NBA Draft

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » NBA Draft
Next Page »
ChrisSabal
6/28/12 6:15:40PM
Hope all fans of NBA will be watching tonight. One of the deepest drafts ever which should mean a shit ton of trades
cowcatcher
6/28/12 6:27:58PM
The one day a year that the Bucks can fuck up without actually being on the court.
Budgellism
6/28/12 6:29:19PM
I'll be watching

I don't know when it starts though. I'm assuming in half an hour?
prophecy033
6/28/12 6:36:28PM

Posted by cowcatcher

The one day a year that the Bucks can fuck up without actually being on the court.

I'll be listening in my work truck since everything starts early on the west coast
Shawn91111
6/28/12 7:18:11PM
Not sure who I want the Pistons to take..if Barnes falls that far then obviously him but more help for Monroe so im sure they will take Henson. Im ok with that.

Not sure what the hell Dumars was doing giving away a 1st round pick and Ben Gordon. Gordon gone is fine but you dont trade 1st round picks especially when you're rebuilding.
Kpro
6/28/12 7:25:19PM
I just know that whoever the Bobcats take won't pan out as they expect.

EDIT: Ok, it was pick 2, I guess they couldn't really mess this one up unless the injury bug hits just to keep trends alive.
Budgellism
6/28/12 9:16:31PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Dalembert is a pretty solid pick up considering what you traded for him.
Kpro
6/28/12 9:22:19PM
I was at the rally 2 weeks ago in Seattle that drew over 6,000 fans on one days notice. Unheard of numbers for a short notice rally and we have billionaires who have already bought up an entire district near the Seahawks/Mariners stadiums a few minutes from me and have also said they'd pay out of their own pocket to build the new arena allowing the state to pay for their portion on concession/etc sales after the fact. Unheard of again for it to be private land fully paid for by the private owners without even trying to hack taxpayers like lumber. It pays to have so many Microsoft billionaires in WA. The question is, whose team are we going to take in the next few years, and after the Thunder debacle I already feel bad for whatever city it is (Sorry Sacramento).
prophecy033
6/28/12 10:42:42PM

Posted by Kpro

I was at the rally 2 weeks ago in Seattle that drew over 6,000 fans on one days notice. Unheard of numbers for a short notice rally and we have billionaires who have already bought up an entire district near the Seahawks/Mariners stadiums a few minutes from me and have also said they'd pay out of their own pocket to build the new arena allowing the state to pay for their portion on concession/etc sales after the fact. Unheard of again for it to be private land fully paid for by the private owners without even trying to hack taxpayers like lumber. It pays to have so many Microsoft billionaires in WA. The question is, whose team are we going to take in the next few years, and after the Thunder debacle I already feel bad for whatever city it is (Sorry Sacramento).

I REALLY hope Seattle gets another team. We need that I-5 rivalry back alive and kicking
prophecy033
6/28/12 10:50:16PM
Portland took Damian Lillard (PG Weber State) with the 6th and Meyers Leonard (C Illinois) 11th. We needed a point that could run this team and score on a nightly basis. Lillard, IMO, was the best PG in this draft so that was a good pick. Leonard was also a good pickup although Zeller was also available. The worked out together for Portland and it looked like Leonard had a better workout then Zeller. Both positions were a need for us

Local Talent (Jefferson H.S. Portland) Terrence Jones (PF) Kentucky, went 18th to Houston
Kpro
6/28/12 10:55:14PM
Ross and Wroten coming out early for my UW Huskies is a dagger to their chances next year barring some guys stepping up big time. I now almost wish they'd made the NCAA tourney and gone out with a first round exit instead of being able to showcase their skills deep into the NIT tourney.
prophecy033
6/28/12 10:57:20PM

Posted by Kpro

Ross and Wroten coming out early for my UW Huskies is a dagger to their chances next year barring some guys stepping up big time. I now almost wish they'd made the NCAA tourney and gone out with a first round exit instead of being able to showcase their skills deep into the NIT tourney.

Terrance Ross went 8th, that's pretty sweet

Baylor is getting some 2nd round love
FlashyG
6/28/12 10:58:58PM

Posted by Kpro

How is Ross as a #8 pick?

Us Raptor fans haven't had much to get excited over.....ever really.
Poor_Franklin
6/28/12 11:01:34PM
i got really excited about Moultrie but saw right before the pick that he was rumored to go to 76ers. he'll fit in nicely w/ them, but wouldve been sweet to see him on the Heat
prophecy033
6/28/12 11:03:07PM
Portland also took Will Barton (SG Memphis) 39th and Tyshawn Taylor (PG Kansas) 40th
Kpro
6/28/12 11:04:17PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Kpro

Ross is a silent boss like Detlef Schrempf was back in the day. You look at the box score at the end of the game when your team wins a close game and Ross had 20 points, 9 boards, 6 assists, 2 steals, and a block. He's a glue guy like Battier with a ceiling of a non-lazy/corrupt JR Smith with better defense or a peak Eddie Jones with twice the rebounding ability.
prophecy033
6/28/12 11:07:25PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Kpro

Ross is a silent boss like Detlef Schrempf was back in the day. You look at the box score at the end of the game when your team wins a close game and Ross had 20 points, 9 boards, 6 assists, 2 steals, and a block. He's a glue guy like Battier with a ceiling of a non-lazy/corrupt JR Smith with better defense or a peak Eddie Jones with twice the rebounding ability.

How is he in comparison to B Roy?
Kpro
6/28/12 11:13:40PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Kpro

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Kpro

Very different in that Roy brought the ball down the court. Not that Ross can't, but he was playing with a top 5 nationally recruited PG in '11 (Gaddy) and '12 (Wroten), so he never had to. Think Roy but a few inches taller getting a few more rebounds a game, filling up the stat sheet quietly with less points but technically sound. He's not going to be making mistakes even right out the gate, he'll make everyone around him better and be a veteran as a rookie which B-Roy did also. Both are very solid on both ends of the court, Ross is a better rebounder and rangier defender but isn't at Roy's scoring level, though they have the same range on their jumpshots... it's just guys that don't bring the ball up the court or can post up can sometimes go through scoring droughts. Ross would make any team in the NBA better, but he's a perfect third piece to a Durant/Westbrook combo for instance if that makes sense. He's a glue guy who is a flurry stat-stuffer when he gets fed, but even when he's not being fed he's silently helping your team in so many ways that don't show up in the box-scores.
FlashyG
6/28/12 11:15:10PM
Thats a relief.

TV coverage here made it seem like the Raptors went off the board.

Their mock draft had him around #15.

From your description he's pretty much exactly what the Raps need.
prophecy033
6/28/12 11:21:48PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Kpro

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Kpro

Very different in that Roy brought the ball down the court. Not that Ross can't, but he was playing with a top 5 nationally recruited PG in '11 (Gaddy) and '12 (Wroten), so he never had to. Think Roy but a few inches taller getting a few more rebounds a game, filling up the stat sheet quietly with less points but technically sound. He's not going to be making mistakes even right out the gate, he'll make everyone around him better and be a veteran as a rookie which B-Roy did also. Both are very solid on both ends of the court, Ross is a better rebounder and rangier defender but isn't at Roy's scoring level, though they have the same range on their jumpshots... it's just guys that don't bring the ball up the court or can post up can sometimes go through scoring droughts. Ross would make any team in the NBA better, but he's a perfect third piece to a Durant/Westbrook combo for instance if that makes sense. He's a glue guy who is a flurry stat-stuffer when he gets fed, but even when he's not being fed he's silently helping your team in so many ways that don't show up in the box-scores.

More of an off ball playher wheres Roy needed the ball more to get his offense going
Kpro
6/28/12 11:42:07PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Kpro

Posted by prophecy033

More of an off ball playher wheres Roy needed the ball more to get his offense going

Yeah, he would've easily put up Danny Granger college numbers if he'd gone to be a 3 year starter at New Mexico instead of a one year starter at UW. I'm not saying he'll put up Granger stats in the NBA because even Danny wouldn't have if he didn't have to because of the team he was on, but Ross will do what needs to be done to help the team in any way on both ends of the court. Really sad to see him leave, but wish him nothing but luck in the NBA. Not many 20 year olds anymore that show leadership, coachability, and work hard on every play being just as happy if they hit the game winner as if they passed it off. I really like guys who aren't me, me, me guys and want their teammates to shine but will drop 12 on you in 2 minutes if you stop to think.
prophecy033
6/28/12 11:53:43PM
Good to see Robbie Hummel get drafted, he should be a good spot up shooter in Minnesota with Love and Rubio
Kpro
6/28/12 11:54:12PM
And Flashy, just so you don't think I'm just hyping a local UW guy, Wroten who went 25th in the first round today can't hit a jump shot to save his life and unless he can develop it at the NBA level he's a shoot first PG who can't hit jumpers and jumps passing lanes he has no chance on D which is a quick ticket to bench depth or the Euro leagues. Wroten would also visibly pout during games when things weren't going his way. Definitely the antithesis of a team-first guy. Just thought I'd give my opinion on the other first round UW pick so you know I'm not just talking up Ross because he's local.
cowcatcher
6/29/12 1:10:02AM

Posted by prophecy033

Good to see Robbie Hummel get drafted, he should be a good spot up shooter in Minnesota with Love and Rubio

He's coming from a Big Ten rival, so I never had love for the guy, but it is nice to see him finally get to the NBA...even if he played 12 years of college ball and is 42 years old now.

The Bucks did OK, but both guys they got have major question marks.

Can Henson take smart shots and be any help on offense, and will he fill out so he can handle NBA bigs? Did we need another PF with Zeller on the board and a need at C? On the bright side he's a big school guy that is really long and athletic, blocks shots, and is a better player than Larry Sanders.

Is Lamb athletic enough to defend at the NBA level? He fills a need as a bigger bodied guard since the Bucks starters are as small as any teams, and he can shoot the lights out which is never a bad thing to have on your team.

I'm really glad Jae Crowder and DJO got drafted out of Marquette. Both of those guys play hard, know how to find a way to score, and are tenacious defenders. They will find a way into their teams rotations, even if it's near the back end. I was hoping for DJO in a Bucks uniform, but we didn't need another undersized guard.
prophecy033
6/29/12 2:01:30AM

Posted by cowcatcher

I'm really glad Jae Crowder and DJO got drafted out of Marquette. Both of those guys play hard, know how to find a way to score, and are tenacious defenders. They will find a way into their teams rotations, even if it's near the back end.

That reminds me of Wesley Mathews. He found his way onto the starting 5 in Utah when Sloan was there. Sloan never started rookies, especially undrafted rookies. Since he was undrafted, he was a unrestricted FA and we signed him to a toxic offer and ended up grabbing him from Utah. Also from Marquette.
cowcatcher
6/29/12 2:07:07AM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by cowcatcher

I'm really glad Jae Crowder and DJO got drafted out of Marquette. Both of those guys play hard, know how to find a way to score, and are tenacious defenders. They will find a way into their teams rotations, even if it's near the back end.

That reminds me of Wesley Mathews. He found his way onto the starting 5 in Utah when Sloan was there. Sloan never started rookies, especially undrafted rookies. Since he was undrafted, he was a unrestricted FA and we signed him to a toxic offer and ended up grabbing him from Utah. Also from Marquette.

Wes was the third option on that Marquette team behind Dominic James and Jerel McNeal, but was the only one with NBA size so he's the only one in the league. I loved those Marquette teams, and still am pretty butthurt about them not doing more in the NCAA tourney. I'm so glad one of them was able to make it, because they were on the most fun Marquette team I ever saw, and Wes is definitely a class act and an underrated talent. Nice point about Sloan not starting rookie too Proph, it shows just how hard the dude worked in practice, because Sloan was old school and that's the only thing that could make a rookie start for him.
prophecy033
6/29/12 2:12:16AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by cowcatcher

Wes was the third option on that Marquette team behind Dominic James and Jerel McNeal, but was the only one with NBA size so he's the only one in the league. I loved those Marquette teams, and still am pretty butthurt about them not doing more in the NCAA tourney. I'm so glad one of them was able to make it, because they were on the most fun Marquette team I ever saw, and Wes is definitely a class act and an underrated talent. Nice point about Sloan not starting rookie too Proph, it shows just how hard the dude worked in practice, because Sloan was old school and that's the only thing that could make a rookie start for him.

Mathews defense in the playoffs against the Lakers his rookie year in Utah was the reason Portland wanted him so bad. He played Kobe as well as i had ever seen anyone play defense on him, unfazed by the player that Kobe was. Gave him a ton of confidence. I wish he showed that intensity a little more around here. Another thing that throws people off about him is his jumper. It looks funky but he shoots 40% from 3
cowcatcher
6/29/12 2:33:01AM
Could be worse Proph, you could be a Bucks fan and had to sit back and watch Anthony Mason's contract fuck up the team's cap for years after he was gone.
Kpro
6/29/12 5:14:49AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Could be worse Proph, you could be a Bucks fan and had to sit back and watch Anthony Mason's contract fuck up the team's cap for years after he was gone.

It could be worse than that. Your team could've traded 5 time All-Star and huge fan favorite Shawn Kemp essentially straight up in a three team deal for Vin Baker, a supposed 21 and 10 machine, because they didn't want to commit max money to Kemp who was making $3.3mil at the time and ready for a huge pay increase. Fast forward two years and Baker misses a third of the season, plays lackadaisical, finishes with a 13 and 6 line hitting 45% from the charity stripe, nowhere near a fan favorite, and Mr. Starbucks decides out of nowhere to give him a max deal (7 years $96mil) as the team spends the remainder of his years trying to find a way to rid themselves of the plague. Your Bucks were lucky to get Vin TFO when they did.
kopower
6/29/12 7:56:39AM
My Wolves didn't make much of a splash. Trading #18 for Chace Budinger was alright I guess. Derrick Williams was a no show last year. hear they were using him as trade bait. I'd say give him another year. Seems like a waste at #2 if you're already trying to get rid of him. Hope he works out. The combo of Love, Rubio, and Williams could be nice. Sounds like the Wolves are going the free agency route.
Pages: [1] 2