new site layout

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » new site layout
Next Page »
Aether
10/23/11 2:36:55PM
I like most of the changes, but I have to say that the navigation bar at the top is just completely horrendous. I'm not sure who thought blue lettering on a light grey background was a good idea, but it's actually pretty much impossible to read any of the options in the grey area, and the options in the white area are all clumped together so that it looks like one big run-on sentence with no space at all between the different options.

I actually have to highlight the whole top bar in order to be able to see and click the forum button.

I like the changes to the front page with the little pictures, that's nice, but that grey bar at the top is absolutely horrid and needs to be fixed IMO.
Chael_Sonnen
10/23/11 2:42:03PM
Not a fan of gray in general, how about something a tad more vivid to the eye?
kopower
10/23/11 2:56:09PM
I would have to agree. I'm assuming there is still going to be some fine tuning in the coming days/weeks.
Poor_Franklin
10/23/11 3:05:03PM

Posted by Aether

I like most of the changes, but I have to say that the navigation bar at the top is just completely horrendous. I'm not sure who thought blue lettering on a light grey background was a good idea, but it's actually pretty much impossible to read any of the options in the grey area, and the options in the white area are all clumped together so that it looks like one big run-on sentence with no space at all between the different options.

i dont believe i ever saw blue lettering in the gray.....is mine different than yours?

im seeing white & yellow lettering in the grey & grey lettering in the white....

grappler0000
10/23/11 3:10:01PM
I don't see what you're describing. Perhaps refreshing the page will help.
emfleek
10/23/11 3:25:16PM

Posted by grappler0000

This. I thought the same thing until I hit Ctrl + F5. The bar at the top is gray with yellow lettering. Quite easy to read.
Aether
10/23/11 3:31:46PM
looks like they're making changes still because now it's totally different and about 5 billion times better than it was. For me now there are little boxes shaded black with white lettering, and it actually looks excellent.

This change must've happened today.

That's far, far, far better than what it was before, everything has its own space, is easy to read, and is not crowded together. Whoever is making the updates is doing a good job.

The only thing I don't really like now is the new logo. It's not awful, but I don't like the cartoonish looking fighter. The "MMA playground.com" part looks more modern and slick, but the fighter to me looks like a cartoon.

Really nice changes all around.
Aether
10/23/11 3:33:28PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by grappler0000

This. I thought the same thing until I hit Ctrl + F5. The bar at the top is gray with yellow lettering. Quite easy to read.

they must have made that change within minutes of me making this thread. For the last few days the tabs at the top were not there, the lettering was blue, and the grey bar underneath the top banner was also not there, it was just plain white.

Good changes, I like the new look. I also am loving the black theme instead of blue for the forums and user names, far more pleasant to the eye IMO. The site looks a lot more professionally done than it used to.
Aether
10/23/11 3:39:15PM
yeah changes are being made right this moment, I am seeing things change every couple of minutes. 1 minute ago the "top score" and "top wagers" sections still had blue headings, and now they're black.
grappler0000
10/23/11 3:39:19PM

Posted by Aether

The only thing I don't really like now is the new logo. It's not awful, but I don't like the cartoonish looking fighter. The "MMA playground.com" part looks more modern and slick, but the fighter to me looks like a cartoon.

I tend to agree. I love everything except for the logo. I also don't think it's horrible, but believe it could be better. Maybe just the lettering minus the fighter...or maybe even give the lettering a beveled and shiny look. Just my .02 of coarse. Hopefully I'm not offending anyone, if they are the one who designed it. Everything else looks great though.

edit: IMO, if there is to be some sort of graphic in the logo, it's best to go with something other than a person...a fist, glove, etc. A generic person just doesn't do anything for me.
Ordep
10/23/11 3:42:06PM
I would like to see the view from the Premium members perspective. I like the new layout but to us cheap bastards it makes the ad ¨shine¨ more than before.

Any PM can post a pic here please?
emfleek
10/23/11 3:46:37PM

Posted by Ordep

I would like to see the view from the Premium members perspective. I like the new layout but to us cheap bastards it makes the ad ¨shine¨ more than before.

Any PM can post a pic here please?

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
PABLOMAFIOSO
10/23/11 3:55:51PM
New layout is whack!
It was way better before.
emfleek
10/23/11 3:59:18PM

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

New layout is whack!

Here's an idea...give the guy a chance to finish everything before you post rude comments.

tact
[takt] Show IPA
noun
a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; skill in dealing with difficult or delicate situations.
a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste; discrimination.
Aether
10/23/11 4:01:23PM
I think it's awesome. The site used to look pretty amateur to me, now it looks like it was done by a professional web designer.
jae_1833
10/23/11 4:44:55PM
I personally like it, the old blues layout was very Microsoft to me, this is a little edgier. I hear you all abot the fighters in the logo, but really was the kick we had before that much better. If all we have to complain about is a logo cartoon then I think we are in pretty good hands.
Poor_Franklin
10/23/11 4:47:12PM

Posted by jae_1833

I personally like it, the old blues layout was very Microsoft to me, this is a little edgier. I hear you all abot the fighters in the logo, but really was the kick we had before that much better. If all we have to complain about is a logo cartoon then I think we are in pretty good hands.

my opinion exactly.

as long as the site functions well, i could care less what it looks like
Ordep
10/23/11 4:52:59PM
thanks for the pic, looks pretty good, props on the way after the love is spread
Poor_Franklin
10/23/11 4:57:12PM
i went premium pretty early after joining the site. i forgot about all the ads
grappler0000
10/23/11 4:59:12PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

i went premium pretty early after joining the site. i forgot about all the ads

What are these ads that everyone keeps talking about?
papercut
10/23/11 5:38:51PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by grappler0000

if Ctrl + F5 doesn't work and you have CCleaner installed on your computer, close out your open windows run CC and it should show up properly. I say this because the Ctrl + F5 didn't work for updating but running CC did.
Chael_Sonnen
10/23/11 5:41:17PM
Can we have the fight camps in blue or a different color so it stands out more?

Everything else looks great!
grappler0000
10/23/11 5:44:09PM

Posted by papercut

Posted by emfleek

Posted by grappler0000

if Ctrl + F5 doesn't work and you have CCleaner installed on your computer, close out your open windows run CC and it should show up properly. I say this because the Ctrl + F5 didn't work for updating but running CC did.

Ctrl + F5 can yield slightly different results in different browsers.
emfleek
10/23/11 7:09:04PM
Anyone want to put together a background image for the Twitter site?

ghandikush
10/23/11 10:12:21PM
I liked the old logo, there wa nothing unpleasant before. The hand down kick is pretty badass, I would like something like that to live on. I want mmaplayground not bloody elbow.
warglory
10/23/11 11:28:33PM

Posted by ghandikush

I liked the old logo, there wa nothing unpleasant before. The hand down kick is pretty badass, I would like something like that to live on. I want mmaplayground not bloody elbow.

I agree, it actually looks pretty amateur to me. The lettering is extremely basic and minimalist, and as already stated, the fighter looks like clip art, and the blood is just tacky. I am being admittedly finicky though, the logo isn't a huge deal, but it can have an impact for new folks coming over.
Poor_Franklin
10/24/11 12:38:38AM

Posted by warglory

it can have an impact for new folks coming over.

we should all show the new setup to people we know who have never visited the site & get their opinions...

we're the ones that are already on here & probably will be no matter how it looks, but the new members are the ones the site needs to keep getting. i'll ask a few buddies tomorrow what they think about it
prophecy033
10/24/11 2:17:01AM
I like the new layout. A few changes here and there will round it into form. I do feel that an actual fighter instead of the one that's currently on the logo would look better but I'm not sure if that's allowed. A few of the other things would be to change the color of camp names on the forum profile and the color of the links to other threads
Poor_Franklin
10/24/11 3:45:43AM
Have these (fighter stats) always been available or are they a new addition. I've never seen them before, but it's fun to go back & see the history of the sites picks.

anyone know if there is a way to see how the site does as a whole picking fights?

edit:
just noticed the links dont stand out very well from the rest of the lettering
PABLOMAFIOSO
10/24/11 2:11:46PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

New layout is whack!

Here's an idea...give the guy a chance to finish everything before you post rude comments.

tact
[takt] Show IPA
noun
a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; skill in dealing with difficult or delicate situations.
a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste; discrimination.

Pages: [1] 2