New Jiu-Jitsu place in my town.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » New Jiu-Jitsu place in my town.
gartface
3/9/09 12:59:13AM
A small place in Florence, SC has opened, called Swamp Fox Jiu-Jitsu. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what all the registration/monthly fees are.

But money aside, what should I expect? This will be my first time ever grappling outside of rolling with friends for fun.
loller90278
3/9/09 1:45:36AM
expect your elbows and knees to start burning. it's also going to be much more technical than you think.

have fun!
fullerene
3/9/09 8:56:00AM
Tell yourself and your insturctor/classmates that you've rolled around with your friends because you have an interest in the sport, but that you're learning everything for the first time. Don't try to correct or augment what the instructor says with things like, "Can't you also do an omoplata from here", "I thought the leg goes over the top to maximize leverage" or "in Mario Sperry's video he says that choke isn't effective."

Are you doing gi or no-gi?
gartface
3/9/09 9:25:57AM
I wouldn't try to correct the instructor. The only things I know are from watching mma fights, not even ADCC videos or instructional videos. I'm pretty sure it's going to be gi jiu-jitsu. I went to the website www.swampfoxjiujitsu.com it seems like it's more geared toward self defense, which usually means with a gi right?
fullerene
3/9/09 11:59:42AM
The pictures on the site are all gi. I'll assume you were used to rolling with your friends without a gi. Some things you'll probably notice on your first class as a result are how much more effective certain offense--like chokes from the guard--are with a gi and how tired your grip gets.

Glad to hear you weren't going to try to be a know-it-all with the instructor. I only mention that scenario because I've seen it done before which, especially given the lack of basics they had, made the self-trained guys sound worse intstead of better.
gartface
3/9/09 6:16:38PM
I called the place today, it's a little out of my price range at the moment. I'm a struggling college student, and to pay $85 per month for a place that just opened and is only 3 days a week is a little much.

Yeah when I roll with my friends it's no-gi. The guy said I could buy a gi from him as well. But if I'm going to spend that kind of bread, I would go an hour and a half down the road to a Gracie Barra gym in Columbia, SC. I guess right now, I just have to wait til May when I graduate, and find out where I get a job before I start making commitments with that kind of money.
madmarck
3/12/09 12:14:22PM

Posted by gartface

I called the place today, it's a little out of my price range at the moment. I'm a struggling college student, and to pay $85 per month for a place that just opened and is only 3 days a week is a little much.

Yeah when I roll with my friends it's no-gi. The guy said I could buy a gi from him as well. But if I'm going to spend that kind of bread, I would go an hour and a half down the road to a Gracie Barra gym in Columbia, SC. I guess right now, I just have to wait til May when I graduate, and find out where I get a job before I start making commitments with that kind of money.

85 a month isnt bad for 3 classes if they are at least 2 hours each.
But if you cant afford it. probably just worth it to put it off.
just a FYI. starting off man driving a hour and a half out of the way seems unnecessary.
The-Don
3/14/09 5:06:27PM
regardless of where you end up.. ask questions and then LISTEN to the answers..
phoenix67
3/15/09 11:06:11PM
Hi,im in florence also,i train at this jiu-jitsu school,and have been for over 3 months and i can assure you ,you will definitely get your moneys worth,the instructor is quite friendly and can and will answer any questions you may have and the quality of instruction is the best in the area i guarantee it!the atmosphere is friendly and no egos.i have learned more here in the little time i have trained in b.jj ,than i have in several years i studied t.k.d and wrestling.and you definitely get a great workout in the process as well.i hope you can consider coming and joining the class,the more we have ,the better,more to roll with.take care and good luck in your training!!