New MMA Playground Content/Forum Suggestion/ ***New Video Suggestion***

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » New MMA Playground Content/Forum Suggestion/ ***New Video Suggestion***
pmoney
11/11/11 5:53:55PM
On the playground, there are many ways to view the articles and threads that are posted. The home page has news and the playground blog, the forum index can take a user to browse the new and old threads for each individual forum, and today's topics has all the newest stuff from all the forums on one page. My suggestion is a recent activity page or sidebar.

This is pretty much self explanatory. I am on my mobile phone 90% of the time, and although my data is unlimited, my patience is not. So generally I go to the Today's Topics and see what's new for all the forums. But this may lead me to forget to make a pick in a sidegame, or respond in a timely manner when engaging in a discussion on a thread.

It would also be cool, perhaps as a sidebar on the site. It could display thumbnails and titles for recently added videos, as well as display some of the threads with the most recent activity.

Another idea: If I open the home page of the playground, there is no way to get to my profile from there. I have to go to my account and then my profile, or find a thread I posted on, and then click on my name to go to it. Either way it's multiple steps, and I know I would appreciate it if there weren't! Perhaps when you logged in, it could take you to your profile and then you could click a link to edit your account information instead of the other way around.

Just some suggestions, in case they haven't been brought up. I think, if implemented, they would compliment the additions and updates that have already been made.
prophecy033
11/11/11 5:58:38PM
Prophecy supports these suggestions
Poor_Franklin
11/11/11 6:43:21PM
nice ones pmoney
Rabi
11/11/11 6:49:01PM

Posted by pmoney

So generally I go to the Today's Topics and see what's new for all the forums. But this may lead me to forget to make a pick in a sidegame, or respond in a timely manner when engaging in a discussion on a thread.

With regards to this comment, what I do which you might find helpful is any topic I post on, I subscribe to it, this gives me 2 benefits:

1. If someone replies to the thread I get an email sent to my phone, that way I can reply or make my picks in the many games I take part, I love waking up in the morning and I have about 10 emails on my phone and I can check the threads before I get out of bed.

2. There is a link near the top called subscribe topics, when you click that it takes you to your own forum with all the topics you have subscribed to and lists them in the order of when someone last posted on the thread.

With out these feature I would easily lose track of what Ive posted.

Poor_Franklin
11/11/11 7:37:39PM
i subscribe as well, but it clutters my email
kopower
11/11/11 7:46:23PM
I wouldn't mind a recent activity thread. I mainly browse Today's Topics and look for activity, but when nothing catches my eye, I'll lurk around some of the older topics in the Locker Room, and Padded Room to see if anybody has made a post.
grappler0000
11/11/11 8:04:55PM
I support this idea. I'm guilty of only surfing Today' Topics. Every now and then, I'll take a look in the forums to see what's being discussed. Normally though, if I'm not subscribed to the topic and it's not on Today's Topics, the thread is dead to me.
Budgellism
11/12/11 8:32:45AM

Posted by grappler0000

I support this idea. I'm guilty of only surfing Today' Topics. Every now and then, I'll take a look in the forums to see what's being discussed. Normally though, if I'm not subscribed to the topic and it's not on Today's Topics, the thread is dead to me.

I use the same method.
Poor_Franklin
11/14/11 4:55:50PM
thanks to the site for adding the "Latest Performance" details on the left....especially after an event i did so well in points. im certain i wont be so happy about it next time lol
pmoney
11/14/11 6:29:12PM
I just saw the "Latest Performance" section as well. Definitely a cool feature, and it's motivating me to do even better this weekend! Not that I needed it after last weekend, hahaha
Rabi
11/15/11 1:22:09AM
You got married last weekend, surely you cant top that this weekend
pmoney
11/15/11 3:38:34AM

Posted by Rabi

You got married last weekend, surely you cant top that this weekend

You're absolutely right about that Rabi! While it was the perfect week, in the most important of ways, I wouldn't have minded a perfect event on the playground to go with it

Now I just gotta win those accolades, make that money, and make the misses happy
pmoney
11/16/11 4:54:09PM
I had an epiphany last night, and came up with yet another suggestion for the site.

I have posted a grip of videos, and I have sorted them into a good number of collections. However, there is no streamlined way for the users to browse each other's collections.

For example, if I go to the videos section, I see all recent videos. Let's say I want to look at grappler0000's videos. If I see a video that says "posted by ____", then I can click on it, and it will take me to a page of all the videos he uploaded, assorted by date. If I see a video belongs to a collection, I can click the name of the collection, and it will take me to a page with just those videos. Again though, the only way I can view anyone else's collections would be to scroll through every video they posted to find said collections.

Perhaps I am lazy and stupid, and this already exists. Perhaps this has already been suggested. Either way, I just wanted to put it out there. I have posted 600 videos or more. Every video is neatly organized; all are in collections, 99% of them have thumbnails. People don't have access to that sweet organization right now though.

I think it would be cool for either a user's profile, or the videos section itself, to have a drop down menu for easy access to collections. Profile wise, think the same set up as looking at another user's picks... There could still be the same section that shows recently added videos, but then drop down menus to go to the collection you want.

Thanks for listening to my haphazard rambling suggestions hopefully I made some kind of sense!
emfleek
11/17/11 9:12:48AM
Thanks for the suggestions. They've been noted!

Rabi
11/21/11 2:39:21PM
Ive got a sugestion as well, Its probably not possible but it would be cool to have an instant chat feature, Ive made a few good friends on this site and often chat with them on FB, it would be nice to be able to do that on here, especially to camp members.
emfleek
11/21/11 3:31:48PM

Posted by Rabi

Ive got a sugestion as well, Its probably not possible but it would be cool to have an instant chat feature, Ive made a few good friends on this site and often chat with them on FB, it would be nice to be able to do that on here, especially to camp members.

I would be in support of this feature *if* it was a fight night only type of a feature. I think the forums would take a huge hit in activity if we were to implement a chat feature at this point with such a limited membership-base.

MMAValor actually has a fight night chat room. I'm not sure if many people use it but it's basically the equivalent of the Spoilers Forum thread we usually have for UFC events, on an instant level. I had quite a bit of fun participating in the Facebook chat this past Saturday. Offering that option here would be great.
Rabi
11/21/11 4:17:36PM
I was thinking more of the 1-2-1 instant chat rather then a group instant chat.
emfleek
11/21/11 4:21:41PM

Posted by Rabi

I was thinking more of the 1-2-1 instant chat rather then a group instant chat.

Fair enough. I would actually use that, too.
Adrenaline
11/22/11 2:26:42AM
Great suggestions!

Oh and I will just drop this one while I am here because its not a big enough issue to make a separate thread for:

Anyway I don't know if anyone else does this or if it has been mentioned but on most web pages the logo (usually somewhere near the top like we have it) is a hyperlink back to the homepage. I can't remember if the old logo was but as hard as I try and as close as the "home" tab is to it, I still click the logo all the freaking time to get back to the main page. Its just one of those small things that you get used to that I noticed was not the same on MMAPG. Again, its a rather small detail and not really all that important but I thought I would mention it.

Keep up the good work guys
jjeans
11/22/11 4:54:50AM
Glad you enjoyed it Fleek, It's a shame you weren't on it when I promoted it in the first place! LINK

But the 1-2-1 Chat would be cool! As well as the iPhone update
emfleek
11/22/11 8:52:05AM

Posted by jjeans

Glad you enjoyed it Fleek, It's a shame you weren't on it when I promoted it in the first place! LINK

It's a shame you don't remember because I *have* participated before...prior to 139.
DoTheMMAth
11/23/11 12:01:58PM
Lots of real good suggestions. We'll get to 'em eventually! Hopefully sooner rather than later Thanks also to the folks that PM'd me additional feedback.

Stuff like that definitely improves the experience for everyone, thanks a TON.
DoTheMMAth
11/25/11 3:17:55PM

Posted by pmoney

On the playground, there are many ways to view the articles and threads that are posted. The home page has news and the playground blog, the forum index can take a user to browse the new and old threads for each individual forum, and today's topics has all the newest stuff from all the forums on one page. My suggestion is a recent activity page or sidebar.

This is pretty much self explanatory. I am on my mobile phone 90% of the time, and although my data is unlimited, my patience is not. So generally I go to the Today's Topics and see what's new for all the forums. But this may lead me to forget to make a pick in a sidegame, or respond in a timely manner when engaging in a discussion on a thread.

It would also be cool, perhaps as a sidebar on the site. It could display thumbnails and titles for recently added videos, as well as display some of the threads with the most recent activity.

Another idea: If I open the home page of the playground, there is no way to get to my profile from there. I have to go to my account and then my profile, or find a thread I posted on, and then click on my name to go to it. Either way it's multiple steps, and I know I would appreciate it if there weren't! Perhaps when you logged in, it could take you to your profile and then you could click a link to edit your account information instead of the other way around.

Just some suggestions, in case they haven't been brought up. I think, if implemented, they would compliment the additions and updates that have already been made.

In the "Forums" sub-navigation up top there are now 2 links, one taking you to a new "My Posts" page and another link next to it to take you directly to your profile.

One little improvement at a time...
pmoney
11/25/11 5:23:23PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

In the "Forums" sub-navigation up top there are now 2 links, one taking you to a new "My Posts" page and another link next to it to take you directly to your profile.

One little improvement at a time...

Awesome stuff, you are the MMAn! (Sorry, had to) I think the new features are sure to be a big hit

I sure appreciate all you guys do here at this site. MMAPlayground has been the best around for years, and it's amazing to see it getting better and growing with the sport. I have a feeling this site's best years are ahead of it, not behind it.

And I really don't want to sound like an ingrate here, but I would love to see the my profile link accessible directly from the home page, perhaps in the popular pages frame/tab

These are great additions though, thanks again! The my posts page is especially sick
Pookie
11/25/11 5:31:21PM
Suggestion - Needs more cowbell.
DoTheMMAth
11/25/11 6:31:49PM

Posted by pmoney

Awesome stuff, you are the MMAn! (Sorry, had to) I think the new features are sure to be a big hit

Damn, that one honestly made my sphincter pucker up. Sadly though when I start coding this beast from scratch in winter of 06 I was a younger kid thinking my username was clever. Now if I changed it no one would even have a clue who I am lol.
pmoney
11/26/11 2:59:46PM
Ah your name is plenty clever brah! Very appropriate for the proprietor of the premier fantasy MMA site in all the land