New NFL Rules

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » New NFL Rules
Jackelope
3/24/09 11:27:06PM
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/607638

–The initial force of a blindside block can't be delivered by a helmet, forearm or shoulder to an opponent's head or neck. An illegal blindside block will bring a 15-yard penalty.

–Initial contact to the head of a defenseless receiver also will draw a 15-yard penalty.

–On kickoffs, no blocking wedge of more than two players will be allowed.

–Also on kickoffs, the kicking team can't have more than five players bunched together pursuing an onside kick.

I have no problem with avoiding hits to the head, but outlawing the wedge? That's a bit much IMO. What do you guys think?
urbman
3/25/09 4:23:52AM
That is kind of rediculous banning the wedge,and messing with the formations to recover on-side kicks also.
king_katool
3/25/09 5:37:14AM
HOW CAN THEY DO THIS?!?!?!?! you cant kill the wedge, that means no more wedges busters, and that was so much fun
emfleek
3/25/09 9:16:01AM
The constant rule changes in the NFL are starting to really annoy the piss out of me.

And if the "Brady Rule" goes in to effect...well, I don't want to go there.
Twenty20Dollars
3/25/09 10:19:12AM
I guess Im alright with these rule changes.
EvenFlow
3/25/09 11:30:16AM

Posted by Jackelope
–Initial contact to the head of a defenseless receiver also will draw a 15-yard penalty.

Geez why dont they just give everyone fat suits, velcro gloves and a pacifier.
Wolfenstein
3/25/09 12:43:02PM
I understand the rule changes, except for eliminating the wedge (which is ridiculous). That said--seems to me like the pussification of America is extending into football as well. Next up...nerf footballs.
telnights
3/25/09 1:20:17PM
I love to watch football but its really starting to become flag football. There are so many rules now about how you can and cant tackle or block. Its not even the same sport it was 6 years ago. I know they are trying to protect the players but at what point do you start taking away from the sport. You can barely even touch the quarterback now days and are very limited to how you can block or make a tackle without getting a 15 yard penalty.
FlashyG
3/25/09 1:34:22PM
It seems football is not learning from the NHL's mistakes.

IMO the contant rule changes is the biggest reason why Hockey is struggling to remain relevant in the major sports scene. Even the hardcore fans are have trouble keeping up with them and as soon as they start getting used to the changes, they switch them back again.

Banning the Wedge is as silly as not allowing goalies to handle the puck anymore.

Jackelope
3/25/09 3:23:13PM
My other complaint with all of this, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, is the discretion of the refs calling these penalties. We're not talking about some B.S. little 5 yd penalty here, we're talking about 15 yards. That can significantly set back your defense and ultimately cause a ton of touchdowns.

With as poor as officiating has been in nearly every sport for the past 10 years, how bad are people going to be critiquing refs calls with these new rules?
mkiv9secsupra
3/25/09 10:26:43PM

Posted by Wolfenstein
That said--seems to me like the pussification of America is extending into football as well. Next up...nerf footballs.

Next up, why dont we just eliminate tackling so players dont get bruises or maybe break a bone? They can just play flag football,

I can understand the blindside rule but changing useless rules constantly is simply rediculous
hippysmacker
3/25/09 11:08:26PM
IM ok , with everything but he wedge,. The rest just seem s like a clarification, re-statement of rules already enforced the majority of the time anyway.
cloud301336
3/27/09 1:09:57AM
Glad mma is my main sport, but the whole wedge thing is gay as hell.... but O-well GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!
pv3Hpv3p
3/27/09 11:05:03AM
Roger Goodell (sp?) is slowly and painfully castrating the NFL...

I know none of these rule changes are that big of a deal, but the thing is; they've installed little rule changes like this every year since Goodell has been comish and sum of all the parts = turning American football soft like mama's mashed potatoes... which in turn breaks my heart
bls1919
3/27/09 9:36:31PM
Onside kicks are hard enough to get.....now we need rules to effect them!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Believe-in-judo81
4/1/09 5:59:44AM
I'll have a hard time watching it this year, as the news rule are going to severely limit defensive play, especially on kickoff returns and in pass rushing and coverage situations. The the defensive side of the game is the whole reason I tune in. I'll still root for my (and your) Pittsburgh Steelers, but I have a feeling it's going to suck royally to sit through games.
higdon10
4/1/09 4:42:48PM
Jacked Up won't be as fun this season