

Pros: Good gameplay, skill stick is alot of fun and gives you lots of creativity with the puck, EASHL is a genius idea, Be-A-Pro is very fun, fantastic graphics

Cons: Cheap/cheese goals online, and EVERYONE does them, game gets sort of repetitive, stupid teammates, lots of goals are similar(high glove side, one timers and dekes).

NHL 2K9: Once again, going to be very honest, I was skeptical about this game after playing the demo. However, at the recommendation of a friend, I rented it and boy was I glad. It took a little while to get the controls down good, but they felt very comfortable, and I never felt like I was fumbling to try and find the right button to do something. Graphics aren't terrible, but they definitly are miles behind NHL 09. Gameplay is much more arcade-y, but that isn't a bad thing. It is definitly a whole bunch of fun. If you mess around with the sliders, you can get any sort of game that you like. It can be a run-and-gun 10-8 goal fest, or you can have it as a very realistic, medium pace battle finishing at 3-2 or 3-1. The AI is very smart(for both teams), and unlike NHL 09, there are shots that go in that aren't the same play over and over again. There is no manual shot aim, but I never had a problem with shooting into the goalie with a wide open net or anything like that, and not every goal is a one-timer or high glove side. You can really feel the difference between your top line and your 4th line, which is a nice touch, and really helps play into strategy of trying to match your 1st line against their 4th line, and avoiding having the same thing done to you.

Pros: Very fun, easy to pick up and play, good in-depth franchise mode, no game ever feels the same(occasionally you will play a game and score 10 goals, then the next game, play a worse team, but because of their particular defensive strategy, you have a hard time beating them), balanced gameplay(never feels like the computer "cheats" or has amazing "comeback" abilities).

Cons: Graphics aren't awful, but they are not nearly as good as NHL 09, occasionally over-realistic gameplay gets annoying(players colliding into each other while just skating, checking teammates, pucks/players hitting the referee)

Judge for yourself, I would say at least play both before you buy one or the other. If you have any questions about either game, feel free to PM me or post them here
RampageOwnedYou
1/30/09 7:56:06PM
Weird how you would do a poll on this when both games have been out for over 4 months now.

First off, 2KSports sucks. I dont think I could ever buy a game from them for online play. (Well good thing, i cant get live where i moved too) but either way. Every game i have bought....EXCEPT Olympics has had major issues. Best thing about it, 2k sports is the type of company who could care less about its customers. When my game didnt work, they didnt even write me back or phone me, and this was more then 1 occasion.

EASports is so much better. At least this years hockey is by far the best EVER. And 2k comes NOWHERE close to EASports games.

End of thread.

Goodnight, and i'll be performing live tommorow at.....................just kidding.
Aaronno9
1/30/09 8:09:31PM
"Weird how you would do a poll on this when both games have been out for over 4 months now."

I had no intention of buying either game 4 months ago though so a poll back then would of been useless to me lol.

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like ill be going with EA version. The become a pro mode sounds pretty sweet.
EvenFlow
1/30/09 8:28:37PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Thats what I was going to do, then I read thats not an option and you have to use and analog stick....

But hasnt everyone had to use the d-pad in almost every game since ps2 came out in 2000? have you just turned the d-pad button off for every game? how do you play xbox360 or ps3 without it?
Aaronno9
1/30/09 9:29:59PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Aaronno9

But hasnt everyone had to use the d-pad in almost every game since ps2 came out in 2000? have you just turned the d-pad button off for every game? how do you play xbox360 or ps3 without it?

Um, im not sure what you mean but most games nowdays use the analog stick for movement......

But im just refering to using the stick to pass and shoot and stuff. Seems to complicated for me and it takes me ages to pick it up. I dont no if anybodies ever played the game skate but I absolutely sucked at that using the stick to control the board lol.
murphy_16
1/30/09 9:43:13PM
have the demo of both lol
and love 09 way more, but that is personally becoause i really enjoy playing with the analog stick rather than the original controls
DJDark41
1/30/09 10:15:30PM
For NHL 09, you can set it to classic controls(face buttons to shoot/pass) or use the SkillStick controls. But as a person who has played both games extensively, I highly recommend at least renting both before deciding to definitly go with one or the other. Its always fun to see the fanboys come out and just go "EA ROX 2K SUX" or vice versa. Trust me, trying them both out before you make your final decision will make a big difference. I was one of those people who went, "NHL 09 is awesome, 2K can't even come close." However, I spoke out of ignorance, and after playing 2K9 for a long time, I really could not pick one over the other.
Boo_Radley21
1/31/09 6:06:01PM
09 is the **** man. Definitely go for it. I just got mine back after lending it to a friend and I almost forgot how fun it was haha.
EvenFlow
1/31/09 6:27:27PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Aaronno9

Um, im not sure what you mean but most games nowdays use the analog stick for movement......

But im just refering to using the stick to pass and shoot and stuff. Seems to complicated for me and it takes me ages to pick it up. I dont no if anybodies ever played the game skate but I absolutely sucked at that using the stick to control the board lol.

my bad i thought you meant you dont use the analog sticks at all nvm
Hendo67
2/2/09 1:59:37PM
I'll take EA any day of the week, however here are some things i think they need to improve on.
They don't pronounce the last names of some players correctly Milan LOOCHEECH is pronounced Lousik. Derek Roy is pronounced Derek Waugh...little things like that irritate me, lol.

Also, the fighting is garbage. It looks like a mid 1990's Nintendo game.

The create a team jersey logo selection is wack, what the heck are some of those images anyway? they need better images for your teams logo's imo.

nastshabast
2/2/09 2:04:40PM

Posted by Hendo67

I'll take EA any day of the week, however here are some things i think they need to improve on.
They don't pronounce the last names of some players correctly Milan LOOCHEECH is pronounced Lousik. Derek Roy is pronounced Derek Waugh...little things like that irritate me, lol.

The create a team jersey logo selection is wack, what the heck are some of those images anyway? they need better images for your teams logo's imo.

Dustin Byfuglien. Guy says BY FEW GLEN. It's BUFFLIN.
DJDark41
2/2/09 6:24:27PM

Posted by nastshabast

Posted by Hendo67

Dustin Byfuglien. Guy says BY FEW GLEN. It's BUFFLIN.

Yeah, they call Dennis Wideman, WEED-A-MAN. I just play Be-A-Pro and turn off the commentators..

Fighting in 09 is garbage, 2K9 has the best fights I have seen in a long time.

Create a team is gross in both games. Create a Player though, in NHL 09, is very good. You can pick your blade curve, your stick flex, visor size/tint, jersey tuck, sock tuck. However, in 2K9, you can change the color of almost EVERYTHING, change the length/location of your stick tape, and all fun little things like that. Creation isn't fantastic in either game.