New Dana interview-feb. 26th- " I'll have Fedor someday"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » New Dana interview-feb. 26th- " I'll have Fedor someday"
hippysmacker
2/26/07 5:14:12PM
I just saw this on NBC, I'll paste it here

Fighting words
White: "I'll have Fedor someday"
By Mike Chiappetta
NBCSports.comPosted: Feb.26, 2007, 4:08 pm EST
The UFC freight train to success keeps on rolling ahead. The next stop on the ride is Columbus, Ohio, were the organization is expecting its largest audience ever, as almost 19,000 fans will pack the Nationwide Arena on Saturday, March 3 to see a card headlined by the return of "The Natural" Randy Couture, as he challenges UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia.
But the heavyweight division that has suddenly been inundated with the return of Couture, the arrival of Mirko Cro Cop and the acquisition of Fabricio Werdrum could someday soon boast the man who is considered by many to be the best in the world: Fedor Emelianenko.
UFC 68
Randy Couture interview: Part I | Part II
UFC 68 video preview: Couture, Franklin, Hughes and more
Debate UFC 68 matchups
UFC 68 Live weigh-in, 4pm Friday, March 2
on NBCSports.com
When asked about the upstart Bodog Fight organization and Emelianenko on a recent conference call, White bristled at the new group.
"I'm after all the best fighters in the world…," he said. "I'll have Fedor someday."
The Russian mixed martial artist reportedly signed a one-fight deal with Bodog, and is scheduled to take on Matt Lindland on April 14 in St. Petersburg, Russia. He reportedly extended his current deal with PRIDE in January, but the Japan-based organization has had financial difficulties after losing its TV deal last year.
White's comment on the PRIDE heavyweight champ was one among many that highlighted the explosive growth of the UFC, as he reiterated time and again that he is targeting all of the world's best fighters to join his group.
"I'm going to get them all," he said. "I'm getting everybody; they're all going to be with us."
Just days after PRIDE put on what was roundly praised as an excellent fight card in Las Vegas, White asserted UFC's supremacy in the US and around the world.
"What's happening now, is that with us going international now, and going after that talent, Tim [Sylvia] is finally in a position where a lot of those questions are going to be answered," White said. "A lot of people think that the mystique over in Japan, they're bigger, better, making more money. All of it's bull----. It's all a big myth and now we're in a place where we can prove it. Look at Nick Diaz… Diaz was cut by us because he lost so many times and he just beat Gomi who everyone thought was unstoppable and the best guy in that weight division. Not only did Nick Diaz beat him, but BJ Penn destroyed him."
He also shot back against PRIDE claims that UFC backed down in matching up its light-heayvweight champ Chuck Liddell with PRIDE's Wanderlei Silva, a longtime middleweight champ until losing last Saturday to Dan Henderson.
"I've been trying to make that Wanderlei Silva fight for Chuck for years," he said. "And that got these goofs running around saying I wouldn't make the fight and I'm the reason it won't happen. That's bull----. I've always been willing to prove we have the best fighters in the world. Now it's unfolding anyway. It's happening."
It appears that even though that's a fight White has talked about for years, it likely won't happen now with Silva having lost two straight fights.
"I'm pissed off he didn't lose to Chuck," White said. "They threw away the biggest fight in MMA history. Not only are they No. 2, they're not the brightest bulbs on the porch, either."
The two organizations have been locked in a war of words lately, with PRIDE declaring its global dominance at its most recent show, a declaration Randy Couture took exception to.
"I was at the event and they took several shots at the UFC," Couture said. "I think if you have to tell everybody that you have the best fighters in the world, then you probably don't."
Northrend
2/26/07 5:17:36PM
I don't see Fedor leaving for UFC since they lack in the HW division and he would litterly have no competition but if he did....Fedor+Elbows=Dead people.
hippysmacker
2/26/07 5:23:02PM
I agree Fedor would be even more devastating with elbows, but the UFC has 4 of the top 10 HVY's by most people's definitions( Cro-cop, Sylvia, Arlovski, Werdum) Pride has 5 IMO but I don't think he wouldfight his brother. So he could only fight 4. He's already beat NOG twice and Hunt once. Barnett and him are saying they are buddies now and might not fight. Kharitanov doesn't seem worthy at the moment, so who's he going to fight? I'm not saying Fedor is on the way, this war of word's is just hyperbole by Dana and Jerry Millen. Still, if Fedor is going to have some new exciting matchups right now , it looks like the UFC would be the place to fight for him.
Northrend
2/26/07 5:25:50PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I agree Fedor would be even more devastating with elbows, but the UFC has 4 of the top 10 HVY's by most people's definitions( Cro-cop, Sylvia, Arlovski, Werdum) Pride has 5 IMO but I don't think he wouldfight his brother. So he could only fight 4. He's already beat NOG twice and Hunt once. Barnett and him are saying they are buddies now and might not fight. Kharitanov doesn't seem worthy at the moment, so who's he going to fight? I'm not saying Fedor is on the way, this war of word's is just hyperbole by Dana and Jerry Millen. Still, if Fedor is going to have some new exciting matchups right now , it looks like the UFC would be the place to fight for him.

Ah forgot Werdum left for UFC. I still think he could take all those guys with ease but at least they would be new opponents.
loller90278
2/26/07 5:44:26PM
i hate to say it, but fedor might MIGHT be the downfall of pride. many consider him unbeatable so thats why they're goin to ufc, see: crocop, werdum

its just a weird theory thats been playing out in my mind.. the domino effect.

hippysmacker
2/26/07 5:46:14PM

Posted by loller90278

i hate to say it, but fedor might MIGHT be the downfall of pride. many consider him unbeatable so thats why they're goin to ufc, see: crocop, werdum

its just a weird theory thats been playing out in my mind.. the domino effect.

That's an interesting idea, but I don't think Any of the top 10 , except for Alex, because they are brothers, would turn down a fight with Fedor.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/26/07 6:07:49PM
if Dana says "i'll have Fedor someday"

then he most likely already has him(spoken to him and his manager)

dont you think Fedor wants what Crocop has right now? 350K per fight!!!

Saying Fedor wont have competition in the UFC is bs. Crocop alone is enough competition not to mention everyother fighter hippy mentioned...

besides.....if Fedor dont come to the UFC how am i gonna take Hippy's money for when Chuck knocks him out?
Stickan
2/26/07 6:59:39PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Like when he said that Chuck would fight Wandy in August?
madmarck
2/26/07 7:07:24PM

Posted by Stickan

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Well................................... your right. But who would have thought that The UFC would get Lyoto and Rampage? We all knew the WFA was dead but i didnt think the UFC would get so many contracts. And remember they did get Cro Cop. Probably one of the harder fighters to deal with. Now thats a challenge. Its possible. With Dana you never know what he will pull out of his shoe (he doestn wear hats).

I think it is entirely possible that Dana could get Fedor in 2 years. And if things continue along the same trend i think he will. Hell we might even see Fedor vs Cro Cop 2 in the cage.
Stickan
2/26/07 7:19:55PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Stickan

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Well................................... your right. But who would have thought that The UFC would get Lyoto and Rampage? We all knew the WFA was dead but i didnt think the UFC would get so many contracts. And remember they did get Cro Cop. Probably one of the harder fighters to deal with. Now thats a challenge. Its possible. With Dana you never know what he will pull out of his shoe (he doestn wear hats).

I think it is entirely possible that Dana could get Fedor in 2 years. And if things continue along the same trend i think he will. Hell we might even see Fedor vs Cro Cop 2 in the cage.

I agree with you and I also think that there is a possibility that they'll get him one day but Dana is known for the hype-talk and I just think that you shouldn't listen too carefully at what he says until it sounds like it's a closed deal.
THE_AXE_MURDERER
2/26/07 7:37:55PM
Forum Code of Conduct

Blatant performer bashing (fighters, refs, etc) will not be tolerated. Stating your opinion in a factual, non-profane manner is acceptable. Example: "I don't really like [fighter name]", "I don't agree with the that [referee name] made", etc. Flaming/libel is not acceptable. Example: "[Fighter name] is an utter piece of crap", "F*** [fight promoter]! He/She is a walking turd!", etc.
hathcock32
2/26/07 8:05:29PM
Dana is right....Gomi over-hyped...Fedor has got many attracting fights it he goes to the UFC all the HW's chuck.....Fedor will go down in his next 5 fights(guaranteed)....who will it be....Im excitied to see see what Lindland can do with him
THE_AXE_MURDERER
2/26/07 8:15:30PM

Posted by hathcock32

Dana is right....Gomi over-hyped...Fedor has got many attracting fights it he goes to the UFC all the HW's chuck.....Fedor will go down in his next 5 fights(guaranteed)....who will it be....Im excitied to see see what Lindland can do with him

Gomi over-hyped i seriously hope your kidding.
Lay_N_Pray
2/26/07 8:25:25PM
Gomi was not over-hyped. He is still one of the best in the world in his weight class, but Nick Diaz was better in that fight and deserved to win. With that being said I think Gomi beats 7 out of 10 times.

As for Fedor, I think he would be very open to coming to UFC. He would have a lot of new faces and challenges ahead of him and attract some top fighters to the UFC.

His move to the UFC would also give a guy like Barnett or Nog the chance to win the belt, maybe even Hunt. Or if things got really crazy...Hendo could go for the Triple Crown.
Stickan
2/26/07 11:32:39PM
btw. Diaz was on a 3-fight win streak when he got "cut" because he "lost too often."
If I remember correctly UFC just didn't want to match what other companies were willing to pay for him. I wouldn't call that "cut". Diaz himself has stated before he got his contract with Pride that that's where he wants to fight.

Diaz is 6-4 in the UFC with all his losses coming by decision to really tough fighters.

UFC only keeps the best of the best.
Like Elvis Sinosic who's 1-5 in the UFC and 8-9-2 overall. This guy is fighting one of the up n coming stars of the UFC Michael Bisping at UFC 70.

Or their former champ Dave Menne who's 2-4.

Pride has guys like these too but Dana shouldn't be so quick to downplay Diaz´s skills and what he's done for the UFC. He's been in some amazing wars and all of his 4 losses have been highly competitive.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/26/07 11:40:58PM
""I'm pissed off he didn't lose to Chuck," White said. "They threw away the biggest fight in MMA history. Not only are they No. 2, they're not the brightest bulbs on the porch, either."

This is true, not only with the Silva fight,but with the Gomi fight.They Probably saw Nick Diaz's record and thought he was a total "can",but didnt realize that Diaz had the perfect style to upset Gomi in his fuckin USA debut!!
Bountytaker
2/27/07 1:12:27AM
I heard Dana has his pants specially made, just so his cajones can fit.....

The guys a character, that's for sure, and, IMO, absolutely GREAT for the sport.
Manfred
2/27/07 1:41:40AM
They mentioned Fedor's extension and I read somewhere it was for 4 fights. Plus the Bodog thing. That's 5, so it'll be at least a year and a half before he's available.

I know that PRIDEs HW division is deeper, but he's already fought everyone in PRIDE except Sergei and Barnett. After that, he might as well go to the UFC just for some fresh meat.

Thanks for the interview hippy. I was wondering if Dana saw the PRIDE show. He was in England, but I saw Joe Silva (UFC Matchmaker) in the crowd.
aceprone
2/27/07 3:42:20AM
The two organizations have been locked in a war of words lately, with PRIDE declaring its global dominance at its most recent show, a declaration Randy Couture took exception to.
"I was at the event and they took several shots at the UFC," Couture said. "I think if you have to tell everybody that you have the best fighters in the world, then you probably don't."

You can't go against Randy Couture, tells it like it is....haha...
Mayo
2/27/07 11:29:12AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Diaz was cut by us because he lost so many times and he just beat Gomi who everyone thought was unstoppable and the best guy in that weight division. Not only did Nick Diaz beat him, but BJ Penn destroyed him

Funny... Dana was also one of the people who thought Gomi was the best and wished he could get him into the UFC. Now he jumps the bandwagon because Gomi lost.
uhlsc
2/27/07 4:53:53PM
i remember a time when a whole lot of people on these forums were saying they'll (UFC) never get Cro Cop. well Money talks and bull$&#@ walks and we all know zuffa has the money for dana to throw around and the ability to make these claims happen
jocksmall
2/27/07 6:04:01PM
cant stand dana
modogg
2/27/07 9:35:02PM
i was disapointed to see Dana take a cheap shot at Diaz (Look at Nick Diaz… Diaz was cut by us because he lost so many times and he just beat Gomi who everyone thought was unstoppable and the best guy in that weight division. ), but oh well.

anyway, i think Fedor coming here is very possible based on Pride's status. The rumors were rampant weeks ago about Pride being sold to various sources, and though it seems that it was more of a publicizing motive, i have to think there was some truth to it. Fedor does like to branch out and enjoys the small contracts, i could see another organization lure him over like EliteXC and them try to discuss an inter-organziational thing with the UFC. i think this is a very likely path and it will be interesting to see if Dana works deals with other U.S. promotions for events like this. It seems like a smart move for an upcoming organization to get themselves noticed more and be able to bring something to the table that UFC would want.
Nacho
2/27/07 9:54:10PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

Gomi was not over-hyped. He is still one of the best in the world in his weight class, but Nick Diaz was better in that fight and deserved to win. With that being said I think Gomi beats 7 out of 10 times.

Ok- But Diaz is batting 1000 right now.