NFL Fighters?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » NFL Fighters?
Pitbull09
8/5/07 2:30:46PM
Do you think Brian Urlacher or Tomlinson could have had a sucessful MMA Career if they had trained for that instead of football when they were younger? I seriously think Tomlinson could've been good if he went into that sport
ocho-cinco
8/5/07 3:28:59PM
there are tons of guys from other sports that could have been awsome fighters. Imagine Shaq training since he was a teen, or Ron Artest.
AmericanFighterAce
8/5/07 3:52:25PM
I dunno, look at Johnnie Morton, he got rocked.

Now I know you are saying if they never did their sport, and just did MMA.

I would of loved to see Bill Romanoski, step foot into an octagon, or a ring.

Ray Lewis, wow.. that would be very very scary.
Same with Shawne Merriman or Adalius Thomas.
Any O/D Lineman.

I think, people like Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, Larry Fitzgerald would have fast hands, but horrible ground game.
Twenty20Dollars
8/5/07 4:09:50PM
this is stupid.
Telly_152
8/5/07 4:22:32PM
no doubt in my mind that they would of been good boxers but mma is totally different, gotta be nimble and flexible.
Tons33
8/5/07 4:51:17PM
Mugsy Bogues would be a dominant bantamweight.
loonytnt
8/5/07 5:01:32PM
lol this topic is dumb, 75% of people that would have trained that long would have to be good(if they did mma rather then football), just because you have people HELPING them take others down 80% of the time does not mean they would be good fighter, yes NFL players are tough,strong and fast but that is in football, ive had 6'4 310lb guys come in and ive taped them out they they where 10years old so there is NO way you could tell if they would be good or not
Aries2343
8/5/07 5:48:54PM
I thnk that if Shawne Marriman didn't take steroids and trained he would be a great MMA star have you seen that guy hit oh you can feel it just by watching it
Ydoc
8/5/07 10:15:04PM
For years it has always been about the money, and now that MMA is starting to get more popular expect to see more top athletes pick fighting over other organized sports.
ncordless
8/6/07 12:25:09AM
I think that Bobb Sapp's "NFL style" has shown that the technique has it's flaws in crossing over to mma.

nfl style
MattHughes
8/6/07 12:33:07AM

Posted by ocho-cinco

there are tons of guys from other sports that could have been awsome fighters.

Exactly any good athlete, if trained in MMA would probly be good with the proper training.
Trapt1nw0nder
8/6/07 12:37:59AM

Posted by Pitbull09

Do you think Brian Urlacher or Tomlinson could have had a sucessful MMA Career if they had trained for that instead of football when they were younger? I seriously think Tomlinson could've been good if he went into that sport

If Micheal Jackson would of started off training MMA when he was young he could of been just as successful with your logic.....but fighters have something inside of them that make them fighters,and you cant teach an kid without a fighters heart now to be successful...bottom line
ocho-cinco
8/6/07 12:50:16AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

this is stupid.

hahahahaha, prety much
Violentcuv
8/6/07 10:25:05AM
LT??

He is a running back not a fighter. Maybe some of the top defensive players like listed earlier in this thread could pull it off, but not LT.
pv3Hpv3p
8/6/07 10:52:33AM
I agree, this is pretty stupid...

The question really is could an athlete blessed with a ton of quick-twitch muscle fibers, great reflexes, and a good work ethic become a great fighter?

Sure, why not... The only big difference between top level athletes is that they train differently, be it MMA, football, soccer, or whatever
SpiderSilva
8/6/07 11:16:32AM
What happen to Micheal Westbrook last I herd he was doing OK but remember when he beat the hell out of a teamate during practice the last fight i saw of his was in KOTC
BigTomZ
8/7/07 5:00:51PM

Posted by ncordless

I think that Bobb Sapp's "NFL style" has shown that the technique has it's flaws in crossing over to mma.

nfl style

Yeah but Sapp was dominating Big Nog until he gassed. He has shown tons of potential as well as flaws.
szucconi
8/7/07 5:13:58PM

Posted by AmericanFighterAce

Ray Lewis, wow.. that would be very very scary.

Lewis is a bum. He has done very little since Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa left the team. He is way overrated and I hate him.