Could the new Japan "Pride" be the M-1 buyers?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Could the new Japan "Pride" be the M-1 buyers?
NatedawgThaM
10/15/07 1:47:52PM
Cmill21 posted a topic "interesting news" in the MMA lounge about the M-1 owner. He said that the company who bought M-1 started with "World". People are saying the next Japan company that could be the new Pride called WORLD Victory Road.

Could this new Japan company be the ones that bought M-1? They are signing some pretty big names and I think I read somewhere they would be doing things with other MMA organizations so maybe they will be hosting Fedor from M-1 vs Frank Shamrock from strike force?

There might be an obvious answer so don't be too hard on me. This is just an interesting thought I came up upon.

This would be totally bad ass though
warglory
10/15/07 1:55:55PM
If this is true, I would be super relieved. UFC needs some real competition and I think Japan is the only place where this can happen.
jiujitsufreak74
10/15/07 2:08:23PM
It can't be if the company is japaneese because the buyer was reported to be american.
LR
10/15/07 2:49:04PM
Reportedly, the rumor is that a Russian/American Gambling company has bought M-1. That's a rumor, but it's a fairly close prediction considering a lot of writers who already know who it is, but won't disclose because it was confirmed in an off the record comment.

With that said, it's already been refuted as being Bodog. WVR could always be a possibility though, but they stated in the press conference that they were announcing an event soon, but it sounds like it won't happen for awhile. They also stated that they would think about working with another promotion. They wouldn't say that if they had bought another promotion, especially in Russia where MMA isn't huge. They wouldn't buy an organization out of the country.

WVR will build their own promotion, probably get a lot of great talent. I hope for a PRIDE rebirth through WVR.
loonytnt
10/15/07 2:54:47PM
whoever or whatever owns it i hope they make the ufc work a lil harder to get fighters
keith-hackney1
10/15/07 3:45:38PM
I hope its true, with a japenese event, a shit load of cash thrown in it and some of the top fighters signed, this fight org could pick up where pridefc left off pretty damn fast. Especially now the mma in japan is limited, the japenese fans are waiting the return of pride in some way, shape or form. With all these multi millionnaires coming into mma and promoting events like m1, the ufc have a hell of alot more to compete with. Fair enough these investers wont have a clue about mma or how to promote or host these shows, but bas rutten and stephen quadros are availible for comentating, they'll sell it for you.
Barnett and hunt must be next on the m1 hit list !!!!!!
Lay_N_Pray
10/15/07 4:08:14PM
Actually Im not 100% sure on this, but I think Hunt is going to be coming to the UFC and it is just a matter of formalities that is stopping the announcement. White said the weight issue should get taken care of and he will be fighting for the UFC.

Sorry I dont have a source for that, but I read it about a month ago and it seemed he was pretty confident something would happen by early next year, like January
EvilScott
10/15/07 6:09:41PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Actually Im not 100% sure on this, but I think Hunt is going to be coming to the UFC and it is just a matter of formalities that is stopping the announcement. White said the weight issue should get taken care of and he will be fighting for the UFC.

Sorry I dont have a source for that, but I read it about a month ago and it seemed he was pretty confident something would happen by early next year, like January

I remember reading that Hunt had already had his contract transferred, but he is having trouble making the 265 to fight in the HW class.
EddieBowers
10/16/07 9:37:05AM
Another rumor is that Mark Cuban, through one of his campanies, is the one buying M-1. He just did his first MMA fight out here in Dallas and there was a lot of buzz about him buying up some other org. and having some big name fighters.... etc.
Branwest
10/16/07 11:47:14AM
This would be good. Either that, or I hope Mark Cuban has bought it. He treats fighters well, and he will make sure the production level/value of the fights are great.
PW
10/17/07 12:30:44PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Cmill21 posted a topic "interesting news" in the MMA lounge about the M-1 owner. He said that the company who bought M-1 started with "World".

I don't know how much truth there is to that but it could very well be World Wrestling Entertainment. It would explain the secrecy and it was said that it's an American "entertainment" company, not necessarily a sports company. Shane McMahon has been interested in branching out to MMA for a while now so I really wouldn't put it past them. Vince even had some meetings with Sakakibara in the past so the interest is definitely there.
NatedawgThaM
10/18/07 7:02:31AM

Posted by PW

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Cmill21 posted a topic "interesting news" in the MMA lounge about the M-1 owner. He said that the company who bought M-1 started with "World".

I don't know how much truth there is to that but it could very well be World Wrestling Entertainment. It would explain the secrecy and it was said that it's an American "entertainment" company, not necessarily a sports company. Shane McMahon has been interested in branching out to MMA for a while now so I really wouldn't put it past them. Vince even had some meetings with Sakakibara in the past so the interest is definitely there.

Holy Shat!!! U could be right!!

If Vince did buy this I would freakin cry and never watch MMA again...
brooklynbadass
10/18/07 11:03:38AM
Supposedly it was bought by an american company. I am going out on a limb here and predicting it was purchased by none other then Don King... we will all know who it is on Monday once the M-1 press conference takes place..