New Big John Interview

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » New Big John Interview
DCRage
1/28/08 7:20:37AM
"Big" John McCarthy was the guest last night on Gross Point Blank with Josh Gross on the Sherdog Radio Network. They spent probably 45 minutes of a 53-minute show talking to him, a lot of good stuff touched on going all the way back to the early UFC/MMA days and how influential he's been in the growth of the sport. What I found most interesting is near the end he talked a bit on reasons why he left UFC-the big one was money. He said he only was making $28-30K a year working the fights he did, and as an interesting related point, he also noted that Herb Dean only makes around $50K working all the events he does, so when he got the better offer from The Fight Network the money played a big part in his decision. Overall another solid episode of the show, it's probably only going to be on Sherdog.com for a week (I already have the podcast episode, listened on my way to work this morning) so listen while you have the chance. (The show normally airs Sundays at 10 PM ET on Sherdog.com)

http://www.sherdog.com/news/radio.asp?id=470
CrackerFace85
1/28/08 11:36:33AM
thats messed up the UFC wouldnt kick big jon more cake, just seeing him in the ring made the fight more exicting becuase of the LETS GET IT ON and he rarely stoped a fight early.....
THE_DRiZzLE
1/28/08 12:14:44PM

Posted by CrackerFace85

thats messed up the UFC wouldnt kick big jon more cake, just seeing him in the ring made the fight more exicting becuase of the LETS GET IT ON and he rarely stoped a fight early.....

yeah that's messed up imo.. you have to remember though, they don't have that kind of money..
scoozna
1/28/08 1:34:55PM
I didn't listen to the interview, but the refs are paid by the Athletic commissions I believe. So the ACs would be the ones determining the pay.
Bemin
1/28/08 9:09:53PM
The UFC stopped paying the refs when they got the sport sanctioned, now its the Athletic commissions that do it. I am guessing that Herb Dean made more than Big John simply because he reffed many more fights (Both UFC and other organizations).

I do know that the UFC threw Big John a big retirment party and gave him a nice gold watch to say thanks.
Leland
1/29/08 1:51:40PM
Wow thats sad. I made more than BJM lol. Seemed like he would get a goldmine being so popular and such an icon. really is a true shame. UFC should have paid him.
hippysmacker
1/29/08 2:39:39PM
I have to say I think the UFC made a bad business decision here. Big John is not only the best ref IMo, but he is also widely recognized. He lends to legitimacy to whatever he is connected to to me.
Lord_Lenny
1/29/08 5:53:26PM
no longer can someone say that the gracies hand-picked royce's opponents in the early UFC's
Manfred
1/29/08 6:03:54PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I have to say I think the UFC made a bad business decision here. Big John is not only the best ref IMo, but he is also widely recognized. He lends to legitimacy to whatever he is connected to to me.

Agreed. I remember reading once that although the commissions paid him, the UFC was kicking him like 80k/year for exclustivity. GUess that was BS