New Release Tuesday

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » New Release Tuesday
Chael_Sonnen
6/5/12 4:04:50PM
Guess what came out today interwebbers?

The greatest show ever created....that's what!

Uncle ChaCha is gonna steal a great quote from the Immortal Walter Hartwell White.

I Won

(ya got that Andee?)
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Budgellism
6/5/12 4:26:03PM
The 4th season was crazy good
george112
6/5/12 4:26:45PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Uncle ChaCha is gonna steal a great quote from the Immortal Walter Hartwell White.

I Won

(ya got that Andee?)

BeeR
6/5/12 4:54:30PM
havent seen a single minute of any episode, but I hear its an amazing show.
grappler0000
6/5/12 5:43:05PM

Posted by BeeR

You'll be hooked 5 minutes into the 1st episode.
infestructure
6/5/12 5:57:26PM
I was hooked for the first season, then they kinda lost me. Seems like Walt is just a regular old meth cook now, and Jesse never changes, once a cracky, always a cracky. Plus that wife character gets on my nerves.

Chael_Sonnen
6/5/12 6:08:45PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by BeeR

You'll be hooked 5 minutes into the 1st episode.

Box Cutter = Genius
Bubbles
6/5/12 6:32:43PM
it took me a few episodes to get into the series, but holy shit it is easily one of the best series ever. The bathtub scene sold it for me
Budgellism
6/5/12 6:33:10PM

Posted by infestructure

I was hooked for the first season, then they kinda lost me. Seems like Walt is just a regular old meth cook now, and Jesse never changes, once a cracky, always a cracky. Plus that wife character gets on my nerves.

How much have you watched? That statement makes me think you haven't even gotten out of the 2nd season yet.
Chael_Sonnen
6/5/12 6:51:41PM
Season 5 Poster......
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
grappler0000
6/5/12 6:57:01PM
One of my favorite moments from Season 4 is the end of the Crawl Space episode. I can still hear that laugh.
bojangalz
6/5/12 8:18:23PM
If not my favorite show of all time, it's way, way up there. I didn't get in until the first three seasons were available on netflix. But I was hooked instantly and the momentum the show carries forward is intense. Each season has gotten better than the previous by tenfold.

My only gripe with the show is the fact that no one ever dies. None of the characters that carry the story get axed. There are some moments through out the series that this actually ruined for me (brother in the shootout at DEA parking lot for instance). You just know that because of the way the story is driven, all the main characters kind of need to be there for it all to work right.

In a show like Rescue Me (or walking dead) for instance, they weren't the least bit afraid to kill off just about anyone. That kind of left you with the feeling that you never knew who gone next. In Breaking Bad the only characters who die are either anonymous peripheral characters or the "bad guy" of the season.
spang714
6/5/12 8:22:07PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

I Won

(ya got that Andee?)

I ordered it today!

....im gonna steal a quote from linebacker Bartimus Reginald Scott

"CANT WAIT"
Chael_Sonnen
6/5/12 8:34:53PM

Posted by bojangalz

If not my favorite show of all time, it's way, way up there. I didn't get in until the first three seasons were available on netflix. But I was hooked instantly and the momentum the show carries forward is intense. Each season has gotten better than the previous by tenfold.

My only gripe with the show is the fact that no one ever dies. None of the characters that carry the story get axed. There are some moments through out the series that this actually ruined for me (brother in the shootout at DEA parking lot for instance). You just know that because of the way the story is driven, all the main characters kind of need to be there for it all to work right.

In a show like Rescue Me (or walking dead) for instance, they weren't the least bit afraid to kill off just about anyone. That kind of left you with the feeling that you never knew who gone next. In Breaking Bad the only characters who die are either anonymous peripheral characters or the "bad guy" of the season.

No one dies? Dude, the body count is pretty high.....Gus was a important character and he got toasted.....Jane......Tuco.....Tio......The Cousins......Tortuga....etc, etc.

Granted, some of the characters don't have a ton of screen time, but they are still powerful, important characters to the storyline.

SPOILER......Walt dies at the end of the season (pt. 2)
bojangalz
6/6/12 12:30:57AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by bojangalz

No one dies? Dude, the body count is pretty high.....Gus was a important character and he got toasted.....Jane......Tuco.....Tio......The Cousins......Tortuga....etc, etc.

Granted, some of the characters don't have a ton of screen time, but they are still powerful, important characters to the storyline.

SPOILER......Walt dies at the end of the season (pt. 2)

yeah, I get what you're saying. But no one in Walt's immediate circle has ever died. Don't get me wrong, there is some serious suspense in this show (The old man in the wheel chair at Tuco's hiding spot for instance). The suspense is so thick at times that it's almost hard to watch. But it's gotten to the point that any time Walt or a family member is in serious peril you just kind of sit back and say to yourself "we'll we know he's (she's) going to get out of fine because the story needs those characters too much. Not sure if that makes sense or not, hopefully you can pick up what I'm putting down.

It's not a real stretch of creative writing to bring in a new bad guy or hangers-on every season or two. But they've never taken the leap of eliminating a key player and evolved Walt's character to handle that loss.

Either way the show is great, simply great. So great in fact that I had the cable guy visit today to get me hooked back up to the world for the first time in three years. I'd be lying if I said that the beginning of the final season didn't have a major impact on my decision to pay for TV again after so many years without it. And THAT is a testament to how fantastic the show truly is.

EDIT- As for Walt dying, I expect that's how it will go. But it'll be something that happens as the final credits roll; which again will feel a bit predictable and lazy to me. I'd actually rather they kill him off early and watch the remaining few who actually know about his side job to pick up the pieces and struggle to form their own exit strategies in his absence. It would be an unexpected twist.
Bubbles
6/6/12 1:37:54PM
bojangalz, I see what you are saying but I will throw in a counter argument. I dont know if you follow Dexter, which is equal (but imo half a step better) than Breaking Bad, but they did what you suggested they do

****SPOILER****

at the end of season 4 (the best season of the 6), Dexter's wife is murdered. She was an integral part of Dexter's personal life and allow the audience to sympathize with a serial murderer. The following season imo was the worst of the 5 seasons (though still enjoyable) and the 6th (the one that just concluded) was slightly better...both of those 2 were below the previous 4. Killing off an important character that has been there since episode 1 isn't necessarily the best course of action.

I was a massive LOST fanatic, but killing off either Jack, John, or Sawyer...or even Ben after he became a lead role....would have doomed the series. John did eventually get killed off and that was right around the time when the show became more farfetched than it already was.
bojangalz
6/6/12 4:07:17PM
Yeah, I've never seen Lost and only a few brief moments of Dexter, so I can't speak to those shows. But I understand what you're saying. And hell, it's not like I'd have the first clue what it takes to write TV series in the first place. Regardless of how this whole thing plays out the show will easily be at or near the top of my list when it comes to must-see television.
FlashyG
6/6/12 4:36:01PM
Breaking Bad is fantastic but I have to agree with Bo that they are a little too safe when it comes to characters.

The Character of Jesse was supposed to die in the first season, the only reason he's still around is the executives on the show feared the backlash they'd receive for killing him off.

To me the reason season 4 of Dexter was so great was BECAUSE they broke from their mold and killed off a major character. It was the only moment of that series besides the last minute of last season where I was genuinely surprised by the storyline. The reason the next 2 seasons felt flat is because they returned to their previous format and lacked the emotional punch you got when Rita was murdered.

I love Breaking Bad and have watched it from the beginning but it too often straddles between realism and the ridiculous. Its my favorite show still airing but I measure all shows against The Wire and it falls far short of that masterpiece.
Bubbles
6/7/12 9:07:55PM

Posted by FlashyG
To me the reason season 4 of Dexter was so great was BECAUSE they broke from their mold and killed off a major character. It was the only moment of that series besides the last minute of last season where I was genuinely surprised by the storyline. The reason the next 2 seasons felt flat is because they returned to their previous format and lacked the emotional punch you got when Rita was murdered.

I agree and disagree. The entire season prior to Rita's death was far better than any of the other seasons. John Lithgow's character is one of the greatest "villians" in any TV series to date. The way the writers intertwined the lives of Dexter, Deb, Rita, the kids, Quinn, Lundy and Christine to that of Arthur Mitchell was pure genius. That to me, along with the other plot lines, is why this season was so great. They didn't need to kill her off to make it great, but in doing so they went above and beyond to make it epic.

that emotional punch is exactly the reason why Jesse and Walt's family have yet to die. I cannot imagine how the relationship between Walt and Gus would go had Jesse died...but I can tell you it wont be as good. Killing off Skylar would make it appear they were copying Dexter. I guess killing off Hank wouldn't be so bad but his role as DEA helped keep that meth lab hidden by telling Walt everything.

then again they could just kill someone and bring him back the next episode like Kenny McCormick
FlashyG
6/8/12 12:19:26AM
Personally I think without the shocking last scene, the 4th season would rank 2nd behind the original season. While most storylines tied together nicely by the end, there was still Dexter's repeated car crashes and bout of amnesia, his killing of the female cop had no connection to the rest of the plot either.

The things I found kind of silly in Breaking Bad, was Walt blowing up Tuco's office without seriously injuring himself, the plane crash and the circumstances that led to it, the shootout in the mall parking lot and any scene involving Skyler's former boss.

I don't know if you've seen the Wire, but what made it so much better than any show I've seen is that the whole series was outlined from the very beginning rather than 1 season at a time, or 1 episode at a time like almost all series today.

It created a story where nothing is unimportant, and forced you to pay attention to minor details like no show I've seen before or after.

A good example of what I'm talking about is how they managed to tell an extremely minor characters life story from being a rich suburban daughter trying (heroin or possibly coke) for the first time, her spiral into prostitution to pay for her habit, a pregnancy she never planned for, and ultimately a child she can't raise. With her last appearance being her getting clean with the help of NA. The impressive thing was that it was done in just 3 scenes over 3 seasons with none of them being longer than 2 minutes.

It was also very realistic and in my opinion the most realistic portrayal of law enforcement and politics in TV or movies. I'm sure if any of the playgrounds Cops have seen it they'd concur,but the only one I know who's seen it is Bojangalz

Damn all this Wire talk has me wanting to crack open the box set again.
Bubbles
6/8/12 7:34:27AM
yeah but every show has its silly moments. I have never seen the Wire, but LOST is definitely a show where minor details will become pretty influential down the road.