MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The NHL
POLL: Which do you prefer
NHL 45% (10)
NBA 5% (1)
MLB 0% (0)
NFL 50% (11)
Aaronno9
10/18/07 10:58:13PM
Basicly, im a huge fan of hockey and ive followed the penguins for 5-6 years now, but being from the UK its hard to get any kind of coverage or news on the sport, so im basicly woundering if the NHL is a big sport in america? Even in the english sports news you hear about the nfl and nba, but never about the nhl. Do many of you guys class it as your favourite sport? and also is it very succesfull over the pond? Thanks :)
postman
10/18/07 11:09:05PM
First off you stick to the Pens. Starting a little slow but we will take the cup this year! To answer your question NFL IS #1 in the States the I would say baseball followed by NASCAR (I really don't like) Then I would say a toss up between Hockey and Basketball. I'm from Pittsburgh so of course I get more Hockey but Cleveland they get more Hoops. You also could throw in Collage Football and Hoops but I figured you ment Pro.
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/18/07 11:45:02PM
Shiiiit, not alot of times or places you'll see NFL win in polls lol. Long live American football
loonytnt
10/19/07 12:17:50AM
NFL go COWBOYS
Basshandsome
10/19/07 12:39:30AM
Its easily the most popular sport in Canada. There is always games on and its usually the first thing covered on any sports show.
tuvok500
10/19/07 1:08:01AM
well, the only think i have to say is : GO PATS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pv3Hpv3p
10/19/07 2:29:07AM
I had to vote football, but hockey's a close second for me... I grew up outside of Pittsburgh, during the glory years, and if you weren't a hockey fan back then you weren't breathin...

I live in Minnesota now, and hockey's pretty huge up here... They have an excellent college hockey program (U of MN), and the Wild seem to be coming into their own... I guess we're pretty close to Canada, so maybe that's got something to do with it
DCRage
10/19/07 9:12:15AM
The popularity of sports in the US is ranked something like this:
#1-NFL
#2-NASCAR
#3-MLB
#4-NBA
#5-NHL (the farther south you go, the less popular it is, except in California)
#6-Golf (if Tiger Woods is playing any given week)
Here in Washington, it's more like NFL #1, NBA #2, MLB #3, Golf #4, NHL #5.
Aaronno9
10/19/07 10:11:28AM
Wow, I didnt even think NASCAR was even a major sport over there, ive never seen it before. Thanks for the response though :)
zephead
10/19/07 3:29:33PM
The NFL first and foremost here. I love hockey and I'm a season ticket holder to the Caps. But it's the National Football League for me.
DJDark41
10/19/07 9:38:24PM

Posted by DCRage

#1-NFL
#2-NASCAR
#3-MLB
#4-NBA

How can Washington not care about the NHL? Its not like you guys have any good players except for that Alexander Ovechkin guy who just scored his 200th NHL point in less then 3 full seasons....

BTW- New York Rangers are the best New York sports team, which is sad considering they suck right now. Lets go Rangers!
cmill21
10/19/07 10:14:22PM
In Washington the Skin's are the kings. I love hockey, played hockey at a high level and will always watch it. We better not lose an original 6 though(boston,chicago), my favorite team is chicago so that'd hurt big time.
Djbb
10/19/07 10:44:33PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Basicly, im a huge fan of hockey and ive followed the penguins for 5-6 years now, but being from the UK its hard to get any kind of coverage or news on the sport, so im basicly woundering if the NHL is a big sport in america? Even in the english sports news you hear about the nfl and nba, but never about the nhl. Do many of you guys class it as your favourite sport? and also is it very succesfull over the pond? Thanks :)

Well you're from the UK so I won't rail on ya for following Pittsburgh, atleast you're not a Bruins fan. The NY Rangers are the G.O.A.T, anyone who says otherwise is a freedom-hating commie! To answer your questions though, NHL popularity tends to fluctuate. It depends on how many Canadians we have living in the states at the time.
hippysmacker
10/20/07 7:38:08AM
1. NFL
2. MMA
3. Baseball
4. Boxing
5. Basketball
6. other combat sports
jiujitsufreak74
10/20/07 10:46:31AM

Posted by DCRage

#1-NFL
#2-NASCAR
#3-MLB
#4-NBA

i am not saying i agree with this ranking i am about to giv, but based on ticket sales and viewership, the popularity of sports in the US rank as following:

1) MLB
2) NFL
3) NBA
4) NHL/NASCAR (its really close, but NASCAR is a bit more popular)
6) PGA
7) MLS (unfortunately, soccer is such a great sport)

now this does not include mma, i am sure mma ranks a bit higher than MLS, but the mma was not included in the study.
iwannabesedated
10/20/07 12:55:07PM
I had to go with football although i love my hockey..LETS GO PENS!!!!

i think the Pittsburgh Steelers have already won more games this year than the Pittsburgh Pirates will win all of next year anyone agree??
zephead
10/20/07 2:26:34PM

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by DCRage

#1-NFL
#2-NASCAR
#3-MLB
#4-NBA

How can Washington not care about the NHL? Its not like you guys have any good players except for that Alexander Ovechkin guy who just scored his 200th NHL point in less then 3 full seasons....

BTW- New York Rangers are the best New York sports team, which is sad considering they suck right now. Lets go Rangers!

This is a Skins town. Always have, always will. The Skins have been here since 1937. Caps since 1974. The Caps have a hard core following (which I am part of. season tickets for years) but this isn't a hockey town. Moving to the Verizon Center in DC has really hurt.

They have lost alot of Balimore area fans by moving to DC. I live 40 miles away. I have to leave my house at 5:00 to get to a game that starts at 7:00. I don't get home until 11:00 at night. Traffic in this area is hell and people just don't want to fight it getting to the city (495 traffic is brutal. You come to a complete stop) once you get to the city you have to fight another 45 minutes to get to the Verizon Center and then find parking and get something to eat. It becomes a chore and not a fun night out.
DJDark41
10/20/07 4:17:04PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by DJDark41

Posted by DCRage

#1-NFL
#2-NASCAR
#3-MLB
#4-NBA

This is a Skins town. Always have, always will. The Skins have been here since 1937. Caps since 1974. The Caps have a hard core following (which I am part of. season tickets for years) but this isn't a hockey town. Moving to the Verizon Center in DC has really hurt.

They have lost alot of Balimore area fans by moving to DC. I live 40 miles away. I have to leave my house at 5:00 to get to a game that starts at 7:00. I don't get home until 11:00 at night. Traffic in this area is hell and people just don't want to fight it getting to the city (495 traffic is brutal. You come to a complete stop) once you get to the city you have to fight another 45 minutes to get to the Verizon Center and then find parking and get something to eat. It becomes a chore and not a fun night out.

I understand, but I'm a die-hard hockey fan so I would do anything to watch Ovechkin play. I was lucky enough to go to Rangers/Capitals at MSG about a week ago and had 3 of my dreams come true. See Alex Ovechkin play(scored the Caps only goal that night.) See Jaromir Jagr play, and play good(3 assists, a point on every Rangers goal) and see Henrik Lundqvist play good(stopped like 26 or 27 shots.)