New Dana White ESPN interview.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » New Dana White ESPN interview.
hippysmacker
7/31/07 11:24:52PM
He addresses the drug problems . Makes me wonder if the internet response to Josh Gross on the MMAtv forums was really him. Who knows? I wish he would clarify tthat though

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=2956319
Stickan
8/1/07 1:22:48AM
thanks for the interview.

"You and me probably have six nanograms [of the steroid Nandrolone] in our system; he had 12."
Does Dana use steroids? Why would an athletic commission set the limit at six nanograms if an average bald guy in his 40`s has that amount in his body naturally?

hippysmacker
8/1/07 4:12:51AM

Posted by Stickan

"You and me probably have six nanograms [of the steroid Nandrolone] in our system; he had 12."
Does Dana use steroids? Why would an athletic commission set the limit at six nanograms if an average bald guy in his 40`s has that amount in his body naturally?

Does sound a bit like hyperbole, but I get his point. A highly trained MMA fighter could have a false positive test.
sfmaster
8/1/07 5:54:56AM
It is good something is being done, those bonuses are a good chunk of their overall pay, to take it away would be a stiff punishment indeed.
Stickan
8/1/07 6:23:51AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by Stickan

Does sound a bit like hyperbole, but I get his point. A highly trained MMA fighter could have a false positive test.

So it's actually a fact that if you train hard, you get higher nandrolone levels? It's not like Sherk is the only fighter training hard. If six was such a low level, why didn't Tito Ortiz, Rashad Evans or any other athlete who was on that card test positive?

I think Dana is full of shit when it comes to the testing at UFC 72. OF COURSE people have asked for the results from those tests. I know that sherdog.com has said on their radio show that they've tried to get a hold of a copy of the results and the question about those results have been floating around the MMA community for a while now. Of course someone else asked too.
Plus, why didn't he just put the results up on UFC.com if they were all negative? It would make the UFC look good and we all know Dana would do anything for the UFC to look good and legit.
I'm not saying that someone tested positive but something is fishy about it.

He sounds a little bit more active against steroids than normally but that might be because he's actually talking to the mainstream media in that interview. I don't know if him saying that he takes away some of the fighters bonuses is very reinsuring that there will be a change to me. It's not gonna change the perception and no one sees the "punishment" being handed out by Dana.

I don't want to sound like I just hate on Dana but he's been hypocritical about this subject all along and maybe he's starting to take a stronger stance against steroids but the problem is that we don't see it. If we from now on see results coming back negative from most events and we get to see that they actually handle the tests when they go to places without commissions we know that he's done something right. But somehow I doubt it.
sfmaster
8/1/07 6:39:06AM
Sherk is his friend, and he wants to give him the benefit of the doubt, of course if the appeal fails sherk's punishment will still stand. And about sherdog, Fight finder is horrible with records of fighters and yet people still look at that when searching for fighter histories all the time. They get info wrong a lot and they have released privileged info about things the UFC did not want to make public (tuf 4 contestants, etc). Of course Dana is not going to oblige a request from them. As usual Dana is the fall guy for just about everything these days, if something is wrong in the world of MMA, it must be Dana right?
Stickan
8/1/07 6:58:07AM

Posted by sfmaster

Sherk is his friend, and he wants to give him the benefit of the doubt, of course if the appeal fails sherk's punishment will still stand. And about sherdog, Fight finder is horrible with records of fighters and yet people still look at that when searching for fighter histories all the time. They get info wrong a lot and they have released privileged info about things the UFC did not want to make public (tuf 4 contestants, etc). Of course Dana is not going to oblige a request from them. As usual Dana is the fall guy for just about everything these days, if something is wrong in the world of MMA, it must be Dana right?

So you're saying that Dana doesn't give sherdog the results because the fight finder doesn't always include the small indie shows results. Josh Gross did screw up big time once by releasing the results of TUF 4. That was a huge blunder but other than that, what have they done wrong and when did they get the info wrong?
And as I mentioned, why didn't he just put the results up on his page or gave them to another media that he liked better.

You can't just go "oooh people always blame Dana bla bla". Do you even know WHY people look for Dana to do something now?! He's simply the most powerful guy in MMA at the moment and he has never until now taken an active stance against steroids. He's the guy with the most influence. He's definately not the one to blame for Sherk and Franca testing positive but he is the man that can make changes for the future of this sport.
Stickan
8/1/07 7:22:56AM
ttt.
IMO a pretty serious subject and a great interview and I'd like to hear more opinions on it.
sfmaster
8/1/07 7:25:44AM
Well first of all other than the reasons mentioned, I personally have no clue why Dana hates sherdog. And about the Dana comment, you misinterpreted me, what I mean was that he was is and will be the fall guy for internet troopers to direct their anger at for some time. I know something more intensive needs to be done about the steroid issue, and something is being done now. One of my biggest problems with a lot of the people on sherdog is that they will never accept the fact that the "evil" Dana White would ever do something simply out of good will.
LR
8/1/07 9:36:03AM
6 ng/ML is the upper limit. If you read the reports, 2 ng/ML is what an average person would most likely have so Dana White is probably more than likely at 2 ng/ML. He's trying to dumb down the entire 6 ng/ML limit by saying any of us could have that. I think one of the huge factors is that some fighters may be training up to the fight, but a lot of cutting weight the final couple of days. I believe Sherk has stated he doesn't need to cut weight, that he fights at 155 and maintains his weight at 155. So if he was straight flat out pushing it up until fight night, he may be able to push 6 ng, but I don't see him getting to 12 ng.

White is dumb down the facts to give Sherk a chance. I doubt it'll work. NSAC has been known for not giving fighters a chance if it's something they ate that they didn't know about, etc.