Not new to lifting but am having trouble creating a MMA routine.Can I get some help?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Not new to lifting but am having trouble creating a MMA routine.Can I get some help?
BigPapaGato
10/15/10 2:30:17PM
First off here's a little information about me:

I'm a 27 year old Paramedic who's 5'8" and 235lbs and am roughly 25.2% bodyfat. Even though i've always been on the husky side i've always managed to stay active and participate in sports.

I just started training in MMA (BJJ, Judo, Kickboxing and Muay Thai) for about 3 weeks now. I train twice a week on average 3-4 hours each session.

My physical goal is to drop down to roughly around 180lbs of lean muscle mass.

My training goal is to increase my overall conditioning and endurance.

I am fine tuning my diet currently as I was on a Primal/Paleo diet but am thinking I need to increase my carb intake due to the training session. I plan to stick to fruits and veggies as my primary source of carbohydrates.

My training schedule looks like this:

Mon - ??
Tue - MMA
Wed - REST
Thur -??
Fri -??
Sat - MMA
Sun - Rest

I work 24 hour shifts so on wed/sun I do not train at all as I am working. Tuesdays and wednesdays I train MMA.

My question is what kind of training routine should I look into for Mon, Thur, Fri?

I'm accustomed to a "bodybuilding" type of training program but i'm looking for a routine that is more in line with my goals.

Can anyone out there help me? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Jackelope
10/15/10 4:14:36PM
Let me introduce you to a little thing called crossfit.

www.crossfit.com

Go.

BTW- don't you operate out of a fire station? Don't they have a weight room in there? Or are you stuck in one of those private ambo company dorm type rooms? Honestly there just aren't that many programs out there which are going to do the things for you that crossfit will. Took me years to realize it, but it's the truth. If you want to start light try starting with a program like P90X because at least that will train you to get your diet online and how to push yourself. It's like Crossfit-UltraLite
BlueSkiesBurn
10/15/10 7:47:39PM
Jackelope is right about Crossfit.

It absolutely tortures your body in a good way.

I do like to do just one day of straight cardio, though. Running, exercise bike, pool. It's still a workout, but you get a nice break from all the other things.

Crossfit will totally get the job done. I just need a day where I'm focused on one thing. Plus, the pool is a really nice and refreshing way to work out. Depending on where you live. I'm in Cali so swimming is a must.
Jackelope
10/15/10 9:17:52PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I do like to do just one day of straight cardio, though. Running, exercise bike, pool. It's still a workout, but you get a nice break from all the other things.

Crossfit will totally get the job done. I just need a day where I'm focused on one thing. Plus, the pool is a really nice and refreshing way to work out. Depending on where you live. I'm in Cali so swimming is a must.

It's part of the crossfit philosophy to do things like this. You're doing it right if on your off days you go for a run, bike ride, swim, play basketball, play football, do MMA, anything. It's all about challenging your body in every way possible.

Plus, sometimes it's just nice as hell to look at those 155 lb. Thrusters and be like "F you, I'm not doing you today." haha
BlueSkiesBurn
10/15/10 9:20:28PM

Posted by Jackelope

Plus, sometimes it's just nice as hell to look at those 155 lb. Thrusters and be like "F you, I'm not doing you today." haha

So it's not just me, thank god.
Jackelope
10/15/10 9:29:16PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Jackelope

So it's not just me, thank god.

Dude, thrusters are my arch nemesis. I want to throw up every time. Fran is my worst enemy and that's only 95 lb. thrusters.