NCAA/Adidas to Produce & Sell Kevin Ware Shirts

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » NCAA/Adidas to Produce & Sell Kevin Ware Shirts
POLL: Should college athletes be paid?
Yes, all of them should be paid 47% (7)
Only star players who generate $$ should be paid 0% (0)
No student athletes should be paid 53% (8)
jakewalters
4/3/13 9:24:03PM
Wanted to bring this story up just to open up the discussion about paying student athletes. How do you guys see the matter?

Adidas and Louisville have already come together to make these warmups, which is one thing

But this shirt will be sold and profit will be made off of it. Profit going to the school, NCAA, and Adidas of course; because Ware and other students are not eligible to be paid

I think it's obvious this is unethical... but should the rules change to pay athletes soon?
jakewalters
4/3/13 9:24:57PM
Also, what do you think of these shirts to sell?

george112
4/3/13 10:15:43PM
Dont like the break a leg one.

Thats fucked up
kopower
4/3/13 10:30:24PM
If this would have happened in the regular season, not as much fuss would have come of it. The injury was terrible, and I hope Mr. Ware fully recovers, but this is getting out of hand. There are much better causes out there to spend money on, especially if Ware isn't going to see a dime of it.
Kpro
4/4/13 2:23:55AM
Any athlete or team generating that much attention should be paid..... period.
40ouncetofreedom
4/4/13 8:15:47AM
If you don't believe that the majority of top level collegiate athletes aren't getting paid or compensated right now then you're mistaken IMO.

Some of these guys get money when they turn pro and end up blowing their money and careers. These players are still 18-22 years old...If i was an 18 year old millionaire i'd be careless and high on myself. I don't think they should be paid, I think they should be treated just as any other student attending for an education, You never plan for when a freak accident like this one can happen and you can't play sports anymore. So you should focus on your education as well.

But on the flip-side it's also messed up for companies to sell jerseys with the kids numbers or names on them and not pay them.

It's a two edged sword regardless, I can make a case from both sides.
airkerma
4/4/13 8:46:47AM
There is absolutely no reason for student athletes to be paid a dime.
emfleek
4/4/13 9:48:46AM

Posted by airkerma

Answer this...

Why not?
airkerma
4/4/13 10:41:40AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by airkerma

Answer this...

Why not?

They are students playing for an academic institution, not a professional organization; they are students, not professionals. They are more than welcome to take advantage of grants/scholarships...just like everyone else. More than likely they are already receiving a free ride to attend a college, which amounts to quite a bit of money, allowing them to compete in the first place. A student will not earn a living wage by doing research (undergrad) or by getting good grades. The department and their professors will benefit from the fruits of their labor, whether it be research related or prestige related.

What these athletes are doing, much like the student who spends late nights in the lab/lib in order to excel in their field, is building a resume for when they leave college. If they want to get paid, they can try their hands at the free market.

As soon as colleges start giving athletes money while taking from the actual students, they are basically stating "hey we don't actually give a damn about education and academic development despite that being the purpose of college in the first place". Whether or not the school makes money from a sports team does alter the fact that first and foremost, it is a school, not a sports team.
40ouncetofreedom
4/4/13 10:42:15AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by airkerma

Answer this...

Why not?

My guess, If you're athletically gifted and got a free ride scholarship you're set. How is that fair to another student who has to work part time to help pay tuition and get an education to go slave for a company after graduating while athlete superstar guy got a free ride in and is now getting paid because he's profitable to the school because of a talent and really nothing more and will go on to more money in a pro league. However, schools should also not hooker out their athletes for a profit as well.Like i said above i see it from both sides.
jakewalters
4/4/13 12:13:27PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by emfleek

Posted by airkerma

Answer this...

Why not?

They are students playing for an academic institution, not a professional organization; they are students, not professionals. They are more than welcome to take advantage of grants/scholarships...just like everyone else. More than likely they are already receiving a free ride to attend a college, which amounts to quite a bit of money, allowing them to compete in the first place. A student will not earn a living wage by doing research (undergrad) or by getting good grades. The department and their professors will benefit from the fruits of their labor, whether it be research related or prestige related.

What these athletes are doing, much like the student who spends late nights in the lab/lib in order to excel in their field, is building a resume for when they leave college. If they want to get paid, they can try their hands at the free market.

As soon as colleges start giving athletes money while taking from the actual students, they are basically stating "hey we don't actually give a damn about education and academic development despite that being the purpose of college in the first place". Whether or not the school makes money from a sports team does alter the fact that first and foremost, it is a school, not a sports team.

This is an extremely salient point, and I agree with it just about 100%.

BUT..... something just seems off to me when college athletics (especially football & basketball) are BEHEMOUTH industries that bring in insane amounts of cash. The fact that not only is this money being made, but you have shirts like this being printed up where your making a direct profit off a single players likeness (also see all the #15 jerseys UF peddled from the Tebow era to now). I just think certain players should see some of that money. I do understand the trickiness of that though, and why the NCAA is so vigilant to avoid fuckery.
Svartorm
4/4/13 12:51:41PM
If you guys know folks that have been involved in high-level football and basketball, they do get paid. In fact, we have a forum member who shall remain nameless who was offered a car and an apartment for HIGH SCHOOL sports if he chose to move to another town. Don't think for a second these guys are struggling.

I completely agree that they shouldn't be paid, as folks that work just as hard towards being doctors, paralegal, etc won't be while in school. Scholarship is enough, and that money generated by sports merch goes towards bringing in more people who will actually make a difference in the world. I'm cool with dude breaking his leg, school making shirts, and then giving a few dozen future doctors a free pass to school.