News from Shooto, Standing 8 count rule, and strikes to the back of the head to go by '09.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » News from Shooto, Standing 8 count rule, and strikes to the back of the head to go by '09.
Believe-in-judo81
6/19/08 1:03:08AM
Well, it's happening finally, G&P strikes to the back of the head and the standing 8 count will be gone from ALL Shooto bouts by the start of next year. The fans and fighters all like the new rules for the most part, and I don't see there being any real controversy around it, especially with guys like BJ Kojima and Rumina Sato voicing their support of it. As far as I can make out they are implementing the striking rule immediately in class A matches, but are waiting on the other changes until this year's rookie tournament wraps up. I for one am pumped, this should make for more exciting and better paced fights, and make Shooto easier to swallow for new fans. As I see it it's only a good thing.

Any thoughts?
hotrodttt
6/19/08 2:18:16AM
I like the fact that these rules are leaving, I think it'll kame the Fights better. Also, I wish BJ would have listened to his coaches and not have went up to 132. Now he left his old camp Do you think he'll be as dominant over Yamaguchi as his last Fight ? I can't wait for the # 1 Flyweight in the World to come back to form.
Believe-in-judo81
6/21/08 4:22:40AM
Mamouru is fun to watch, but isn't nearly as good as BJ, Yasu Urushitani, or Masa Abe. He should get handled still, but he has dangerous kicks and is a strong athletic guy. If BJ overlooks him it could be a win for Mamouru.
hotrodttt
8/3/08 3:01:27AM

Posted by Believe-in-judo81

Mamouru is fun to watch, but isn't nearly as good as BJ, Yasu Urushitani, or Masa Abe. He should get handled still, but he has dangerous kicks and is a strong athletic guy. If BJ overlooks him it could be a win for Mamouru.

Yeah and what's up with BJ wanting to Stand and Trade, he thinks he's some sort of Great Stand Up Fighter and It could get him into trouble which I thought would happen against Yamaguchi but he prevailed. Also the Shooto Judging gets on my nerves sometimes, BJ was given that unjust Draw against Urushitani
RMFG_187
8/3/08 4:09:36PM
WTF is this, amateur boxing? no strikes 2 the back of the head are good, but standing 8 count? Thats ridiculous
ncordless
8/3/08 5:38:35PM

Posted by RMFG_187

WTF is this, amateur boxing? no strikes 2 the back of the head are good, but standing 8 count? Thats ridiculous

They are getting rid of the standing eight count. Shooto rules are older than any other MMA org., and have become outdated.

You've never heard of Shooto?