UFC newcomer Denis Stojnic to face Cain Velasquez at UFC Fight Night 17

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC newcomer Denis Stojnic to face Cain Velasquez at UFC Fight Night 17
MMAcca
12/18/08 2:01:47PM
Bosnia and Herzegovina-based UFC newcomer Denis Stojnic (5-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will meet highly regarded UFC heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez (4-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) in February at UFC Fight Night 17.

The event takes place Feb. 7 at the USF Sun Dome in Tampa, Fla.

The night's main card will air on Spike TV, though it's unknown if the Stojnic-Velasquez bout will be a part of the two-hour broadcast.

LINK
ohiostate1016
12/18/08 2:11:06PM
Should be an easy win for Cain, especially since this guy can't even finish the lower-level fighters that he's faced so far.
Wallass
12/18/08 2:41:16PM
Poor Denis. Potentially getting finished quick in his UFC debut.
Bowen50
12/18/08 2:44:54PM
Cain by mauling 50 seconds into the first
Wolfenstein
12/18/08 4:09:39PM
Didn't he fight on a card with Semmy Schilt "Lord of the Ring". If he's the guy I'm thinking of he's basically a kickboxer. I mean I know Cain is still relatively new to the sport, but make a competetive matchup stylistically at least. He did just recently beat Jake O' Brien weho is at least two steps above Denis. I'd be stunned if this fight lasts more than two minutes.
bosanceros
12/18/08 5:23:11PM
goo bosniaaa finaly we got a fighter in the ufc....he probably lose but w/e
tallica62
12/18/08 5:26:21PM
does he deserve a shot with cain this early?
ziegler3334
12/18/08 6:58:37PM
He does not deserve a shot at cain this early. But this is hardly a shot at cain. I think cain will finish him within 2 minutes for sure. Can't wait till he gets to face a tougher opponent.
Mayhem13
12/18/08 9:50:02PM
Cain rnd 1 RNC (1:08)
imanidiot777
12/18/08 10:25:57PM
Cain Velasquez is a BEAST!!!! I've been talking about this guy before anyone knew who he was. He will win in less than one minute.
Pit-Bull
1/8/09 3:28:23PM
ooooooooo come on people Denis is a great fighter and he will kick Cains ass I know it and so do you.
Cain is a great fighter but he is not bether.
So i guaranty you that "Desni Pit-Bull Stojnic" will beat him so dont write shit.
You people dont know who is Denis.
Denis will be the heavyweight champion.
cowcatcher
1/8/09 3:29:53PM

Posted by Pit-Bull

ooooooooo come on people Denis is a great fighter and he will kick Cains ass I know it and so do you.
Cain is a great fighter but he is not bether.
So i guaranty you that "Desni Pit-Bull Stojnic" will beat him so dont write shit.
You people dont know who is Denis.
Denis will be the heavyweight champion.

your tenure here was brief,, but we all learned a lot
jiujitsufreak74
1/8/09 3:35:50PM
Booooooooooooooooooooo Joe Silva
bls1919
1/8/09 10:17:36PM
They are really tryin to build Cain up I think. Not to bash but Stojnic doesn't sound like anything special. Wins all by decision in his past 4 wins. Cain doesn't mess with the judges he puts you to sleep. Hopefully after his third KO victory Joe Silva Throws Cain a tough oponent. Or at least Justin McCully. He won his last fight. Cain will be at the top as soon as he gets his wins in and climbs the ladder.........oh wait how did Brock leap frog???? HUH. I'm Confused. Sorry......no need for flamage
Pit-Bull
1/8/09 10:52:50PM

Posted by cowcatcher
your tenure here was brief,, but we all learned a lot

Denis Stojnic a 28 yearold fighter from Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegvina.
He is form Golden Glory team.
very strong fighter
Professional MMA Record: 5-0-0
This fight will explain everything go to this link and see.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iXeBtiHWag&feature=related
Pit-Bull
1/8/09 11:04:08PM

Posted by bls1919

They are really tryin to build Cain up I think. Not to bash but Stojnic doesn't sound like anything special. Wins all by decision in his past 4 wins. Cain doesn't mess with the judges he puts you to sleep. Hopefully after his third KO victory Joe Silva Throws Cain a tough oponent. Or at least Justin McCully. He won his last fight. Cain will be at the top as soon as he gets his wins in and climbs the ladder.........oh wait how did Brock leap frog???? HUH. I'm Confused. Sorry......no need for flamage

Cain is a good fighter he prove that in the past fights.
This fight will be one of the best fights, and the better fighter will win
But I am Stojnic fan and i say he will win and that he is a better fighter.

DosBox
1/9/09 12:37:59AM
Stojnic has shown a decent enough wrestling/sprawl ability to do pretty well in the smaller shows, but in the UFC (especially against Velasquez) I do not think it will cut it. He has somewhat sloppy hands but does have pretty good leg kicks.

In a lot of his fights it looks like a key weapon of his is using his knees to the head of a grounded opponent, which unfortunately is illegal in the UFC. Without being able to resort to one of his "go to" moves is definitely going to change his strategy for the fight. He already has a tough task to face a guy like Cain, but to fight him without using a good tool in his arsenal is not going to bode well for Stojnic IMO.

I am okay with the UFC to set up Velasquez against Stojnic. Velasquez is still rather unknown to the casual fans (4-0 pro record I believe), and I think a big reason why IMO he is getting set up against these kinds of fighters is because the UFC is trying to build him up. He is a hot prospect in the MMA world, and having him set to fight to what some might refer to as "sub-par competition" means that he can by trial and error use other techniques to win the fight rather than to just resort to his wrestling to win decisions against more skilled opponents ( a little wordy, but I hope it makes sense).

With a win and a good showing takes Cain at 3-0 in the UFC. I would expect the UFC would test him from here on out. Not discrediting Stojnic at all, he has good size with room for improvement, I just think he will simply be out matched in this fight.
Pit-Bull
1/9/09 1:13:29AM
I canot agree with you.
Stojnic will be up for this fight.
He trains very hard in Netherland, and with the best coches .
I belive that Stojnic can suprise everyone by wining the fight.
Cain has no expirience in UFC he had 4 fights but thats nothing.
Denis had a lots of fights but not on this level.
So i belive that this is going to be a thigt fight and that Denis will win. Cain is a good fighter and so i Sojnic as I sad the fight is going to thigt.
LuffyvsNog
2/6/09 7:51:58PM

Posted by bosanceros

goo bosniaaa finaly we got a fighter in the ufc....he probably lose but w/e

Next is a turkish fighter.
bls1919
2/7/09 7:47:20PM

Posted by tallica62

does he deserve a shot with cain this early?

Probably not but the UFC is looking to make Cain a star. A huge KO win on national TV doesn't hurt that cause at all. Sorry denis but you were set up my man.