New at Training for MMA, need some advice if I'm on the right path....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » New at Training for MMA, need some advice if I'm on the right path....
KO
7/23/07 11:50:32PM
I have been in Taekwondo for 2 1/2 years and just switched to MMA only 2 weeks ago. I am now training at a school in Muay Thai Kickboxing, Combat Submission Wrestling, and Boxing. I am pretty out of shape at the moment, but I have lost 10 lbs recently and am slowly getting into better shape. I am 31 years old so I guess the clock is ticking. I want to compete as soon as its possible and when I'm ready. I got a lot to learn. Any advice out there would be appreciated. How long does it usually take for someone just starting out to be ready for the first amateur fight?
Twenty20Dollars
7/24/07 12:05:48AM
I know its just my opinion, but I would say atleast 6months to a year
KO
7/24/07 12:37:45AM
Yea I was guessing about a year and I'm sure everyone is different. I thought I would probably know if I'm readywhen the time comes. Thanks for the input.
fullerene
7/24/07 7:56:22AM
It's not a matter of calendar time it's a matter of how prepared you are. The usual progression for fighters should be:
1/ Training to learn techniques and get in shape
2. Sparring with members of your own gym
3. Fighting in smokers or local amateur events
4. Fighting professionally

Let your coach/trainer and sr. teammates know you would like to fight when they think you're ready and they should be the ones telling you when to move from 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. The basic rule should be you need to be comfortable at each stage (basically better than 90% of the people you are competing against) before you move to the next stage.

If you're at an "MMA school" (and there are a few like this) that tells you you can fight professionally in 6 months no matter what kind of shape you walk in the door at, then find another school to train at.
Rush
7/24/07 11:21:49AM
I'd say see how you do against guys in your own dojo. IMO, if you aren't in the top 10%, you probably need to get better before you compete.

It may be harsh, but I only expect the best from myself and I know that getting losses in the first fight or two of your amateur/professional career can be a real spirit crusher (I know it would be for me).

Best of luck
Lethal
7/24/07 6:14:59PM

Posted by Rush

I'd say see how you do against guys in your own dojo. IMO, if you aren't in the top 10%, you probably need to get better before you compete.

It may be harsh, but I only expect the best from myself and I know that getting losses in the first fight or two of your amateur/professional career can be a real spirit crusher (I know it would be for me).

Best of luck

I'd have to agree
Ultimate_fighter
7/27/07 6:51:48AM

Posted by Lethal

Posted by Rush

Best of luck

I'd have to agree

Same Here
jdfight25
7/31/07 10:05:11PM
hey man ive had 21 fights in about 3yrs. my first mma fight wasnt that bad but my first boxing match i was scared to death. my opinion is get yourself in shape that you can grapple for 5 min straight with someone in your gym, hard grappling. when you can stand that then climb into the cage as soon as possible. it is scary but once you get rid of the jitters its all good. the jtters only last until you or him throw the first punch and then the crowd is gone the only thing that matters is you and him. and you will be fine. good luck on your first fight feel free to email me
johny_rotten
7/31/07 11:40:42PM
The first thing is getting in the type of shape where you can do an hour to hour and a half class, and be able to still go. Stamina has to be there first. Then when you are confident in your stamina you need to spar, boxing and MMA. This is where it is differing for everyone. In some gyms just being able to handle sparring is reason enough to take a fight. Other gyms have horrible members and throw people in fights way to soon. So basicly if your team wins most of the time if you can make it through a sparring session then you are probably ready to fight. If your team has a horrible record you may want to visit another gym to see how you measure up.
KO
8/1/07 5:21:50PM
I believe I am at a good school. They always talk about not rushing into it too fast. I'm just taking my time with it. In the last few months, there has been 6 people in my gym that have fought and all 6 have won. Thanks for all the advice.