Is this the new golden era of the UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Is this the new golden era of the UFC?
Mayo
3/4/07 3:54:14PM
Will this year be the definitive year for the UFC? I can't see it getting any better than this. There is no better line-up of champions than what we have now...

HW - Couture
LHW - Liddell
MW - Silva
WW - GSP
LW - Sherk

How can it get better than this? Is it only downhill from here? Years from now will we all be talking about the glory days of 2007? What's next? Should the UFC try to have an Open Weight Tournament?

PS. Eveybody has got to change their Pound For Pound rankings so that Couture can at least get into the top 10 listing!
gimmper
3/4/07 8:34:54PM
If your heavyweight champ was knocked out by your light heavy weight champ...then my question is...how is this the best line up ever?
Huckit
3/4/07 8:36:57PM
gsp has a good chance against couture. shows how fuct they champs are
Mayo
3/4/07 9:01:50PM

Posted by gimmper

If your heavyweight champ was knocked out by your light heavy weight champ...then my question is...how is this the best line up ever?

Well CroCop was KOed by Randleman and people still say CroCop is one of the best. Wanderlei was KOed by Henderson but people still say Wanderlei is one of the best.
Yes Chuck KOed Couture but then what... should the UFC have an Open Weight Tournament and see if Chuck should own all the belts?
With Couture having held a belt 5 times in his career, I think he makes a legit current HW not to mention one of the best HW ever.
What UFC line up of champs from the past would you say is better than this one?
thelastking
3/4/07 9:08:40PM
The line up could get better by having Cro Cop as the HW champion. Couture is a great fighter but i dont see him keeping his HW belt for to long of course it depends on who the UFC has him fighting.

And everybody should change there P4P ratings to include Couture
gimmper
3/4/07 9:08:57PM
Royce Gracie the only champ...when it was a free for all challenge...you make a great point though, now that I think about it, this sport is so new that maybe it's easy to have higher expectations than what we are currently working with. Unification of all these orgs would solve that. Thank you Mayo
madmarck
3/4/07 9:11:42PM

Posted by Huckit

GSP has a good chance of beating anyone under 200lbs.
Mayo
3/4/07 9:36:21PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Huckit

Now that I think about it if there ever was an open weight tournament in the UFC, then GSP might just win it all.
nate22
3/4/07 9:42:38PM

Posted by Mayo

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Huckit

Now that I think about it if there ever was an open weight tournament in the UFC, then GSP might just win it all.

With Cro Cop, Werdum, Chuck, Bisping, Silva, Franklin involved? No offence to GSP but he fights at 170, I could see him upsetting a few in that list, but when it came down to Chuck, Cro Cop, Werdum, I don't think he has too much of a chance.
madmarck
3/4/07 9:53:12PM
yeah thats why i said under 200lbs. GSP doesnt have the size to deal with a HW.
nate22
3/4/07 10:06:42PM
To Mayo, he said he thought GSP could take an OWGP
madmarck
3/4/07 10:11:07PM

Posted by nate22

To Mayo, he said he thought GSP could take an OWGP

Yeah i know. He totally took my post and ran with it. Way to far.
nate22
3/4/07 10:19:50PM
Mayo is tripping he knows GSP couldn't handle CC, aren't you the one whose meant to be a Canadian?