Newcomer Paulo Thiago likely to debut against Josh Koscheck at UFC 95

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Newcomer Paulo Thiago likely to debut against Josh Koscheck at UFC 95
Wolfenstein
1/5/09 2:55:51PM
UFC newcomer and undefeated Brazilian prospect Paulo Thiago (7-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has agreed to meet veteran welterweight Josh Koscheck (12-3 MMA, 10-3 UFC) next month at UFC 95.

link
McBee
1/5/09 3:06:18PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

UFC newcomer and undefeated Brazilian prospect Paulo Thiago (7-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) has agreed to meet veteran welterweight Josh Koscheck (12-3 MMA, 10-3 UFC) next month at UFC 95.

link

so does anybody give this Paulo guy a chance or is this just a replay of Yoshida?
cowcatcher
1/5/09 3:15:25PM
just watched paulos last fight and he won by doing nothing(the guy tried some crazy flying kick and hurt his knee) so unless kos tries a crazy flying kick he should be ok.
Jackelope
1/5/09 3:15:33PM
With the names Paulo and Thiago both in his name you might as well give him the title now
finnish_line
1/5/09 3:25:14PM

Thiago Alves
Thiago Silva
Paulo Thiago

Debuting at UFC 100: "Alves Silva."
Wolfenstein
1/5/09 3:33:07PM
Most likely this will be a HL reel knockout. You can watch almost all his vids on youtube. If you watch the fight promotion "Jungle Fight" (whichis an awesome promotion to watch upcoming Brazilian fighters) then you've probably seen him before. He has great submissions, and can get chokes from all over the place. Once this guy gets a hold of your neck it's bedtime. The knock on him is that he's very green in the striking department.

It's kind of an odd matchup. Kos's last 4 opponents have been Yoshida, Alves, Lytle, and Hazellet. Now he gets a random newcomer? I just don't get what the draw is here.
postman
1/5/09 3:40:53PM
Heres a HLYou Tube
ncordless
1/5/09 3:42:00PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by Wolfenstein

link

so does anybody give this Paulo guy a chance or is this just a replay of Yoshida?

Why? Is Paulo Thiago a converted judoka?

Actually... here is a paulo thiago highlight vid link

Seems to have a pretty exciting skillset. Obviously this a huge jump for him from Jungle Fight. I don't give him much of a chance, but you never know.
higdon10
1/5/09 4:11:25PM
What a joke. Koscheck should get a bigger name.
McBee
1/5/09 4:29:50PM

Posted by higdon10

yeah I was trying to figure out if I missed something like that he is the BJJ world champ and Muay Thai World champ. That is always how it is when a new guy comes in and beats a vet, "what are you talking about, this guy has been around forever"
ohiostate1016
1/5/09 4:32:59PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by higdon10

yeah I was trying to figure out if I missed something like that he is the BJJ world champ and Muay Thai World champ. That is always how it is when a new guy comes in and beats a vet, "what are you talking about, this guy has been around forever"

Yeah, that's what people told me AFTER I picked Ryan Jensen over Demian Maia and lost.
scoozna
1/5/09 4:38:58PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by higdon10

Exactly.

The UFC is at the point, now, where they wouldn't give Kos a total can. The temptation is to think that he's a nobody because we may not know his name.

I hate to try and get into Joe Silva's psyche, but he must be a threat to Kos in some way. If it ain't standing up, then it must be because he's a "phenom" on the ground. Either way, I couldn't pick against Kos here.
prozacnation1978
1/5/09 6:10:37PM
never heard of the guy, i think kos could get better than that even have him fight rory or dan hardy or something this spike one is not looking to shabby
Twenty20Dollars
1/5/09 6:29:56PM
Koscheck via KO by Uppercut from hell
pinoymixplaya
1/5/09 7:38:49PM
this is a lose-lose situation for Kos: if he wins the fight, then it would be against a new comer who isn't top 10 in the world but if he loses, then his status as a top contender in the WW rankings significantly drops a la Werdum v. Dos Santos....
EvenFlow
1/5/09 7:43:33PM
Lol everybody always hates on the new guy and says they dont deserve such a test then they knockout or submit a "somebody" funny how quick people jump bandwagons, not that I think this guy is anything special but you get my point.
wapttn
1/5/09 7:52:49PM
has anybody considered that this has to do with whats going on between dana and aka?

Fitch has just been put on the undercard... it may still be televised, but fitch's last fight was a contender for fight of the year, and a 5 round war for the ww title against one of the sports future legends... fitch's drawing power is huge, theres obviously alterior motives to putting him on the undercard. Those alterior motives are likely to have something to do with aka's reluctance to sign the rights to the fighter's likeness agreement.

I dont know this for sure at this point, but theres a definate possibility that despite kos's obvious ability to compete against upper tier fighters, dana/silva are sending him a message telling him that his climb to a title shot is whatever they want it to be
Nitrus
1/5/09 8:15:57PM
But maybe you guys will have a surprise with Paulo, he's a great up and comer fighters, just like Mendes, but I think he'll face the wrong guy.
Mendes is being underrated in this fight with Schafer (just looking the odds), but he's a way better fighter than he showed against Thiago.

I think the same will happen with Paulo, he'll face the wrong guy. Kos is flying over his opponents, and I think he'll do the same. But probably you'll heard more of Paulo Thiago than what you think
jocka
1/5/09 9:38:19PM
I think it has more to do with the fact that Kos doesn't have a lot of fighters he could fight right now, KOs probably ask to fight as soon as possible and thats who they found.

We all want him to fight Switck but thats not gonna happend who else is there for him except a new commer plus aint that what they did to Fitch before he fought for the title, they gave him a guy called the professor sorry i can't remember his name but yeah.

At least He is staying active and getting better and better, maybee he can ko someone else. One thing is for sure am picking KOS to win this one.
Jackelope
1/5/09 10:03:23PM

Posted by wapttn

has anybody considered that this has to do with whats going on between dana and aka?

Fitch has just been put on the undercard... it may still be televised, but fitch's last fight was a contender for fight of the year, and a 5 round war for the ww title against one of the sports future legends... fitch's drawing power is huge, theres obviously alterior motives to putting him on the undercard. Those alterior motives are likely to have something to do with aka's reluctance to sign the rights to the fighter's likeness agreement.

I dont know this for sure at this point, but theres a definate possibility that despite kos's obvious ability to compete against upper tier fighters, dana/silva are sending him a message telling him that his climb to a title shot is whatever they want it to be

that was my line of thinking
DosBox
1/6/09 12:22:34AM
Good acquisition for the UFC, but a bit interesting that he is placed against Kos.

Im pretty sure another Jungle Fight veteran got picked up in the UFC recently as well (Ronnys Torres). Would also like either the UFC or WEC pick up Torres' teammate (I believe) out of Nova Uniao in Hacran Dias.

Anyway, I like Kos in this fight. Too well rounded, I like Kos to take him down and try to work him like he did to Lytle after testing the stand up for a few minutes.
sparky
1/6/09 2:15:51AM
You dont give a newcomer to Koscheck just doesnt seem like a good idea to be honest. Koscheck is one of the best welter weights in the world. This is just another guy for Koscheck to practice his strikes on. Hopefully another highlight reel KO!!
Wolfenstein
1/6/09 2:47:01AM
A recent report states that Thiago has been signed to a one fight deal. I gues he's really going to have to prove himself if he wants a shot at an extension.
ncordless
1/6/09 4:40:01AM

Posted by DosBox

Good acquisition for the UFC, but a bit interesting that he is placed against Kos.

Im pretty sure another Jungle Fight veteran got picked up in the UFC recently as well (Ronnys Torres). Would also like either the UFC or WEC pick up Torres' teammate (I believe) out of Nova Uniao in Hacran Dias.

Anyway, I like Kos in this fight. Too well rounded, I like Kos to take him down and try to work him like he did to Lytle after testing the stand up for a few minutes.

Hadn't heard that but that would be freakin' great! Ronnys Torres and Jose Aldo are two great young talents from Nova Uniao whose striking is almost as good as their bjj. Aldo is starting to make waves in WEC and I would love to see Torres do the same.
whardin19
1/6/09 8:13:57AM
I don't get how this fight helps Koscheck in the end. He's got nothing to gain and everything to lose in a fight like this.
Wallass
1/6/09 9:10:58AM
Yeah this is a dumb fight, no offense to Paulo but if Kos is gonna get back in title contention, this is not the fight. I guess thats what happens when other top ten welterweights who KOS could be fighting are friends and refuse to fight one another ( KOS, Fitch and Swick). Damn friendships.
MMAcca
1/6/09 1:16:46PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

A recent report states that Thiago has been signed to a one fight deal. I gues he's really going to have to prove himself if he wants a shot at an extension.

LINK