NEW Mike Swick interview, 5/12

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » NEW Mike Swick interview, 5/12
jnotrizzle
5/13/07 8:25:15PM
Hey guys, I did an interview with Mike Swick last week.

I asked him about dropping to 170, the Okami fight and what his plans are in the UFC.

Check it out at www.myspace.com/mma52

I'm working on a few more interviews, hopefully a picture spread with a Sean Sherk one, his academy is only a half hour away from my house.

Enjoy!
the-james
5/13/07 10:01:46PM
Nice interwiew,
Swick doesnt seem very talkative he didnt say much
FrankDukes
5/14/07 11:31:00AM
^^^^^I think it is quite the opposite, he does that UFC program "Real Quick with Mike Swick" and it is pretty funny. He seems pretty dissapointed in his loss to Yushin, after all it was about 10 minutes from his hometown.

He should stay at 185 and just try to add some muscle. He would lose all of his speed advantage at 170 and he would still be weak.
Svartorm
5/14/07 9:55:21PM
I think he does fine at 185 myself. In the Okami fight, it looked more like he couldn't get his game plan off. I'm sure with a few more fights under his belt, he'll be able to iron out little quirks like that. Not that I fight at that level, but sometimes when you run into an opponent that has you a little over-matched, its very hard to think your way around it, especially when you've got to devote your energy to avoiding getting hit, subbed, etc.
Lord_Lenny
5/14/07 11:23:44PM
I think moving down would be a good move for him. It wouldn't damage his speed so much as it might his cardio (if he loses the weight unhealthily). Using his big reach he might be able to dominate striking. The only thing about speed is that he would be matched up with people faster than most MW which might hurt his current speed advantage
Svartorm
5/15/07 1:34:47AM
Why do you guys think he should move down? It would be one thing if he was getting dropped by lower level competition or had toiled away at that weight and couldn't make it to a title, but he hasn't. Hes got one loss in UFC against a guy who simply out-worked him that night. He didn't get destroyed or even dominated, but just simply lost a fight to a guy in the top 5 for middle weights. If a year from now hes in a similar place and can't crack into #1 contendership or keeps dropping fights, then seeing if he could make Welterweight would make sense, but I think its too soon.
Lord_Lenny
5/15/07 9:18:32PM
im just saying that physically he can do it, a lot of people seem to think that losing the weight will slow him down or make him less explosive. he did lose a fight to a good fighter but he might do better at 170, he should give it a lot of thought, and consider that he is young with a lot to learn. I just think he will see more of an immediate change as a WW with his reach, even in a striking match Silva and Franklin would tear him up, but in the WW there are few that would want to stand with him, and if he can develop a good sprawl he could easily dominate at 170
raindrops21
5/15/07 10:28:22PM
I think he should move down just because he's a small MW. Reminds me of Kampmann, both need to drop down in my opinion. Swick hasn't looked impressive in his last two fights, he squeaked by a decision over a very defeated and unmotivated David Louiseau and dropped a fight to Okami where he didn't want to let his hands go. He was winning the fight when he let his hands go and was landing the better shots. Okami is a counter-striker, but was getting hit hard by Swick.

But, the MW division is suddenly becoming thin, and Swick could see his opportunity for a big fight very soon. You've got Marquardt and Silva coming up and Franklin and Okami. I would have to think Swick would get a chance at either Marquardt or another shot at Okami because there isn't much left out there for him to fight. I think I like his chances better at WW where maybe he could make a run and return to being Mike "Quick" Swick. Fast hands and even faster guillotine chokes.
kaduey
5/16/07 11:27:29PM
Mike Swick shouldn't move down to 170, and he is also very overrated. Swick hasn't looked world class in one fight he's had. His stand-up game is ugly. He looks like a spastic when he swings. David Loiseau is also very overrated as well. His only win against a top level opponent was Evan Tanner and Tanner would have won that fight if The Crow didn't land those elbows. Swick will slowly fade from the UFC after a couple of losses to some big opponents.
raindrops21
5/16/07 11:32:23PM

Posted by kaduey

Mike Swick shouldn't move down to 170, and he is also very overrated. Swick hasn't looked world class in one fight he's had. His stand-up game is ugly. He looks like a spastic when he swings. David Loiseau is also very overrated as well. His only win against a top level opponent was Evan Tanner and Tanner would have won that fight if The Crow didn't land those elbows. Swick will slowly fade from the UFC after a couple of losses to some big opponents.

That's like saying Tito would've beat Chuck if Chuck didn't knock him out.

The Crow was/is known for devastating elbows from the guard and Tanner should have known not to go there. (See: Rich Franklin vs. David Lousieau) Rich had The Crow on the ground plenty of times and had every opportunity to takes his back but never did.....simply for the fact that he knew he could wind up on the bottom and get wrecked by those elbows.

I do agree Swick is slightly overrated, but outside of his last two fights, he's had exciting fights. I think he fares better at WW than at MW and I think it would be a good move for him. The only downside is him training at AKA with Kos and Fitch who are both moving into contention, which would leave him way out of the loop if they make it to the top. You know they won't fight each other.
Ultimate_fighter
5/17/07 6:58:24PM
keep interviewing fighters this one was great
kaduey
5/18/07 2:00:30PM

Posted by raindrops21

Posted by kaduey

The Crow was/is known for devastating elbows from the guard and Tanner should have known not to go there. (See: Rich Franklin vs. David Lousieau) Rich had The Crow on the ground plenty of times and had every opportunity to takes his back but never did.....simply for the fact that he knew he could wind up on the bottom and get wrecked by those elbows.

I do agree Swick is slightly overrated, but outside of his last two fights, he's had exciting fights. I think he fares better at WW than at MW and I think it would be a good move for him. The only downside is him training at AKA with Kos and Fitch who are both moving into contention, which would leave him way out of the loop if they make it to the top. You know they won't fight each other.

How is getting knocked out the same as getting a cut? Knocking a guy out is a legit way to win a fight, because buddy's knocked out. But you can be winning the whole fight get a cut and lose.
raindrops21
5/18/07 10:37:00PM

Posted by kaduey

Posted by raindrops21

Posted by kaduey

How is getting knocked out the same as getting a cut? Knocking a guy out is a legit way to win a fight, because buddy's knocked out. But you can be winning the whole fight get a cut and lose.

Getting cut by a glancing elbow like Joe Riggs vs. Chris Lytle is a little different than getting absolutely smashed by 5 or 6 consecutive elbows. The Crow clearly won that fight, and it wasn't by a fluke cut. Tanner was more than rocked by the elbows, and knew he shouldn't have taken The Crow's back. There have been many times when one fighter is winning a fight, makes a mistake and loses. To say he was winning until his opponent did something to win the fight, you just can't say that. Franklin fought the perfect fight with The Crow, don't take his back, don't let him in your guard, and don't let him drop elbows on your face.
kaduey
5/21/07 10:03:34PM

Posted by raindrops21

Posted by kaduey

Posted by raindrops21

Posted by kaduey

Getting cut by a glancing elbow like Joe Riggs vs. Chris Lytle is a little different than getting absolutely smashed by 5 or 6 consecutive elbows. The Crow clearly won that fight, and it wasn't by a fluke cut. Tanner was more than rocked by the elbows, and knew he shouldn't have taken The Crow's back. There have been many times when one fighter is winning a fight, makes a mistake and loses. To say he was winning until his opponent did something to win the fight, you just can't say that. Franklin fought the perfect fight with The Crow, don't take his back, don't let him in your guard, and don't let him drop elbows on your face.

Loiseau was losing the Evan Tanner fight. He got top mount and threw a couple of elbows. Who else has he beat? no one. Rich Franklin destroyed the Crow. He was man handled.
Svartorm
5/21/07 11:36:25PM
The Crow has beaten a few decent MW fighters. No one top notch besides Tanner, but he can take the lower rung MW fighters in the UFC, and hopefully will get back on track now that hes with a new camp.

As for the Franklin vs. Crow fight, the Crow was far from destroyed in that fight. It wasn't a close decision, but it was far from being man-handled.