New suggestion

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » New suggestion
POLL: Should members be penalized for wagering on a fighter when they picked that fighter to lose
Yes 14% (4)
No 86% (24)
Other (I have a better idea) 0% (0)
wolfman
10/23/07 6:03:14PM
What if penalties are given to members who place a bet on a fighter and pick him to lose. For instance, if a person picks an underdog/fighter to lose and bets money on him and this fighter loses I think he should be docked an extra sum from his bankrollI(whatever sum is deemed reasonable/half of what he bet, etc.). I have seen a lot of people do this and I think it is a cheap way of winning. I'll admit I'm being a little hypocritical. I've done it twice, once for the Robinson/Florian fight and another time in the secondary league. I got burned both times. Anyways, I think it would make the betting game more competitive and interesting. It would make people think twice about making a bet on a certain underdog/fighter. Overall, I think the offending member should be penalized half of his earnings if the fighter wins and if the fighter loses he should only be penalized half of what he bet or whatever amount is deemed reasonable. For example, If a member picks fighter B to lose in the pick 'em game and wagers $1500 on fighter B, and fighter B wins he will be awarded whatever that amount is and then docked half of that amount he won. If he won $500, he will then be docked $250. Ok, there is my suggestion. I will appreciate any feedback, whether it is positive, negative, or whatever. Feel free to add any suggestions or whatever to improve upon this idea. Thanks for your time and don't be too harsh .
tuvok500
10/23/07 6:14:36PM
man, it is perfectly legal and normal !!

how can you think that it is not correct or that peoples should be penalized ???????

it is unbelivable, it is the same kind of wagering system that we see on real betting system, you can pick a guy for the win but betting on the others !!!!

it is at your risk man !!!

wolfman
10/23/07 6:26:33PM
I see what you are saying and I understand your point of view. Yet, can't you at least try and see what I am trying to get at? I am trying to make the betting game more competitive. I am not saying it is not normal, I just think it would make the game more competitive and fun. Remember, we aren't betting real money, we are betting fake money to earn real money. Therefore, people will bet crazy on an underdog hoping to cash in big. There is no real MAJOR risk, because they want be losing real money. The only risk is throwing yourself out of contention for top earner. Therefore, the new associated risk will be a penalty that will dock some of your bankroll. Overall, this is just a personal opinion. I feel it is a cheap way to win and you don't, but at least try and understand what I am trying to say.
babalu2720
10/23/07 6:29:19PM
You are trying to take a step in the right direction, but that wouldn't stop people from betting on underdogs especially when they get in a deep hole and have nothing to lose....
wolfman
10/23/07 6:34:21PM
This is true babalu2720. It did come up in the back of my mind, but I figured if they are deep in a hole they probably won't be able to bank that much and make it in the top three by the end of the season. Yet, obviously there are always exceptions...
tuvok500
10/23/07 7:25:41PM

Posted by wolfman

I see what you are saying and I understand your point of view. Yet, can't you at least try and see what I am trying to get at? I am trying to make the betting game more competitive. I am not saying it is not normal, I just think it would make the game more competitive and fun. Remember, we aren't betting real money, we are betting fake money to earn real money. Therefore, people will bet crazy on an underdog hoping to cash in big. There is no real MAJOR risk, because they want be losing real money. The only risk is throwing yourself out of contention for top earner. Therefore, the new associated risk will be a penalty that will dock some of your bankroll. Overall, this is just a personal opinion. I feel it is a cheap way to win and you don't, but at least try and understand what I am trying to say.

i understand what you say man, but i desagree.

if you look at the earning leader board, you will see that there is only 1 and a half page of peoples with good bankroll, but at the opposite, there are like 30 pages or mores , of peoples who are broken.

so , it is mathematically clear that there are alot more peoples who lost moneys than peoples who have alot of money.

if we understand that all new peoples start with 1000$, there should be no reason to have a huge difference like that if the fact to bet on underdog was so good and easy for the players.

also, well, i have reviewed all your bet for the main and secondary league, and i can tell you that you are one of those who got lucky with you big bet on underdog or close to an underdog.

you have even won the first place with you risky move on a guy !!!

i am happy for you man, but as you know, the risk of losing money on underdog is much more bigger than to win big.

that why , i say that even if we see some peoples being lucky , it doesn't mean that they should be call as " cheap way to win ".

nothing is perfect man.

the only thing that i want to see change in the wagering system, is that they should not take the bankroll average of a team to calculate the ranking, so this way, peoples will be free to try what they want, without risking to kill his team ranking.

wolfman
10/23/07 7:37:35PM
Good points tuvok500. I ultimately just made the suggestion so we could see who truly are the best bettors and to make it more competitive.

Posted by tuvok500

also, well, i have reviewed all your bet for the main and secondary league, and i can tell you that you are one of those who got lucky with you big bet on underdog or close to an underdog.

I know I have won my big money on underdogs, but I also pick them to win. I only bet on underdogs if I feel they have a good chance of winning and I picked them in the pick 'em game. Anyways, I appreciate your criticism and see why you disagree with me. I was just hoping to improve upon the wagering game. I just can't bet on people who I pick to lose, because when I do it just feels cheap. To each his own I guess. Also, I didn't get lucky, I know when my underdogs will win j/k
tuvok500
10/23/07 7:43:58PM

Posted by wolfman

Good points tuvok500. I ultimately just made the suggestion so we could see who truly are the best bettors and to make it more competitive.

Posted by tuvok500

I know I have won my big money on underdogs, but I also pick them to win. I only bet on underdogs if I feel they have a good chance of winning and I picked them in the pick 'em game. Anyways, I appreciate your criticism and see why you disagree with me. I was just hoping to improve upon the wagering game. I just can't bet on people who I pick to lose, because when I do it just feels cheap. To each his own I guess. Also, I didn't get lucky, I know when my underdogs will win j/k

LOL !!

so since you are not lucky , you are more like a visionary ( not sure about my word ), so anyways , my point is that i will not tell you good luck, but good reading in your cristal globe !!!

wolfman
10/23/07 8:49:02PM

Posted by tuvok500

LOL !!

so since you are not lucky , you are more like a visionary ( not sure about my word ), so anyways , my point is that i will not tell you good luck, but good reading in your cristal globe !!!

LOL Yea, I am able to see who wins before the fight happens. I am that good.
wolfman
10/24/07 12:10:01AM
Obviously, from the results of the poll people hated this idea. Oh well, I thought it would make things more interesting. This idea was shot down horribly
ohiostate1016
10/24/07 11:08:04AM
I think this is OK, but not great...not your top idea, but still OK...you sure do have a lot of suggestions...
NatedawgThaM
10/24/07 4:57:37PM
Nah because that would be dumb...

You want to get points but you want to make money too!!!

Like for the Liddell/Jardine fight I picked Liddell just to be safe but put some money on Jardine!!!

For points you HAVE to almost be safe. But with wagers it's fun because you can put money on the underdogs too because you can win a lot of money but also you can gain/lose ALOT of money by just 1 fight. Thats the fun!!!
wolfman
10/24/07 8:23:06PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Nah because that would be dumb...

You want to get points but you want to make money too!!!

Like for the Liddell/Jardine fight I picked Liddell just to be safe but put some money on Jardine!!!

For points you HAVE to almost be safe. But with wagers it's fun because you can put money on the underdogs too because you can win a lot of money but also you can gain/lose ALOT of money by just 1 fight. Thats the fun!!!

Fair enough, at least your honest. Yet, the only real difference is you will only get docked money if you don't also pick that guy to win in the pick 'em game. My idea would just make it more challenging. You can still bank good, you just have to make sure that if you wager on a guy you better pick him to win as well.
NatedawgThaM
10/24/07 11:48:27PM
Like for the Houston Alexander fight at 78...

Since Houston is better known and nobodies sure if hes the real deal and either fighter could win since either fighter can I'll put my pick on the favorite like Houston 1 rd KO, but since Thiago is a HUGE underdog and this fight is a guranteed KO and either fighter can win since we don't know who alexander really is yet, Im putting 1000 on Thiago....

Either I will get a great prediction BUT if I get it wrong I get atleast 1000 dollars ot make up for it!!! It's just fi I lose that money im atleast getting points for my camp!!
wolfman
10/25/07 12:13:57AM
To each his own brother. I know that is your strategy, but you could also get the prediction right and the wager right. There is a lot of what ifs, but I just like to trust my picks and put my money where my mouth is so to speak. I don't like to pick one guy and bet on another guy because it feels cheap to me. Yet, this is your strategy and I respect that. All for the team right? Good luck with your picks and wagers on 78 bro.
Ordep
10/25/07 4:48:36PM
you do whatever you want to do with your money..... that's it...it's all about strategy
Iwannasurf
10/29/07 6:51:08AM
Sounds like someone's upset because they didn't do so hot on the earnings side of things. I like the current way of picks and wagers.
wolfman
10/30/07 6:28:01PM

Posted by Iwannasurf

Sounds like someone's upset because they didn't do so hot on the earnings side of things. I like the current way of picks and wagers.

Yea, I'm upset because I didn't do well in the primary league with my wagers Dude, I just offered this idea to try and make the game more competitive, that is all...