The New look of the UFC Heavyweight Class.......

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The New look of the UFC Heavyweight Class.......
POLL: Who will make the biggest impact in 2009 to the heavyweight class
Shane Carwin 23% (22)
Junior dos Santos 7% (7)
Cain Velasquez 23% (22)
Pat Barry 0% (0)
Brock Lesnar 46% (43)
Kracker_Jap
11/3/08 12:03:46AM
Shane Carwin 10-0

5XL gloves and has never made it into the 3rd minute of the first round Possesses great KO power with a solid wrestling background

Junior dos Santos 7-1

With only one blemish he too has ended all his fights in the first round, rumored to train with Anderson and the Nog bros....

Cain Velasquez 4-0

Another fighter with all wins in the first round all by TKO great striker along with great wrestling skills

Pat Barry 3-0

Unknown fighter with all wins coming by TKO or KO is set to debut UFC 92

Brock Lesnar 2-1

Really the most hyped fighter that hasn't started his career on the net.... But has the worst records of the UFC rookie Heavyweight class, the guy has 1 size smaller glove than Carwin but walks around weighing 285lbs definitely has show great speed and power....

I'm not sure if you guys can add any more info for these fighters(or more fighters) but I do think this is the weight class to watch in 2009.....

higdon10
11/3/08 12:07:51AM
Lesnar has a great chance to enter '09 as the HW Champ. Therefore, he is my choice.
cmill21
11/3/08 12:35:25AM
I like what Lesnars doing, he's with a pretty good camp, and he's gigantic, but he's in the deepest end of the pool, the others are starting how most do while Brock is fighting in mains and title fights. I personally think Brock needs more time to develop, he's got a very good match up for him when he faces Randy, but if he faces Nog or Mir he will probably lose due to his limited submission game and having no time to develop it(harder to defend an arm bar when it's some guy viciously punching you in the face). Out of the group I would say Cain will have the best career. He's training in an amazing camp out at AKA and he's a big dude. I don't know why I just see him being able to develop better then Brock will be and he won't have to face a guy like Nog any time soon.

EDIT: Oh and Cain is the youngest out of the big wrestlers so I think that will also contribute.
Fearless915
11/3/08 7:36:47AM
Junior dos Santos will be great, I think he is going to need to put on a little more weight though, he is still to light
Jackelope
11/3/08 7:45:15AM
Cain Velasquez. He's got similar wrestling credentials to Brock, but he's got youth on his side. Although he's not as big as Brock is.

Carwin and Lesnar I think both will make some waves, but they've both got father time working against them
4u2nv
11/3/08 9:18:18AM
HW are finally going into the right direction. Their still isn't a complete dominant force yet but its starting to overcast over many of the same old HW that have been in there that need to sharpen their game... cough cough* Kongo, Werdum and Herring and many many more.
Bobby-B-Bonkers
11/3/08 10:17:44AM
Shane and Brock 50-50 split

Junior is right behind them tho
seanfu
11/3/08 11:12:39AM
If Lesnar beats Couture and loses to Noguiera then he'll be a HW Rich Franklin. Solid number 2.

Shane Carwin is a kid who looks to be a "next big thing" for the division.

Carwin will probably get more of a rankings boost.
gsquat
11/3/08 11:31:44AM
I would've said Shane Carwin before he fought Wain, but his striking was less than impressive. Now don't forget he's one of my favorite fighters. I know he landed that big shot on Wellisch, but he's not a great striker. I had to go with Brock. He's good and fast on the feet and smothering on the ground.
mrsmiley
11/3/08 12:01:03PM
Man I'm finaly getting pumped about the HW division.
Lot of good contenders coming up.
GrizzlyChadams
11/3/08 4:08:18PM
I think Cains got the brightest future in the UFC. Tons of potential, he'll make some serious waves in the HW devision.
copcopps
11/3/08 7:38:01PM
Dos Santos
DCRage
11/3/08 7:39:55PM
I voted for Carwin. Just having to wear 5XL gloves really says something, especially from a potential intimidation standpoint.
CwB
11/3/08 9:41:05PM

Posted by DCRage

I voted for Carwin. Just having to wear 5XL gloves really says something, especially from a potential intimidation standpoint.

Its gonna take more then just freak hands to intimidate any of the top 10
heavyweights

I dont know anything about junior dos santos yet and i have only see him fight once. so i cant decide yet whether he has a bright fuure just like the other guys

Kracker_Jap
11/3/08 10:38:09PM

Posted by CwB

Posted by DCRage

Its gonna take more then just freak hands to intimidate any of the top 10
heavyweights

I dont know anything about junior dos santos yet and i have only see him fight once. so i cant decide yet whether he has a bright fuure just like the other guys

How about the fact he has 10 wins that have come in the first round and before the 2 and 1/2 minute marker......

Sounds like more than just big hands........
Pitbull09
11/3/08 10:46:58PM
Shane Carwin. He has the body of Lesnar but the key difference is he is balanced, experienced and well trained.

If they fought each other, Lesnar may be able to get KO'd
cowcatcher
11/3/08 10:56:34PM
well if im going to answer about who will have the biggest 09 then its got to be brock, hes in the title mix right now, and he will be a headliner or co-headliner in every fight hes in next year.

cain is the one who looks poised to have the best career, youth, size, wrestling pedigree and camp are all great things he has going for him.

as far as dos santos is concerned, i never jump on a guys bandwagon after 1 fight, as of right now i look at him like i looked at alexander after the jardine fight: very impressive first time out, now lets see what you can do in your next fight. basically the jury is still out.

carwin is big strong and scary for anyone to face, but hes getting a little long in the tooth and im not sure how much time he really has left, but he could definately make some noise and a match between him and lesnar would put butts in seats, people love seeing giants fight(not just japanese people either).
big_timmy
11/3/08 11:26:32PM
Isnt it funny how not 2 months ago the Heavy's look like being the thinnest of the divisons, then a few guys get some wins, few new signings, no real big names mind you, and its flared up again.

I voted Lesnar for the sheer fact he is a big name, where as the rest of the guys on the list are just only now taking strides to get the publics attention.

Lesnar, even on a bad day, is like Chuck Lidell is now. Could be fighting anyone, and many would tune in for the sheer fact its Lesnar. Plus the fact he is getting his title shot... And if he does beat randy, then he'll have another title fight straight after it. With a win here, Brock could well set himself up for the next few years.
pv3Hpv3p
11/4/08 1:43:14PM
Went with Valazquez... He's young, has a solid wrestling base (which usually equals good cardio IMO) and can stand and trade as well... I think he beats Brock 7 or 8 out of 10 times... Carwin I really like, but am a little iffy about the age issue... But to me Shane and Brock are on about the same level, right under but very close to Cain... Pretty solid group of up and comers in a division that really needed it
slapshot
11/4/08 5:20:00PM

Posted by big_timmy

Isnt it funny how not 2 months ago the Heavy's look like being the thinnest of the divisons, then a few guys get some wins, few new signings, no real big names mind you, and its flared up again.

I guess in some peoples opinion its better but in mine its just as lack luster as it was then and its defiantly still the weakest division in the UFC.
bls1919
11/4/08 5:38:34PM
I am going with Cain Velasquez. His wrestleing is right there with Brock's. His Stand up is better than Brock and Carwin's. he is young and fast. It will be interesting to see where he is at the end of 09'
Kracker_Jap
11/6/08 10:49:48AM
I read all the post, and am surprised not more of you found the hidden potential from Shane Carwin
prozacnation1978
11/6/08 11:30:10AM
i know early in the year i was upset thought division was a joke when cro cop, timmy and andre were gone. but now will new blood and hype i think next year will be excellent

the fact i am going to my 5 th live events tired of watching welter weights and light weights eating up the cards
i am actually looking forward to ufc 92 i get to see 4 heavy weight fights that equals the last 4 events live i seen. matter of fact i can't recall in the last 4 years or so when a event even had more than 3 heavy weight fights on one card
jiujitsufreak74
11/6/08 3:19:55PM
well seeing as though Brock is entering a title fight which i think he will win, i am going to have to go with Brock as well (like the majority of you). i would love to see him battle it out with Carwin in a battle of the Behemoths, but i think the world would end from those two guys colliding. i really think Lesnar is going to beat Couture and hold onto the tile and give Nog/Mior a hell of a fight in their title fight as well. since he is already so close to the top of the division, i can't help but go with him

however, i'm rooting for my boy Shane to get a few more wins under his belt and win the title. he is a little old, but he has crazy credentials.

some facts on Carwin:

He was a talented NFL prospect
Nate Marquardt has said he has one of the best GnP at HW
3 time All American wrestler and 2 time All American football player
Back injury prevented him from joining the NFL
Division II National Champion wrestler
Purple belt in BJJ under Nate Marquardt
He has 11 total minutes of professional fighting experience since he neds all of his fights rather quickly
Randy Couture is using him as a tool to train for Lesnar
MMAcca
11/6/08 4:11:34PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Randy Couture is using him as a tool to train for Lesnar

Really!

Nice post JJF74. Props.

EDIT: Must spread the love.......
bls1919
11/6/08 7:02:42PM
I'll give Carwin a shout. But i would love to see him vs Cain V. I think it would be a big step up for Carwin. Even though he has more fights. I think Cain has better competition. Beating Jako O'Brian is no easy feat. Velasquez will be better off than most on the list at the end of 09'. Only Brock could be better off than him.