THE NFL: Who (or what) do you hate the most?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » THE NFL: Who (or what) do you hate the most?
« Previous Page
BlueSkiesBurn
8/23/10 5:17:52PM
Also, Fleek, to my knowledge, I don't think Tony Dungy was prompted to comment about the swearing. I don't have the audio of the interview, but I believe he was simply asked about Hard Knocks. He then proceeded to give his "holier-than-thou" opinion on swearing.

I say holier-than-thou because this is how I feel. I'm not suggesting that others feel this way. I'll tell you why I perceive it to be a holier-than-thou attitude.

Let's milk Dungy's quote:

"I have not watched it. I've gotten the reports. I'm disappointed with all the profanity. I think Rex can make his points without all that."

If Dungy ends here I am completely fine with what he's had to say. This is a personal expression on excessive foul language and how it's received by a particular individual. Being a foul-mouthed individual myself, I have had numerous people say something to me akin to this on a weekly basis. I can appreciate, respect, and understand this point of view.

Now for the holier-than-thou portion of Dungy's comments.

"Personally, I don't want my players to be around that," he said." I don't want to be around that. If I were in charge, I wouldn't hire someone like that."

Here's where he takes his POV and flips into what *HE* would do and what *HE* would not do. That's the definition of holier-than-thou. Expressing his feelings regarding Ryan's swearing is one thing. Saying he would hire someone else is an entirely different matter.

Fleek, forget this is Dungy and Ryan we are talking about here for a moment and look at the quote as if this were any other religious person saying this to *YOU* if you were a football coach. I'm pretty sure you'd think the same thing I am thinking. I have no vested interest in Dungy or Ryan, so I just objectively look at this situation for what it is:

A religious man chastising another man for his lifestyle while, in the same breath, saying what he would do if he had the ability to change it. Holier-than-thou.
Jackelope
8/23/10 5:57:37PM
You guys see the latest news about Haynesworth? Add that to the list of things that piss me off- Players avoiding training camp. You lazy ass mother @#$@#^. This would NEVER happen in old school football.

I say good for Shanahan and down with Haynesworth. I don't want to say too much though because I'll get too fired up and say something stupid.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Shanahan-strikes-back-Coach-says-Haynesworth-mu?urn=nfl-264521
hippysmacker
8/23/10 11:06:31PM
Who- TO and Haynesworth

What -The prevent defense and field goal kickers. If it were up to me I would abolish the Kickers altogether. The backup QB could throw the kickoff down field and you would ether have to punt or go for it on 4th down. I have lost track of how many games I have lost playing & coaching becuase a guy can't make chipshot field goal , and a few times even an extra point.

Also ,I am a religious man, don't like foul language much myself and still think Rex Ryan is hilarious on hard knocks .It's on HBO, so it's not like it's available to everyone, and I think parents who won't tolerate that language shouldn't let there kids watch it. I would rather play or coach for Dungy, but mouth aside , it's imposible to deny how much Rex loves the game IMO. I have been around a lot of coaches and most do cuss a fair bit, but I have been around some who don't cuss at all ,or at least very sparingly like when it's just slips out when your ticked. I fall into the later category myself.
babalu46
8/24/10 8:48:53AM
People like Haynesworth should just be banned from the sport. Not just because he's acting like a total f**kwit but because i can see someone taking him on if he left the 'skins, and IMO if you decide to act the way he has you don't deserve to play. There are plenty of players out there who would do anything to make an NFL roster and realise their dream of playing pro football and instead they have to see this douche be the highest paid defensive player in the league
emfleek
8/24/10 9:10:09AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Also, Fleek, to my knowledge, I don't think Tony Dungy was prompted to comment about the swearing. I don't have the audio of the interview, but I believe he was simply asked about Hard Knocks. He then proceeded to give his "holier-than-thou" opinion on swearing.

He was, in a roundabout Dan Patrick-like way, prompted/provoked/baited. It's not like Tony just decided to spout off and rant about Hard Knocks or the Jets.

LINK

Original audio of the interview - LINK

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Here's where he takes his POV and flips into what *HE* would do and what *HE* would not do. That's the definition of holier-than-thou. Expressing his feelings regarding Ryan's swearing is one thing. Saying he would hire someone else is an entirely different matter.

So, by your definition, you're acting holier-than-thou by saying you would never act holier-than-thou? And again...he was asked whether or not he'd hire someone that uses that kind of language so frequently. He's answering a yes or no question.

Fleek, forget this is Dungy and Ryan we are talking about here for a moment and look at the quote as if this were any other religious person saying this to *YOU* if you were a football coach. I'm pretty sure you'd think the same thing I am thinking. I have no vested interest in Dungy or Ryan, so I just objectively look at this situation for what it is:

I personally don't think names have anything to do with it. Replace Dungy and Ryan with any other 2 people and my feelings would be the same. I believe I stated that earlier when I said I can't stand being around That Guy who can't say anything without tossing in 2 or 3 f-bombs per sentence.

A religious man chastising another man for his lifestyle while, in the same breath, saying what he would do if he had the ability to change it. Holier-than-thou.

A man stating (religion aside since not one religious comment/statement was made) what he believes is right and wrong, while at the same time answering a question, is not necessarily holier-than-thou. If that's the case, we're all guilty of it. I think the fact that Dungy *is* a religious man is why so many people are taking offense to what he's said/done.

Again...it's all about opinions. I'm not going to change yours and you're not going to change mine. I just don't see how what Dungy is doing (and has done) can be perceived as such a bad thing.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/24/10 4:15:44PM

Posted by emfleek

So, by your definition, you're acting holier-than-thou by saying you would never act holier-than-thou? And again...he was asked whether or not he'd hire someone that uses that kind of language so frequently. He's answering a yes or no question.

I'm the biggest holier-than-thou SOB on the planet. I think that's why I hate it so much. People tend not to get along with themselves.

For the record, you're right, you won't change my opinion and I won't change yours, I was just trying to give you insight into WHY I thought that way and made my initial statement.
Pages: 1 2 [3]