NFL News and Free Agency!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » NFL News and Free Agency!
Next Page »
Kpro
7/25/11 12:40:20AM
We should get the news today (Monday) that Free agency begins in 24-48 hours.

While we wait for the never-ending breaking news free agent signings that no one will be able to keep up with since they're cramming 4 months into a few days, who do you want your team to get or at least who do you think they'll get? Something to discuss while we wait to start updating the signings.

I think my Seahawks #1 goal has to be re-signing Brandon Mebane and targeting a guy like Jonathan Joseph at CB hopefully. I'm all but convinced that we're going to let Hasselbeck walk and pull in Tarvaris Jackson to compete with Charlie Whitehurst as our QB since our new OC Bevell spent the last half decade in Minnesota and Tarvaris knows the playbook. Not something another QB is going to learn in 2 weeks. That should set us up nicely for a chance at the Luck/Barkley sweepstakes......

This is going to be an insane week or two; any thoughts on your favorite team?
ChrisSabal
7/25/11 2:16:17AM
I don't see my favorite team in the Dolphins really making any big moves. Since they have signed Marshall and Dansby, and I would consider those pretty big moves so I don't see them making any really big moves. Oh and by the way the Dolphins are going for Luck. Hopefully we go 1-15 on purpose to get the man, the myth, and the legend they call Andrew Luck.
papercut
7/25/11 5:12:41AM
I'm only really hoping the Chargers will keep Vincent Jackson. I'm not sure how much he's asking in his contract but he is one of the most talented WRs in the league and is definitely someone they need to keep around.

Edit: and I believe they were in talks with Bob Sanders before the lockout so here's hoping they can scoop him up.
Kpro
7/25/11 5:27:53AM

Posted by papercut

Edit: and I believe they were in talks with Bob Sanders before the lockout so here's hoping they can scoop him up.

I wonder how much $$$ he'll get. NFL Defensive Player of the Year at 26 and now he's 30 and coming off of 3 tackles in the past 2 1/2 years due to injuries. Very high risk, but very high reward if he can stay healthy.
kingsmasher
7/25/11 9:58:56AM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by papercut

I wonder how much $$$ he'll get. NFL Defensive Player of the Year at 26 and now he's 30 and coming off of 3 tackles in the past 2 1/2 years due to injuries. Very high risk, but very high reward if he can stay healthy.

He should go to my team the Jaguars just to piss off the Colts...
emfleek
7/25/11 10:03:30AM

Posted by kingsmasher

He should go to my team the Jaguars just to piss off the Colts...

Considering they released him, I don't think it would piss them off too much. But it *would* be the highlight of the year for Jackoffville.

As much as I love Bob Sanders, I wouldn't waste a roster spot on him.

As for who the Colts will sign...likely no one really worth mentioning. They never make a splash in Free Agency.
cowcatcher
7/25/11 11:19:44AM
I think the Packers stand to lose players once free agency hits since teams tend to overpay for Super Bowl champions. James Jones and Darren College are probably gone, and that's fine with me as Jones drops WAAAAY too many passes and College is below average. Nick Barnett is probably gone too, they resigned Hawk for huge money so that spells the end for Barnett in GB. I can't see the Pack making a splash at all, they won with 2nd stringers all over last year so I'm guessing they are happy with their roster.

EDIT: Cullen Jenkins is gone too, he's going to get a big payday somewhere.
Twenty20Dollars
7/25/11 11:53:55AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about football.

I started hearing things on Favre and I was like oh no.
pmoney
7/25/11 12:56:49PM
I am an incredibly casual football fan. I played in High School, watched all growing up, I love the game, love playing it.... But it's probably my fourth most watched sport. I actually wouldn't have minded a year without Football, if it would have brought more fans and exposure to MMA.

Anyhow.... Cowboys are my team. They are going to do big things this year!

emfleek
7/25/11 1:09:23PM

Posted by pmoney

Cowboys are my team. They are going to do big things this year!

(don't ban me, hippysmacker!)
Pskinner_mma314
7/25/11 1:11:00PM

Posted by pmoney

I am an incredibly casual football fan. I played in High School, watched all growing up, I love the game, love playing it.... But it's probably my fourth most watched sport. I actually wouldn't have minded a year without Football, if it would have brought more fans and exposure to MMA.

Anyhow.... Cowboys are my team. They are going to do big things this year!

yeah Cowboys are my team too (we'll prolly get a lotta flaming for that)....but lets be real here.......WE SAY THAT EVERY YEAR!!!!!!

you jinxed it....epic fail
pmoney
7/25/11 2:23:28PM

Posted by Pskinner_mma314
yeah Cowboys are my team too (we'll prolly get a lotta flaming for that)....but lets be real here.......WE SAY THAT EVERY YEAR!!!!!!

you jinxed it....epic fail

Lol, my bad man, my bad.... I thought when we won our first playoff game in 13 years, we were destined for glory... then we lose to the Vikings, who lost to the Saints, who we had beat pretty good, at the Super Dome, if I am not mistaken....

I was just kidding about us doing big things this year! Our new coach is a joke, we'll probably get punked for our butts, there is no one good on the team....

I am a life long So-Cal resident anyways, so I should probably get with the program. I'm backing the Chargers! Ehhhh, I'd like a team that has a chance to win something this century.... Maybe the 49er's! Nah, they're no good..... Oooo, maybe I'll join Raider Nation! Then again, maybe I'll kill myself today, who knows...

Edit: Fleek! You want to bash the Cowboys? I will hurl derisive insults in your general direction! Or at least I would, if you weren't too busy supporting a perennial contender in the Colts!!!

hahaha, take that!!
Kpro
7/25/11 5:09:54PM
Free Agency begins Friday at 6pm EST!
Kpro
7/25/11 5:55:32PM
Trades begin Tuesday at 10am EST!

Kolb may have a new home in 16 hours.
ChrisSabal
7/25/11 7:45:05PM

Posted by papercut

I'm only really hoping the Chargers will keep Vincent Jackson. I'm not sure how much he's asking in his contract but he is one of the most talented WRs in the league and is definitely someone they need to keep around.

Almost positive Sanders is on the Chargers.
emfleek
7/25/11 9:52:41PM

Posted by ChrisSabal

Posted by papercut

Almost positive Sanders is on the Chargers.

They verbally agreed to a deal but it wasn't finalized before the lockout went in to effect.
Twenty20Dollars
7/25/11 11:57:18PM
I have pretty much tuned out football since the draft was over.

I'm more dissapointed that there will be no "Hard Knocks" this year.

But I have been in baseball mode and have the new show The Franchise: A season with the SF Giants on showtime to watch.

I saw Trey Wingo post somethings on Twitter about how much cap room some of the teams have, which ones have the highest and my chiefs were on it with about 30+ million, so we'll see.
emfleek
7/26/11 8:27:16AM
I vote for a lockout every year if free agency and trades go down like this every year.
Kpro
7/26/11 9:41:52AM
20 minutes and rookies and undrafted free agents can be signed, trades are allowed, players can enter team facilities, and teams can start negotiating with all free agents on their team and others.
emfleek
7/26/11 9:46:29AM
I've been hearing a lot about Reggie Bush potentially going to Indianapolis. I just don't see it happening...
Kpro
7/26/11 9:55:24AM

Posted by emfleek

I've been hearing a lot about Reggie Bush potentially going to Indianapolis. I just don't see it happening...

Players under contract can't be officially cut until Thursday, so the Saints have a couple day window to attempt a restructured contract. He'd be free to sign with any team after Friday at 6pm EST if he is cut. I can't see him going to Indy either.
Kpro
7/26/11 10:07:44AM
The undrafted rookie free agent signings are flooding in. We're up and running!

My Seahawks finally have 2 QB's on the roster. A Josh Portis from California University in Pennsylvania. Never knew there was a Cal U in PA. Apparently he was at Florida and Maryland but had legal problems and had to go to a Division II school. Sounds like camp fodder.

Fleek, your Colts just signed QB Nate "Learning Impediment" Davis to a 2 year deal. Again sounds like camp fodder.
cowcatcher
7/26/11 11:12:39AM

Posted by emfleek

I was listening to sports talk radio at 3am last night and those guys wouldn't shut about about Bush going to the Pats. Whoever gets the guy is going to be disappointed for 13-14 weeks this season. The other 2-3 they will be saying, "Finally, there's the reason we got him!" He's the equivalent of a streaky hitter in baseball.
emfleek
7/26/11 11:23:03AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by emfleek

I was listening to sports talk radio at 3am last night and those guys wouldn't shut about about Bush going to the Pats. Whoever gets the guy is going to be disappointed for 13-14 weeks this season. The other 2-3 they will be saying, "Finally, there's the reason we got him!" He's the equivalent of a streaky hitter in baseball.

Agreed. I keep hearing talk about how much he'd improve Indy's special teams, yadda yadda yadda. I know we were horrible on special teams last year (and in recent years) but that's not going to improve dramatically by added someone on PR or KR. Improve the blocking and *then* go for a return guy if you need to.
cowcatcher
7/26/11 11:31:06AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by emfleek

Agreed. I keep hearing talk about how much he'd improve Indy's special teams, yadda yadda yadda. I know we were horrible on special teams last year (and in recent years) but that's not going to improve dramatically by added someone on PR or KR. Improve the blocking and *then* go for a return guy if you need to.

Special teams is a tricky racket because so few PR/KR can make things happen on their own. Having backups at all positions that want to contribute on special teams certainly helps, and those guys being able to block isn't the worst thing either. The Packers special teams have been atrocious pretty much since we had Desmond Howard, and he seems a lot better than he really was because of his Super Bowl performance. We drafted a WR/returner named something Cobb this year to hopefully shore up that area, but like you said it starts with the other 10 guys.
Twenty20Dollars
7/26/11 11:49:06AM
I think I remember that the Bucs had the most to spend with about 56 million.
Kpro
7/26/11 12:18:03PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I think I remember that the Bucs had the most to spend with about 56 million.

Yeah, the Seahawks were 2nd with forty-something million but it's completely misleading as they have 23 free agents from their roster last year. I imagine most of the teams with the most to spend just happen to have the least signed players until they start getting their own players back under contract.
emfleek
7/26/11 2:06:25PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Mike Brown has to be the dumbest man in the NFL. Why on Earth would you hold a player hostage if he doesn't want to play for you? You're letting him retire...okay...what, exactly, are you getting out of the deal? NOTHING. Trade him and get something in return, you flipping idiot. This is one of the dozens of reasons that your franchise is a complete joke!
Twenty20Dollars
7/26/11 5:34:09PM
I was actually looking forward to Goodell's salary being $1.

Wonder what he would have spent it on.
kopower
7/26/11 7:31:40PM
Wow, the Seahawks lose Hasslebeck and gain Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Leinart. Good luck with that pair.

Sounds like the VIkes are trying to get McNabb. Although I think he's done, I don't mind having him for a year or two while Ponder get's a peak at the big leagues.
Pages: [1] 2