New (and hopefully improved) video of me hitting the bag

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » New (and hopefully improved) video of me hitting the bag
Next Page »
fedorwins1
8/8/07 4:17:20PM
Been training for about 3 weeks and just need some constructive criticism, I was limited with space so I couldn't do a whole lot of moving. This is about a week or so after I hurt my knee also. It's so short because I used and digital camera and that's also why there isn't any sound. Also pay attention to the shirt I'm wearing .

Me hitting the bag

My awesome weedwacker is in the background too
danny81
8/8/07 5:04:16PM
u have to stop the useless hand movement. keep them steady.
fullerene
8/8/07 7:33:53PM
Have you really only been training 3 weeks? If that's the case you probably have fewer obvious flaws than about anyone else I've seen. I don't know if I'm being worked, but you were doing a good job of keeping your guard up, retracting your punches and throwing kicks in rythm with your punches rather than changing your stance for one or the other...those are all things that almost any beginner does. Good job.

The only thing that was noticeable to me was that your head/shoulders appeared to be at about the same level and square to the bag throughout the whole video. That means you weren't bending your legs and/or stepping out to the side to open your hips on your kicks which means they are going to have less power. But that's a minor criticism and it looked like tight quarters in there so you may not have been able to move around much anyways.
Mastodon2
8/8/07 7:45:35PM
Decent video, you arms look straighter when you connect than in your last video, which is always good - more power and less chance of wrist injury.

My only advice, get a new pair of bag gloves!
fullerene
8/8/07 7:53:34PM

Posted by Mastodon2
My only advice, get a new pair of bag gloves!

ha-ha, I forgot that part. I noticed that too and I was a little worried we were going to see you point sparring on the heavy bag.
danny81
8/8/07 11:03:04PM
and stop moving your hands aroudn like that. you should keep them still. except when punchihg
akumairon
8/8/07 11:32:36PM
ummm buddy there called feints most people use them to keep people guessing
danny81
8/8/07 11:42:15PM
lol. thats not a feint he was doing useless hand movement. any good boxer would realize what he is doing and that would help the boxer know when he is about to do the hand movements so he can rip into him
Svartorm
8/9/07 1:49:28AM
Good job bro, you've improved visibly since last time. I also like how you're not throwing spinning backfists and junk, as most beginners start learning every goofy trick in the book before they even get their jab down.

Your punches look crisp, and your front leg roundhouse is fast and steady. Your rear leg roundhouse could use some work as you look somewhat off balance when you throw it, and its not as fast as it should be to be an effective weapon in a stand-up fight. As for your hards, moving them around a bit isn't a big deal, but you should really make sure they don't go flying when you throw that rear leg roundhouse kick. You're good about returning them to fighting position after you throw, but you're just asking to eat a straight having your hands fly out like that. In the grand scheme of things, a rear leg kick isn't a weapon you'd be using constantly anyways (I'm assuming you're training MMA here), so I'd work on my punches and punch combos if I were you, and go from there.
fedorwins1
8/9/07 12:22:43PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah some of the kicks looked alittle weird because of space I couldn't really step into them. The gloves oh man, I've had those things for about 7 years lol. The hand movement thing is just a thing I do without thinking I guess I do it to distract the other person.
Signal2112
8/9/07 12:42:47PM
Good stuff, though if you can try and find a more spacious place to train, do so, as it really really help you develop your kicks since you won't be thinking about knocking into something!
Lifes
8/9/07 2:18:31PM
Umm, it's not useless hand movements. When he kicks with his right, his left should be guarding his head and his right hand swinging. It makes the kick more powerful. I was trained that way when I was training for Muay Thai.
danny81
8/9/07 4:07:24PM
im not talking about the i mean when hes just standing there he strats spinning his hands in circles.
fedorwins1
8/9/07 4:14:01PM

Posted by danny81

im not talking about the i mean when hes just standing there he strats spinning his hands in circles.

Not really in circles just up and down. Ever see Rashad Evans hands? He's all over the place. I just mostly do it to distract my opponent.
danny81
8/9/07 4:37:33PM
its not a good habit. if i saw you do that i would wait for you to do it and then BAM overhand right to the face.
Svartorm
8/9/07 9:28:12PM
If his hand movements were all over the place, like that thing Nick Diaz does where he puts his hands way up like hes trying to scare someone, thats one thing. Moving your hands around a little bit isn't anything to be worried about. You have to have some rhythm in your stance or its entirely too obvious when you're about to throw.
danny81
8/9/07 10:55:28PM
ehh. i guess aslong as he doenst gight agood puncher he should be fine.
Svartorm
8/9/07 11:49:15PM
I'm sure he'll be fine regardless. There are only a handful of guys that use static defenses successfully, and a three inch movement isn't going to spell your doom.
danny81
8/10/07 1:25:38AM
head movement is much more important tho then hand movement. hand movement is just useless. head movement atleast helps against strikes.
Svartorm
8/10/07 3:53:28AM
No one said head movement wasn't important, but your notion of hand movements is silly. Everyone moves their hands in some way when in a stand-up fight . Hell, I can only think of three fighters off the top of my head that don't. Smokin Joe Frazier, Kevin Randleman and Carter Williams all fight like statues, and that works for them, but the majority of fighters will move their hands. It helps with your rhythm when striking, which in turn helps disguise when you're going to throw a strike. You've gotta have some serious fast-twitch muscle fibers to be able to go from a stand-still and fire off sharp punches successfully.
danny81
8/10/07 6:38:43PM
you should FEINT every now and then but what he is doing is just rhythmic hadn movement. any good sstriker would be able to get the rhythm and find the holes. now if you think about it so it doesnt get into some sort of rhythm it would work but that would basically make you take your mind of fighting and into making random almost useless hand movement.
Svartorm
8/10/07 7:17:39PM
WHAT HOLES?!?!?! Hes moving his hands three inches, not whipping them around like a windmill. Hes not creating an opening with the hands, and therefore isn't in any danger of it being exploited.
danny81
8/10/07 11:56:47PM
have u ever been in a MMA fight? or any MA fight?
Svartorm
8/11/07 1:30:56AM
I've been involved in MA longer than you've been alive kid so don't play this up like I don't know what I'm talking about. Read my profile if you care to read about my credentials.

As for the topic at hand, for whatever reason, you're making a mountain out of a molehill with this hand movement thing. Either show us something that proves hes in danger by moving his hands like he does, or stop arguing about it.
bayonetxwork
8/11/07 4:27:19PM

Posted by danny81

its not a good habit. if i saw you do that i would wait for you to do it and then BAM overhand right to the face.

I doubt it. If you watch footage tons and tons and tons if fighters do this with no consequence. Your making a huge deal about it which is ridiculous because its not even really that bad of a habit, its not like hes dropping them or anything, just moving them which is fine IMO.

Anyways, back to the video, definitely much improved since the last video. But I'd recommend working some head movement, and some footwork because it seems that your coming in straight with your head straight up most of the time(which could be just because of lack of space, not sure). But good work, and keep it up

BTW, have you been training stand up at that grappling place your going to? Or are you still self-training that?
fedorwins1
8/11/07 4:37:37PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

I doubt it. If you watch footage tons and tons and tons if fighters do this with no consequence. Your making a huge deal about it which is ridiculous because its not even really that bad of a habit, its not like hes dropping them or anything, just moving them which is fine IMO.

Anyways, back to the video, definitely much improved since the last video. But I'd recommend working some head movement, and some footwork because it seems that your coming in straight with your head straight up most of the time(which could be just because of lack of space, not sure). But good work, and keep it up

BTW, have you been training stand up at that grappling place your going to? Or are you still self-training that?

Yeah kind of forgot the head movement and footwork was at a bare minimal because of space it's in a very tiny shed. I've mostly been training grappling where I'm going but every once in a while I go to kickboxing and I go to MMA once a week.
Svartorm
8/12/07 2:43:13AM
If space is a problem and you're at least a little bit handy, I can send you a design for an outdoor heavy bag rig I made. Doesn't help much when its raining, but its nice on cool days.
bayonetxwork
8/12/07 4:00:00PM

Posted by Svartorm

I've been involved in MA longer than you've been alive kid so don't play this up like I don't know what I'm talking about. Read my profile if you care to read about my credentials.

As for the topic at hand, for whatever reason, you're making a mountain out of a molehill with this hand movement thing. Either show us something that proves hes in danger by moving his hands like he does, or stop arguing about it.

lmfao, Svartom via 2nd round KTFO.
fedorwins1
8/12/07 7:41:07PM

Posted by Svartorm

If space is a problem and you're at least a little bit handy, I can send you a design for an outdoor heavy bag rig I made. Doesn't help much when its raining, but its nice on cool days.

That would be cool, but the only problem is that I live in a development and they have stupid rules and they're very strict about stuff like that. I just use the bag in my shed when I'm bored, but when I go to class they have open space and they have plenty heavybags.
danny81
8/12/07 10:10:09PM
join a kickboxing gym and they will teach you not to move your hands. but really just join a kickboxing gym
Pages: [1] 2