New York votes against sanctioning MMA, but all hope is not dead.

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » New York votes against sanctioning MMA, but all hope is not dead.
Bemin
6/11/08 5:07:14PM
Word has spread quickly throughout the MMA community that the state of New York's Committee on Tourism, Arts and Sports Development has overwhelmingly voted down a bill that would govern the regulation of MMA in the state.

However, according to an official within committee chair (and bill sponsor) Steve Engelbright's office, the bill is still very much alive with the committee, and it will be revisited at a committee session next Wednesday.

While our good friend Sam Caplan at FiveOuncesOfPain.com first reported that the "bill was voted down in overwhelming fashion," according to a member of a major state athletic commission, sources within Engelbright's office refuted that claim when contacted by MMAjunkie.com.

Link
tuvok500
6/11/08 5:09:54PM
The UFC just have to comeback to Montreal, we are ready for them at anytime !!

DCRage
6/11/08 5:12:31PM
Another source I've checked indicates this was the "big announcement". Didn't think it could've been about the NY regulation of MMA.
Mchubb316
6/11/08 5:13:36PM
I hope they can get it passed. A venue like Madison Square Garden would be sweet for MMA. Maybe do a New Years card there with 2 or 3 title fights. It would be insane.
teddythetuna
6/11/08 5:20:24PM
This commission must be run by a bunch of stubborn old farts. MMA IS a legit sport and its time to accept it. The news has more violence in a half an hour report than a whole ufc PPV. Should we cancel all the news programs?
D0wnUnd6e6r
6/11/08 5:23:20PM

Posted by tuvok500

The UFC just have to comeback to Montreal, we are ready for them at anytime !!

OH F*CK YEAH
Twenty20Dollars
6/11/08 5:24:18PM
wandy vs rampage 3 in New York would be huge

or wandy vs liddell 2 in new york. those would sell!
thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/11/08 7:22:22PM
I guess New York has enough tourism and commerce going already, that they don't need any more biz. MMA has come this far without New York so I think it will be ok.
jiujitsufreak74
6/11/08 7:36:32PM
i pray to God the sanction it eventually because i want to fgo to a Madison Square Garden show so badly!!!!!!!!
HumanTarget
6/11/08 9:49:05PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i pray to God the sanction it eventually because i want to fgo to a Madison Square Garden show so badly!!!!!!!!

Yeah, New York needs to get off their stupid hippy assholes and go sanction a ******* real sport instead of suppressing my freedoms and taxing the **** outta me.
DiabloFreak56
6/11/08 11:20:43PM
DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN IT
bootyclause
6/12/08 12:29:57AM
I will switch to being a Republican and never look back if damn liberals are too wimpy to approve this great sport.
bigbubbano23
6/12/08 1:00:32AM
come on wtf
MMAcca
6/12/08 1:35:29AM
MMAcca
6/13/08 12:31:51AM
MMAcca
6/16/08 2:02:46PM
MMAcca
6/16/08 2:21:39PM
UFC's Moves in New York

Much has been made about the UFC and it's lobbying efforts in trying to legalize MMA in the state of New York. New York Magazine gives us an idea of some of the costs they have incurred:

They started their New York offensive last year, hiring the political consultants at Global Strategy Group, a well-connected Democratic firm, and putting a high-powered Albany lobbying firm on $10,000-a-month retainer. They gave $25,000 to the state Democratic Party, another $15,000 to the Assembly Democrats, and have also cut large checks to Republicans.

The magazine then goes on to illuminate the major players who need to be convinced if the sport is to be legalized. The comments from the Governor can't be encouraging.

REST OF ARTICLE HERE