i think the ufc needs to add another weight class!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » i think the ufc needs to add another weight class!!
Next Page »
prozacnation1978
7/25/09 11:46:52PM
i was first against this but it needs to happen

i think 195 weight class would be perfect, with so many fighters and contenders in middle and light heavy 195 would be perfect

you could have franklin, wanderli, bisping, evans, irvin, goueveia, hendo, okami to name a few hell even chuck if he trims to baby fat

i just think with over 170 fighters under them and growing, besides that keeps the main events going as title fights instead of going one or 2 in a row with out one.

Drudinh
7/25/09 11:53:43PM
I'm gonna have to disagree on this one. I like the idea of leaving it a catchweight because it forces fighters to make that weight and not have a spread or weight advantage.
mentalcase
7/26/09 1:44:03AM
more weight classes mean less potential match ups, the weight classes are fine the way they are
kopower
7/26/09 2:13:38AM

Posted by Drudinh

I'm gonna have to disagree on this one. I like the idea of leaving it a catchweight because it forces fighters to make that weight and not have a spread or weight advantage.

Yup, stay with the catch weight for special match ups. I like the weight classes where they are now
Styles
7/26/09 4:15:27AM
I agree that UFC should bring ni another division, but I disagree with teh 195 division. I think they should have a 145 division though are start recruitting and hyping like crazy. WEC just doesn't cut it for these guys, let the WECbe the gatekeeper between the UFC and the bush leagues. There are plenty of 145'ers to recruit... great ones at that. Brown, Faber, Kid, garcia, pulver, curran Aldo, Torres could step up like he has been talking about as well as Bowles just to name a few real quick that Zuffa already has.

The WEC fighters aren't being hyped enough nor being paid enough, plus this could help out when UFC decides to do a TUF in Mexico. Its a long shot but has plenty of potential and makings for a crazy exciting weightclass fi this guys had more to fight for then a 10k max pay-out
hippysmacker
7/26/09 5:08:53AM
after reflection, I think adding a class is a bad idea , but I would adjust the wieghts . I think they should change the heavier weight classes and , leave the rest the way they are.

I would make

heavyweight 216-265
Light heavy 215 max
Middlweight 195 max
welterweight 175 max

light weight stay 155
feather stay 145
bantam stay 135
State_Champ
7/26/09 8:52:48AM
what about a weight class to divide the HW division? It seems that some guys might be too small to fight a 285 lbs. guy (fairly) and too big to make the LHW class.
I don't know though, because as stated before on this forum, more weight classes does mean fewer potential match-ups.
tmas
7/26/09 9:21:07AM
HW should be 216-235 or 240,
SHW 236 or 241- 50000lbs.
hippysmacker
7/26/09 9:22:13AM

Posted by State_Champ

what about a weight class to divide the HW division? It seems that some guys might be too small to fight a 285 lbs. guy (fairly) and too big to make the LHW class.
I don't know though, because as stated before on this forum, more weight classes does mean fewer potential match-ups.

i think my suggestion covers that. You could have 245 pound fighters making 215 IMO.
Rabi
7/26/09 10:48:17AM
The only change I would liketoseewith regards to weight classwith in the UFC was the same as styles said.

Add a 145 division and maybe a 135 division as well.
Rush
7/26/09 12:58:34PM
I don't like the idea mainly because more weight divisions means more fighters, which means most of the fighters will fight less each year. I don't think it will create fewer match ups, but rather fewer times a particular fighter will fight in a year. That is, unless of course the increase the number of events.
hippysmacker
7/26/09 1:07:26PM
Also I think having to many weight classes was one of the things that has caused boxing to decline.
telnights
7/26/09 1:16:56PM
The weight classes are fine right now. When you add more classes it limits the other classes. Maybe a few years down the road but right now I think it would just hurt the sport. HW is also fine right now and shouldn't be touched. The guys that are to small for HW can easily cut down to 205 but chose not to. This wasn't even an issue till Brock came to MMA and now everyone is talking about changing the HW weight class. Brock is just a freak and doesn't fit the norm of people at all. Plus by changing the HW weight class you limit a number of HWs out there. It isn't like these guys are a dime a dozen. Top level HWs are rare and changing things around does nothing but limit the weight class even more.
bojangalz
7/26/09 1:25:27PM

Posted by telnights

The weight classes are fine right now. When you add more classes it limits the other classes. Maybe a few years down the road but right now I think it would just hurt the sport. HW is also fine right now and shouldn't be touched. The guys that are to small for HW can easily cut down to 205 but chose not to. This wasn't even an issue till Brock came to MMA and now everyone is talking about changing the HW weight class. Brock is just a freak and doesn't fit the norm of people at all. Plus by changing the HW weight class you limit a number of HWs out there. It isn't like these guys are a dime a dozen. Top level HWs are rare and changing things around does nothing but limit the weight class even more.

My thoughts exactly. IF (big if) there was to ever be an additional weight class I think 235 would be best. This about it this way. From 135 to 155 there are 10 pounds between divisions. From 155-185 there are 15 pounds seperating divisions. From 185-205 there is 20 pounds. But then it takes a full 60 pounds jump to 265 for heavyweight.

So I think the logical place for a new division is by simply splitting the difference between 205-265. That simply can't happen right now because the HW division is too shallow to sustain an additional division. If all the HW's in the world were all fighting under the same promotion, then maybe. But as the sports landscape is today, it's simply not ready to happen.

I also think that fighters like Brock are so few and far between because until now most athletes his size have either gone into professional wrestling entertainment or football. But now that there is enough interest in MMA to sustain a professional career and make a living we're bound to see an influx of fighters his size in the future. So there will definitely come a time for the additional weight class, unfortunately for guys like Cain Velazques... It won't be anytime soon.
sclasclemski
7/26/09 3:04:48PM

sorry I've been wanting to do that...
I like Hippysmackers weight classes though that immediately opens up debat to have a 165 division I still think adding a 230-240 division makes sense but only in the future when the HW division is a little more populated with quality talent...
Styles
7/26/09 4:19:05PM

Posted by hippysmacker

after reflection, I think adding a class is a bad idea , but I would adjust the wieghts . I think they should change the heavier weight classes and , leave the rest the way they are.

I would make

heavyweight 216-265
Light heavy 215 max
Middlweight 195 max
welterweight 175 max

light weight stay 155
feather stay 145
bantam stay 135

Its harder for the smaller guys to cut much weight. The problem I see here is the 20lbs difference between LW and WW. It needs to be a 15lb max difference. Now lets say you do something like this

LW 155
WW 170
MW 190
LHW 210
HW 211-250
SHW 251+

I think it gets alittle more interesting as to who goes where. You cant ahve a 10lb gap between 155 and 175 though, unless you throw in a 165lb class... it leaves to many great fighters out of their element adn it is not easy for a LW to cut 15lbs for a fight, let alone 20lbs. And you konw natural 175 guys are going to fight at WW with 190lb guys cutting down.
prozacnation1978
7/26/09 8:33:23PM
i don't want it like boxing at all just one more class for measures
Drudinh
7/27/09 1:56:34AM

Posted by sclasclemski

sorry I've been wanting to do that...
I like Hippysmackers weight classes though that immediately opens up debat to have a 165 division I still think adding a 230-240 division makes sense but only in the future when the HW division is a little more populated with quality talent...

The reason why I restrained from mentioning it in my original post
phoenix-mma
7/27/09 11:55:21PM
People didn't think this until Brock came in. The guy was a 7 time WWE champion following a championship NCAA career, believe me, he is one of a kind and there is no need to alter the heavyweight class because nobody will ever beat him anyways. Not until Lashley gets some more experience, he might have a chance. But guys like Randy Couture and the other phonies, even Fedor, not a chance. Maybe they should just have Brock retire right now as the forever champion.. they might as well.
cowcatcher
7/27/09 11:59:19PM
we have a nominee for the worst 1st post ever
cmill21
7/28/09 12:05:43AM

Posted by phoenix-mma

People didn't think this until Brock came in. The guy was a 7 time WWE champion following a championship NCAA career, believe me, he is one of a kind and there is no need to alter the heavyweight class because nobody will ever beat him anyways. Not until Lashley gets some more experience, he might have a chance. But guys like Randy Couture and the other phonies, even Fedor, not a chance. Maybe they should just have Brock retire right now as the forever champion.. they might as well.

Odd...I think you might acctually be serious lol.
Jackelope
7/28/09 12:24:48AM
Been saying since long before Brock was ever a part of the UFC that there needs to be another weight class between LHW and HW. Cruiser weight at 235 IMO.

Right now the talent pool isn't deep enough, but mark my words it will happen as more and more super freaks like Brock Lesnar come in. They will have to in order to make it competitive. Look for it to happen within 10 years from now, but definitely not soon.
cowcatcher
7/28/09 12:42:26AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by phoenix-mma

Odd...I think you might acctually be serious lol.

i like that his WWE titles add to his mma resume
Drudinh
7/29/09 1:28:26AM
R u kidding me. People have been saying it forever. It just hasn't been adressed as much as an issue til brock came in.
SociopathX
7/29/09 9:23:58PM
i don't think they should add a weight class...just because it would water down the divisions.

They could try to adjust a little.... say

LW - 160
WW - 175
MW - 190
LHW - 205
HW - 225 - 255

sclasclemski
7/30/09 7:46:20AM
why lower the HW top limit...you must really be a brock hater
prozacnation1978
8/1/09 12:52:02AM
195 weight class cruiser weight is getting closer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
theKirK
8/1/09 8:54:43AM
i think ur all over complicating everything. there rly needs to b a super heavyweight class tho. I agree with most experts that say there needs to be a cut of for HW at 206-235 and SHW should be 236-265. really this would re-establish the dying HW division imo. might have a struggling SHW at first untill we find proper opponent in that class for a champ the size of brock. but even the SHW class is building and at least u wont c brock just throwing ppl round. At the least ppl will not have to choose between cutting 30 lbs or facing sum1 that is 30-40 lbs over their weight.

Leave the other weight classes alone. these no reason to have a belt for every 5 lbs. and leave 135 and 145 in WEC theres a good reason they r there bcuz they are great weight classes for TV.
deezyo
8/2/09 12:17:55AM
i dont think so, just fine how it is
adamal
8/2/09 7:11:47PM
I think that the only weight class under the unified rules that Zuffa doesn't use is Super Heavyweight. (the 5 UFC divisions and fly, bantam, and feather being used in WEC)

I see the merit in adjusting weights, however just to come at it from a different perspective... MMA is trying like hell to become a mainstream sport, and as such needs some sort of continuity. I think it is not in the UFC's best interest to change weights because
A) that would go against the aforementioned Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts, and to go against said rule set could hurt chances for regulation in new states ie New York

B) many UFC fans are fairly new to the sport and changing up what they know could be a turn off to a casual/new fan

as an addendum, I do not think the UFC should institute a SHW division, big unathletic guys beating on each other is the last image the UFC needs to put out there.
Pages: [1] 2