Apparently, Nebraska Is Still In The Building.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Apparently, Nebraska Is Still In The Building.
gsquat
4/7/08 10:28:19AM
So after Houston Alexander proved he wasn't a true MMA fighter and merely a brawler for the second consecutive time, he claimed, to all of the Colorado fans, that Nebraska was still in the building. How he though this, combined with his record tying knockout loss, would result in cheers or fan sustenance, is beyond me.

So, question number one: Why did he say that and wtf did it mean?

Question two: Did this fight shake all the nut-huggers loose?

Question three: Is Houston in a, "Lose one more and you're out" position?
Diamondback2
4/7/08 11:00:31AM
1. uh it just means he's representing nebraska. but you're supposed to only say something like that if u win. unless it was a real good close fight. which that was not.

2. no. i have no love for the guy, but if he can work on his chin and improve that he might stand a chance. i believe he can throw with the best due to his "unique" style. he's the only brawler i've seen that incorporates standing knee strikes into his madness. the problem is he can swing with them, he's just can't take them in return.

shame so much potential to be a HUGE star and he has such a glaring weakness.

3. if he loses like that again yes. he has alot of hype so he will still make the main card i'm sure his next fight. lose again big, hes out. lose a good match, maybe he will get one more chance in the undercard. hes lucky hes got such fan hype, or he'd be gone already.
tberg420
4/7/08 11:57:08AM
I hated Alexander until I met him at UFC 77. He was extremely appreciative about having fans and knows that he is getting older and his time inside the Octagon is running out. It's crazy for you to question him being an MMA fighter when he's got the guts to step inside the cage and fight and I highly doubt that you would say that to his face. I think that Houston needs to step down to the 185lbs division and he could get some great match ups for himself. I do question the logic of this thread when you did pick Alexander to win by 1st Round KO/TKO but then again you haven't scored over 56 on an event before. Maybe we should question you as an MMA fan.
NatedawgThaM
4/7/08 11:58:19AM
1. He was just representing where he comes from. I respect that since nobody really does that anymore.

2. NEVER! If people are still riding the James Thompson War Wagon, then I'm going to be riding the Houston one! It was just a perfectly placed punch and would have dropped anybody IMO.

3. I think he is in that position though. But I think he'll be getting a bum or somebody making their UFC debut next. If he loses, then he's definitely out but hopefully he goes to the WEC because he could rule that WEC LHW division since there all just brawlers anyway! But I think he'll destroy his next opponent!

But Houston could be extremely dangerous if he learned the jab. It was just moronic he's just bum rush in with his chin up and his hands down. That's going to happen everytime as long has he keeps his hands down and his chin up. But a jab would work wonders for him. Because a jab would be in his opponents face to distract them while he grabs them in the dirty boxing clinch and finishes them! He needs to set up the clinch not force it because fighters will do the same thing Irvin did.

But I'll never lose the faith! Houston will be in the top 10 one of these days!!!
gsquat
4/7/08 12:25:14PM
For those of you who didn't know I was just joking about the "Nebraska in th building" thing. It just seemed really stupid to say.

Its just that I kinda joined the bandwagon and bought into his hype after his first two fights. Then the UFC decides to give him some better competition against some true MMA fighters and he's been destroyed both on the ground and immediately in the standup. I think he really needs to grow as a MMA fighter and REALLY needs to learn a little patience. If he loses his next fight he's out of the UFC IMO.
tberg420
4/7/08 1:37:39PM

Posted by gsquat

For those of you who didn't know I was just joking about the "Nebraska in th building" thing. It just seemed really stupid to say.

Its just that I kinda joined the bandwagon and bought into his hype after his first two fights. Then the UFC decides to give him some better competition against some true MMA fighters and he's been destroyed both on the ground and immediately in the standup. I think he really needs to grow as a MMA fighter and REALLY needs to learn a little patience. If he loses his next fight he's out of the UFC IMO.

By your own definition...how is James Irvin more of an true MMA fighter than Houston Alexander? They both are strikers and don't have much in the ways of ground games.
gsquat
4/7/08 1:57:07PM

Posted by tberg420

By your own definition...how is James Irvin more of an true MMA fighter than Houston Alexander? They both are strikers and don't have much in the ways of ground games.

Well, there is no question James Irvin is a more proven fighter not only in the UFC but MMA in general. Sorry, but I think after four fights in the UFC we're seeing who Houston Alexander really is. And apparently so are the other fighters (T. Silva, Irvin). He's sometimes fun to watch, but as he is now, he wont cut it, especially in the LHW division.
tberg420
4/7/08 2:50:26PM
Exactly why I said that he should move to the 185lbs division. You still haven't shown me that James Irvin is by your definition more of a true MMA fighter than Alexander.
Lay_N_Pray
4/7/08 3:42:34PM
If Alexander and Irvin fight 10 times...I think Alexander takes it 6 maybe 7 times.

They're fairly evenly matched but Alexander tends to be much more explosive and that either results in a brutal pounding for his opponent or a brutal pounding on himself.

Alexander is a nice story and fun to watch. I hope he stays a while longer, maybe go down to 185 and bang with Leben or Cote. It would be fun to watch and some fighters that's all you can ask for. I have said it before, they wont all be champions.
prozacnation1978
4/7/08 7:18:35PM
alexander has a fan base, they won't cut him lose yet, i think if he loses again he will be off the main cards, i admit i jumped on the bang wagon of his, now i have to admit that he was just too much hype likt tim boetsch who i knew would lose to hamill, now seeing those two fight would make since alexander vs boestch
telnights
4/7/08 7:40:00PM

Posted by gsquat

So Keith Jardine isn't a true MMA fighter?
Houston Alexander isn't a bad fighter just has some things he needs to work on but so does James Irvin and a lot of other fighters. Houston is fun to watch and can be a dangerous fight for any one at 205.
Kracker_Jap
4/7/08 7:50:13PM

Posted by gsquat

So after Houston Alexander proved he wasn't a true MMA fighter and merely a brawler for the second consecutive time, he claimed, to all of the Colorado fans, that Nebraska was still in the building. How he though this, combined with his record tying knockout loss, would result in cheers or fan sustenance, is beyond me.

So, question number one: Why did he say that and wtf did it mean?

Question three: Is Houston in a, "Lose one more and you're out" position?

1 you say dumb stuff when you have just been KO'd

2 I say aboout 50%

3 Yes
NatedawgThaM
4/7/08 8:10:54PM
Whoah what's all this about Houston moving to 185? This man has an absolute beastly physique, maybe about 1-2% fat left. I don't think he could even make it to 195, nevertheless 185. He'd literally kill himself dropping that much weight. If you thought he had bad cardio now, he'd probably collapse and maybe die after a fight at 185.
WhiteWidow
4/7/08 8:20:03PM
1) thats a dumb question

2) probably most of them

3) maybe, if he loses a close decision he probably gets one more shot but if he wins in devistating fashion he stays for a little longer

personally i didnt pick him to beat jardine but after that fight i picked him to beat sakara, however when i saw his opponent was thiago silva i was saying to myself if houston goes in for the clinch his in deep trouble and he did just that, he didnt have a good gameplan like how i saw it playing out, thiago dominating on the ground and GnP him out, however his fight with irvin was intriguing i thought houston was going to KO him in the first but i thought that irvin had a strange and sloppy standup to catch him and sure enough it ended in 8 secs.

i think they give him a lower tier LH or a B level LH for his next fight at 88 or 89
xposipx
4/7/08 8:27:34PM
They're just saying that because the man in your avatar dwarfed him, NatedawgThaM .
gravy13
4/7/08 9:53:50PM

Posted by gsquat

I don't know the answer to this, but I laughed so hard after reading it.
jgtribbett
4/7/08 10:00:47PM

Posted by tberg420

I hated Alexander until I met him at UFC 77. He was extremely appreciative about having fans and knows that he is getting older and his time inside the Octagon is running out. It's crazy for you to question him being an MMA fighter when he's got the guts to step inside the cage and fight and I highly doubt that you would say that to his face. I think that Houston needs to step down to the 185lbs division and he could get some great match ups for himself. I do question the logic of this thread when you did pick Alexander to win by 1st Round KO/TKO but then again you haven't scored over 56 on an event before. Maybe we should question you as an MMA fan.

i've got no more than 57 points in an event before ... and i picked him to win as well..the difference is that i've been in a cage... I still think he's an MMA fighter.. (lacking on the ground for that level of competition) but still a fighter for sure. I've been watching MMA since 95 just noT ufc from 2000 - untile they bought pride last year. so no.. some of us dont know every little thing about ufc.. and no the dumbass who made this thread should close his mouth for a while. and **** you for questioning ppls MMA "fanship"based on this website"...but!!!!! BUT BUT BUT BUT

THAT SHIT WAS HILARIOUS.