The UFC needs to promote Hughes vs Koschek

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The UFC needs to promote Hughes vs Koschek
rob28yrs
2/22/08 11:43:39AM
Both were brutalized by GSP! I would go with Koschek just because he went the distance with GSP and Hughes never went the distance with GSP. Besides all that I belive it would be a great match to watch full of explosive takedowns and slams and some shakey standup!
drunkel
2/22/08 12:07:52PM
Koz would get the win in a 3 round snooze fest.
Hughes is on his way out and Koz on his way up.
I'm not a big fan of Koz but Koz would retire the Hughester.
Aaronno9
2/22/08 12:15:50PM
Really i think it just depends who gets the takedowns first. I dont think either of them work particularly well of their backs. Id have alot of trouble choosing this fight tbh. They both probably think their better than the other in every area, and i wouldnt be surprised if they tried to keep it standing, both thinking theyv got the superior stand up.
AchillesHeel
2/22/08 12:40:29PM
Hughes by 1st-round submission. If I had to guess, I'd say a kimura.

EDIT: I meant to type 3rd round, but whatev...
JWils
2/22/08 1:08:47PM

Posted by rob28yrs

Both were brutalized by GSP! I would go with Koschek just because he went the distance with GSP and Hughes never went the distance with GSP. Besides all that I belive it would be a great match to watch full of explosive takedowns and slams and some shakey standup!

If you remember, during the Kos/GSP fight, Kos saved himself from getted subbed by holding on to GSP's shorts.

Anyway, I'm with you, Kos vs. Hughes would be a great matchup. I'd take Hughes but 2nd round submission. If he gains top position, his kimura is nasty.
fullerene
2/22/08 1:40:53PM
That was a pretty gentle "brutalization" that GSP put on Koshek.

I don't think Hughes has that many more fights in him and I doubt he will be fighting up and comers like Kos, Sanchez and Fitch. The fights that make sense for hiim are a match with with Serra and maybe a rematch with Penn.
disturbed_fighter
2/22/08 1:52:20PM
i would really love to see 2 very strong wrestlers like hughes and koschek go at it. but u never know cuz it could end up like tito and rashad evans
disturbed_fighter
2/22/08 1:54:22PM
and hughes guard passing is"elite black belt level", quoting eddie bravo. so..... im giving that to hughes
RMFG_187
2/22/08 3:59:08PM
KOS has ZERO chance of winning. Matt has the superior wrestling, and BJJ. Stand up game is probably pretty tight, but cmon, Hughes has this in the bag.

Either
Hughes Unanimous Decision
or
Hugues 2nd Round KO/TKO (probably TKO)
babalu2720
2/22/08 4:16:29PM

Posted by rob28yrs

Ya Kos wasn't brutalized by GSP, was he controlled yes, but he did not take a lot of damage. I think Kos could use the Diego fight as a prototype to beat Hughes, I think Kos's standup is better than Matt's. Kos by UD
KYGUY07
2/22/08 4:39:55PM
I think KOS would wn this fight, he has better wrestling, and better stand up, KOS UD
sillysnail
2/22/08 5:02:47PM
i hope for the sake of the ufc that they never put this fight on. this could go down as one of the most boring fights of all time. if i gave this to anybody, assuming the judges didn't fall asleep or gouge their eyes out, id give it to hughes UD. hughes might be on his way out but i dont see much promise in kos.
DevonFoxy
2/22/08 5:08:00PM

Posted by RMFG_187

KOS has ZERO chance of winning. Matt has the superior wrestling, and BJJ. Stand up game is probably pretty tight, but cmon, Hughes has this in the bag.

Either
Hughes Unanimous Decision
or
Hugues 2nd Round KO/TKO (probably TKO)

Couldn't disagree more Hughes wrestling is not on par with Koschecks he also doesn't have great take down defense as shown in the GSP fight and think Kos could get him there fairly easy.

If Gsp couldn't submit Kos Hughes won't. The grabbing shorts would not help him avoid that Kimora as GSP was on top of Kos in the fight and just couldn't sink it in as much as he needed to.

Gsp did not beat Kos that badly. First round was close second and third wasn't.
Im a huge fan of both fighters but I think Koscheck wins this one by UD.
Pyrenus
2/22/08 5:53:20PM
I'd take Hughes by sub. He's got a lot of experience over Koscheck.
slick781
2/22/08 7:19:49PM
I agree with the guy who said Koz has zero chance of winning... his wrestling is better than Hughes'? Get outta here. Koz has less heart, less ground skills, and less stand up skills. Unbelievable that anyone picks Koz over Hughes.
NatedawgThaM
2/22/08 7:24:48PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Really i think it just depends who gets the takedowns first. I dont think either of them work particularly well of their backs. Id have alot of trouble choosing this fight tbh. They both probably think their better than the other in every area, and i wouldnt be surprised if they tried to keep it standing, both thinking theyv got the superior stand up.

Both, as of right now for Kos, are just wrestlers, nothing else. Matt Hughes is just strength and a good wrestler with good sub defense in guard. Same with Kos really even though his stand up is improving. It depends on who shoots first and gets the 1st takedown in each round. Kos barely wins on the feet with the little technique he's obtained at AKA, and i think he's a better wrestler as Hughes.

They should NOT promote this fight. If they really want Serra-Hughes to happen somewhere down the line, they won't make this fight. Hughes needs strikers up to that fight with Serra. Too risky IMO.

Kos via boring Decision.
BlazinSaddle
2/22/08 7:56:19PM
kos wins that fight easy but hughes wont even take this fight anyway, he could get another smudge on his record not as bad as gomi still holding the LW Pride belt (like he actually thinks he deserves it and dosnt come to the UFC or rematch diaz) but still hughes is retired because theres so much competition in the WW division these days, look for him to retire and write another book that makes him look even worse than his book makes him look now (butchering live baby pigs and throwing there entrails and testes and people as a joke!!!?!? sickening)
babalu2720
2/22/08 8:09:57PM

Posted by slick781

I agree with the guy who said Koz has zero chance of winning... his wrestling is better than Hughes'? Get outta here. Koz has less heart, less ground skills, and less stand up skills. Unbelievable that anyone picks Koz over Hughes.

Tell me how Hughes has better standup than Kos?
I have a DVD sitting on my shelf UFC 60 Hughes vs Gracie.
Matt did not land any strikes on the feet. HE WAS BEAT STANDING BY ROYCE GRACIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He even admiited it during the extras.
Yes the caps were necessary because Matt has shown little to no improvement in that area and as long as Kos keeps it on the feet which I think he can, he outboxes Matt.
Pookie
2/22/08 8:40:46PM

Posted by babalu2720

...HE WAS BEAT STANDING BY ROYCE GRACIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

IT'S FUN TO TYPE IN CAPS LOCK BECUASE WHEN YOU READ IT IT'S LIKE SCREAMING INSIDE A PERSON'S HEAD! POWER!!

WAT ATT!!!!
slick781
2/22/08 10:05:54PM

Posted by babalu2720

Posted by slick781

Tell me how Hughes has better standup than Kos?
I have a DVD sitting on my shelf UFC 60 Hughes vs Gracie.
Matt did not land any strikes on the feet. HE WAS BEAT STANDING BY ROYCE GRACIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He even admiited it during the extras.
Yes the caps were necessary because Matt has shown little to no improvement in that area and as long as Kos keeps it on the feet which I think he can, he outboxes Matt.

Yeah, I def am not saying either have good standup, I just think hughes' is better. I should have clarified that more, by saying Hughes' striking, in general, is better than Kos.
whardin19
2/24/08 4:47:04PM
Wow, I really never thought of this matchup! This would be a good one to watch. I would go with Hughes in this one. There's no way Koscheck is even in the same league of striking as GSP is. So he would rock Hughes like GSP did. Because in all honesty Hughes lost all his composure after he got punched in the face that much.