Nelson Talks about training Lesnar & Sherk!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Nelson Talks about training Lesnar & Sherk!
nwowolfpack
2/26/08 1:00:28AM
Greg Nelson talks about training Lesnar, Sherk, and the CSAC....

PDG: How do you think the fight with Frank went?
Greg: Personally I thought the fight went well. Obviously, I thought the stop by the referee was premature and I personally thought that Brock had won the fight. The way that Mazzigotti had stopped the fight and then he put Brock's hand up in the air. So I thought that the fight was over and if you had looked at Brock's expression he was a little confused and thought that he had won the fight. When the point was taken away I was thinking what the heck is going on, that had never happened in the history of the UFC. I have never seen a fight stopped and a point immediately taken away without warning. It is kind of sad actually. Before the fight Mazzigotti was in the dressing room and he explained to us that he would be watching for punches to the back of the head. So I asked him a straight question “What if the fighter is turning his head into the punches and gets hit in the back of the head?”. He told us that if the fighter turns his head into the punch that is a different situation.

If you watch the fight that is exactly what happened, he turned his head into the punches and got hit in the back of the head. So I thought it was kind of ridiculous. I got more irritated about the situation after the fight was over and we were back home. The UFC had given us a copy of the fight to watch and when I was going through the fight, I thought I heard Mazzigotti say something and I couldn't believe it when I backed it up and I heard Mazzigotti say “Did you get hit in the back of the head? Did you get hit in the back of the head? Frank said yes and that is when he stood up both fighters. But you know what? Brock doesn't make any excuses and that is the kind of guy he is. He told us he thought the fight was over when it was stopped and when it was restarted, he caught me and that's it, what can I say?

PDG: How surprised were you that Frank was able to catch him?
Greg: I was a little bit worried when Brock was standing over him while Frank was on his back. Then when Frank locked onto his knee I was yelling for him to get out. Brock jumped and took Frank with him about 3 feet across the cage. When the knee didn't come out then I knew he had a good hold on it. Mir is not the type of fighter to let go of all hold if he thinks it is a good one. Brock knew how to get out of that hold because we drilled that a lot. The bottom line is he turned too late and the hold was sunk too deep. He knows that he got a little anxious and he was kind of caught in limbo about should I still stand up or should I go down. He made the error and he knows it, so it's back to the drawing board and get ready for the next fight.

For the rest: GregNelson

Jackelope
2/26/08 1:37:39AM
The thoughts he gives on Sherk vs. roids is what I thought from the beginning. Sherk always came off as a health nut to me, so I still am clueless as to what happened there.
SmileR
2/26/08 9:30:04AM

Posted by Jackelope

The thoughts he gives on Sherk vs. roids is what I thought from the beginning. Sherk always came off as a health nut to me, so I still am clueless as to what happened there.

I said the same thing in a different thread.
Its true though in a real court it wouldn't have even made it to trial. People should give Sherk the benefit of the doubt.
imanidiot777
2/26/08 9:43:25AM
That makes me believe Sherk alot more even though I already was skeptical, I never like to believe someone was cheating.