NBC Sports UFC Power Rankings

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » NBC Sports UFC Power Rankings
pv3Hpv3p
3/28/07 1:21:47PM
NBC's UFC Power Rankings

I thought I'd post this on here to see what ya'all thought...

We all know ranking systems are imperfect, but these don't look too bad...

My personal opinion:

GSP should be #1 p4p (CC and Chuck tie)

HVY's look pretty good, but I don't think that Vera deserves to be above AA yet

LHW's are a little screwed up... I don't get how Evans is at two... Should be Rampage, Tito, Evans, Jardine

MW's and WW's look pretty good

LW's are a little screwed up... I don't know how they can have Guillard w/o Stevenson, and I don't know if Fisher shoudl be up there...

What do ya'all think???
Rush
3/28/07 1:29:23PM
I wouldn't put too much stock into what the NBC thinks. Like other sports channels, they are just jumping on the MMA bandwagon.
pv3Hpv3p
3/28/07 1:36:51PM

Posted by Rush

I wouldn't put too much stock into what the NBC thinks. Like other sports channels, they are just jumping on the MMA bandwagon.

i don't put too much stock in it... Just like any other set of rankings they are all opinion based...

But you have to admit that it's a good sign that NBC would even start putting up rankings for what was not so distantly known as 'human cock fighting'
AchillesHeel
3/28/07 1:41:23PM
Like a lot of these rankings, it seems to waver unpredictably between evaluating a fighter's skills and rewarding him for his record.

Their 205-lb rankings are totally cracked. They're clearly in love with Rashad, and give him lots of "points" for his development and promise. I like him as much as the next guy, but ranking him 2nd in the UFC is madness.
DavidLee
3/28/07 6:08:33PM
How is Rashad ranked #2. That is way wrong.
pv3Hpv3p
3/28/07 6:15:26PM

Posted by DavidLee

ya you're telling me...

Now I'll pose the question...

If he beats Tito decisivley, would he then warrant the #2 ranking?
cowcatcher
3/28/07 6:18:37PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by DavidLee

ya you're telling me...

i think so, but thats if chuck doesnt lose to rampage which makes rampage 1 and chuck 2. undefeated with a win over tito is enough to be #2 when silva, rua, hendo, lil nog, arona, etc etc arent there
nubby
3/28/07 6:20:48PM
I'm sorry, but we all know that even if Rashad can beat Tito there is no friggin way he is getting past Jackson.
tomp6581
3/29/07 7:22:51AM
I think deep down even Evans would be embarrased if he saw that he was "ranked" higher than Jackson and Tito.
madmarck
3/29/07 8:38:36AM
why do they call a lot of rankings "power rankings"? It doesnt make any sense. When i used to swim they would rank the top 100 swimmers in the country per event. And they called it power rankings.

It has nothing to do with power in either case.
pv3Hpv3p
4/2/07 2:49:23PM

Posted by madmarck

why do they call a lot of rankings "power rankings"? It doesnt make any sense. When i used to swim they would rank the top 100 swimmers in the country per event. And they called it power rankings.

It has nothing to do with power in either case.

I think that it's got to do with NBC... They do the same thing for football... I don't think that it has as much to do with 'power' literally as it does some formula they use for picking who goes where... Don't quote me on this, but that's the impression I got...
pv3Hpv3p
4/2/07 2:51:59PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by DavidLee

ya you're telling me...

i think so, but thats if chuck doesnt lose to rampage which makes rampage 1 and chuck 2. undefeated with a win over tito is enough to be #2 when silva, rua, hendo, lil nog, arona, etc etc arent there

Now since Chuck would've have lost two to Jackson, would that warrant an immediate rematch?

It's kind of a sticky situation, but I think if Chuck lost the belt he would move up, fight some at HW... Keep fighting if he had success, and retire if he didn't as one of the best 205lber's that ever fought.
AchillesHeel
4/2/07 2:58:23PM
I've seen the term all over the place, not just NBC. I don't know where it came from, originally, but I usually see "power rankings" used to reflect something other than the sport's or league's Win-Loss standings.

For instance, Baseball Weekly used to publish "power rankings" that were only loosely correlated with the MLB standings. The reason was because they would publish power rankings several times per season, and the power rankings reflected things other than the team's record. The rankings were a more subjective evaluation of the teams, were more reflective of the team's recent performance (whereas their W-L record is for the entire season), and even reflected things other than in-game results, such as injuries to key players or what the team had done on the trade market.

Power rankings are especially useful in something like MMA or college football where the teams or athletes in different organizations or conferences don't compete against each other directly. The "Top 10" lists on this site are a form of power ranking.
DoTheMMAth
4/3/07 12:35:27PM
Don't exactly agree with the rankings... but it's good to see big-name mainstream sports outlets covering MMA!