new.. help

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » new.. help
JClaspell
5/11/08 12:15:07AM
Hey im young (16) and havent actually began fighting but id like to get into the sport.
I just have a few questions..

1. I think i may not be the right size. i am about 6'2" and like 180. i just feel lanky. is there any fighting style that would put my size to advantage?

2. I feel as if i am pretty fit and strong from football.. I believe im pretty conditioned, and i can max squat 315 lbs.. my bench isnt that impressive though.. my max being a little bit over my body weight. is this anywhere near decent?

3. is there any at-home technique drills a can do?

thanks

Svartorm
5/11/08 1:43:33AM
Heres a thread about starting MMA

1. 6'2" is tall for your weight, expecially as your fighting weight could be as long as 170lbs. Theres an argument that different body types are better at different things, but I'm not too sure I believe that anymore. Lanky guys tend to clean up at BJJ and are natural kickboxers, but thats not to say that the only thing you should do. See what feels right and go from there.

2. Bench is over-rated for fighting, as you're more likely to use back muscles than chest muscles. I have no idea if thats a good squat for someone your size, but I wouldn't be too concerned with strength training right now. Its going to be years before you're ready to fight and your body will change dramatically in that time frame, so just work on getting a skill set for now and worry about weights later.

3. I'm of the opinion you should never train with videos until you've spent some time training with an actual instructor, as its too easy to iron in poor movement and structure when using videos. Videos can help you down the road with new ideas and/or techniques for your game, but you need a game before any of that matters.
Jackelope
5/11/08 3:17:07AM

Posted by Svartorm

Heres a thread about starting MMA

1. 6'2" is tall for your weight, expecially as your fighting weight could be as long as 170lbs. Theres an argument that different body types are better at different things, but I'm not too sure I believe that anymore. Lanky guys tend to clean up at BJJ and are natural kickboxers, but thats not to say that the only thing you should do. See what feels right and go from there.

2. Bench is over-rated for fighting, as you're more likely to use back muscles than chest muscles. I have no idea if thats a good squat for someone your size, but I wouldn't be too concerned with strength training right now. Its going to be years before you're ready to fight and your body will change dramatically in that time frame, so just work on getting a skill set for now and worry about weights later.

3. I'm of the opinion you should never train with videos until you've spent some time training with an actual instructor, as its too easy to iron in poor movement and structure when using videos. Videos can help you down the road with new ideas and/or techniques for your game, but you need a game before any of that matters.

Pretty much the exact response I left for you in the MMA Lounge in the original post. I think you'll find amongst the knowledgeable posters here that you shouldn't worry about what some people "might think" is the staple for what makes a good MMA fighter of a certain height and weight. The main things you should be worried about are whether you have the heart and the brain. Just get in there, start training, and go from there buddy. Good luck
JClaspell
5/11/08 11:57:51AM
thanks Jackelope and i completely understand
Jackelope
5/11/08 2:05:28PM

Posted by JClaspell

thanks Jackelope and i completely understand

No problem. I know the difficulties you're gonna face finding some good training. (especially living in Yuma) However, I would STRONGLY, STRONGLY suggest having some kind of formal training before you attempt to learn through videos. You can pick up some bad habits from teaching yourself (which is essentially what videos are going to force you to have to do in situations, not to mention take away training partners)

It appears that http://www.yumamma.org/ has a decent stable of fighters. Their records aren't bad, anyway. Looks like the classes are cheap, too. My suggestion would be to get involved in HS wrestling and then hook up with these dudes.
JClaspell
5/11/08 4:57:05PM

Posted by Jackelope

No problem. I know the difficulties you're gonna face finding some good training. (especially living in Yuma) However, I would STRONGLY, STRONGLY suggest having some kind of formal training before you attempt to learn through videos. You can pick up some bad habits from teaching yourself (which is essentially what videos are going to force you to have to do in situations, not to mention take away training partners)

It appears that http://www.yumamma.org/ has a decent stable of fighters. Their records aren't bad, anyway. Looks like the classes are cheap, too. My suggestion would be to get involved in HS wrestling and then hook up with these dudes.

Thanks.
Through friends i know of a good gym around here.
I was invited to attend classes there. I believe some are tought by a WEC fighter (Chance Farrar). Also i know a few friends who do BJJ and i will look into that
The-Don
5/14/08 7:04:31PM

Posted by JClaspell

Thanks.
Through friends i know of a good gym around here.
I was invited to attend classes there. I believe some are tought by a WEC fighter (Chance Farrar). Also i know a few friends who do BJJ and i will look into that

If he is a trainer there I would say that is a pretty good school myself.. and pay close attention to the advice given above. I been studying martial arts close to 25 years and I have gotten some great advice already from these guys as I am making my transission to MMA.