News From Japan: PRIDE On Victory Road?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » News From Japan: PRIDE On Victory Road?
DCRage
10/12/07 8:04:48AM
Among various MMA-related items coming out of Japan today is that a new promotion called World Victory Road Inc. could become the new PRIDE in Japan. A handful of wealthy and prominent names with MMA and wrestling connections are expected to attend a news conference scheduled for Monday in Tokyo.

Article

It's worth noting that World #1 LW Takanori Gomi is said to be headed to this new company already, and Yasuda's connections and clout could easily help stack the roster with notable names that could help its appeal among Japanese fans.
CornishMMA
10/12/07 8:40:05AM

PRIDE is alive ............. just disguised
Naturaldisaster
10/12/07 8:48:06AM
should be pretty interesting.
MMAnomale
10/12/07 10:07:02AM
I miss Pride. There's just one thing I have a problem with. Because of the rise in popularity of MMA and new fans, some bandwagon, there are new org's sprouting up everywhere. That's a good thing, but it can also have bad repurcussions. I think there should be one organization, probably the UFC (although I wish it would've been Pride) that should be like the NFL of MMA. Other org's could be second-tier with fighters trying to prove themselves to get up to that level. The reason for this is that we'd get to see all the best fighters fight against eachother, and there would be no more what if's. What if such and such would fight such and such? No more of that crap. No more hypotheticals. However, unfortanetely, that is not the case. I have been a fan of MMA for nine years, and I will continue to watch as long as I live. I just don't like the fact that we'll never see certain fights that should be seen, and that would determine who's the better fighter. I'd like to see Fedor fight Couture and AA, Barnett, and others. And because of these new org's, we'll never get a chance to see these fights (probably).
The best HW is going to be in some org in Russia. One of, if not the, best LW (Gomi) is going to be in an org in Japan. The best LHW's are in the UFC, along with the best WW's and probably MW's as well. The best collection of HW's are in the UFC, but the best HW is not. This sucks. I love new leagues, and the team competitions in the IFL and the new team league in Brazil, I love K-1, Elite XC, WEC, Bodog, and every other org. But I wish that some of these leagues could make deals that would allow, for example, Fedor fight in the UFC for one fight, and then a great fighter from the UFC could go fight in the other league for one fight. But with everyone's stubborness and worrying about money and all that crap and contract disputes, none of this will ever happen.
I would love to see this league become the new Pride. I just think the fans are missing out of seeing the best possible fights and I can't invision any way of this being fixed.
CornishMMA
10/12/07 10:17:31AM
Not for certain tho - PRIDE made it difficult to work with the UFC and never gave any of their fighters back to have those kinds of fights, i think this new rebranded org may tho (Gomi may be the only real top champ you would want to see fight the UFC champ tho) however id say its doubtfull M1 would, especially if they snap up Randy in a few months time when he is free
Rush
10/12/07 11:05:49AM
Wow, I must have the gift of foresight lately. If this happens it's basically just as I predicted.
keith-hackney1
10/12/07 11:12:25AM
the samurai never dies ... pridefc back in some shape or form, brilliant !!!
warglory
10/12/07 1:13:13PM
Man, I really hope this goes through. We need some major competition in Japan, there is just that weird void in the world without a major competitor in Japan (and no, HERO's is not a major competitor)
richieb19
10/12/07 1:26:54PM

Posted by warglory

Man, I really hope this goes through. We need some major competition in Japan, there is just that weird void in the world without a major competitor in Japan (and no, HERO's is not a major competitor)

I really believe it is, and it's getting bigger every time. The only problem is that people aren't watching. I mean they just had an incredible card, showcasing a LW division thats leaps and bounds ahead of the UFC's, and even brought in two new "top ten" LHW's to fight each other, yet theres no one even paying attention. HERO'S has signed so many awesome fighters, and is making incredible matchups. HERO'S is definitely a major competitor.
warglory
10/12/07 2:02:40PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by warglory

I really believe it is, and it's getting bigger every time. The only problem is that people aren't watching. I mean they just had an incredible card, showcasing a LW division thats leaps and bounds ahead of the UFC's, and even brought in two new "top ten" LHW's to fight each other, yet theres no one even paying attention. HERO'S has signed so many awesome fighters, and is making incredible matchups. HERO'S is definitely a major competitor.

I agree they put on some great shows, but that means nothing unless the world is watching. I don't think they even have US PPVs do they? Once they turn that corner and get some TV deals internationally, then I may rethink my position.
cmill21
10/12/07 2:25:18PM
Richie they aren't even putting Hero's on Canadian PPV! I don't know if they did in the US but it's hard to watch if you can't lol. I agree though Hero's has the money to compete, I just wish they would get it in the proper TV markets.
Cladrix
10/12/07 2:37:21PM
This new organization sounds pretty interesting....... I cant wait till it starts.

I hope they do the Lightweight Grand Prix that Pride had planned to do but couldnt do after the UFC bought them.
babalu2720
10/12/07 3:18:35PM
Good I like having a competing org in japan, I don't know what it is, but even though HEROES has good fighters it doesn't hook me like the UFC or PRIDE...wonder what fighters will go to this new org, some of the best free agents are already off the market
NatedawgThaM
10/12/07 3:36:09PM
Cool cool. Maybe Fedor can work something out so he can fight here too? They'll probably sign Josh Barnett. Dennis Khang is probably kicking himself for signing to K-1 were theres not really any good middleweights. Other Pride fighters who are signing to the UFC must be kicking themselves too. I will be looking forward to watching this promotion grow into something big.maybe even bigger the Pride? Nah that's just stupid, theres only one pride.But I look foward to watching the new PRIDE!!!

Hopefully they sign Kevin Randleman & Mark Coleman too!
loller90278
10/12/07 4:46:38PM
this is the best week in MMA ever.

first fedor signing in m1
randy retiring
chuck vs wandy verbally agreed
pride returning in a new name