Nature/Nurture

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Nature/Nurture
JewJitsu
8/9/07 11:42:11PM
I know this is a topic that is discussed quite often, but it is fascinating when you really think about it.

On one hand you have Nature - The fundamental substance of humans (ie.the particular trait combination belonging to a specific human being) and human behavior.

On the other hand you have Nurture - Personal experience in a formative state, (sometimes even afterwards.)

Which one really defines us?

Can we overcome our Nurture by usage of Nature or vice versa?

There is a story of two individuals, they are brothers, one is 24 the other 23. Both were raised in the same household, with the same parents, the same siblings, went to the same schools, etc.

They did not have the easiest task of growing up, their dad left when the youngest was born, they never had any contact with him until they were both well past their formative years (one was 21, the other 22).

Although they had the exact same environments growing up, they could not be more different.

One has a career, house, wife and baby on the way.

The other, a high school drop out, who is in an out of a job/place to live and a recreational drug user.

To what do we attribute this to?

Is that Nature or are some weaker than others and can not overcome their Nurture?

It would appear as though our Nurture forms our Nature, or does it just enhance what is already there?

Maybe it is an individual matter, as in each person is more so impacted by different aspects?

Maybe it is a combination of multiple ideas, aspects or influences.

This is an unfinished thought, but I would like to hear what everyone else thinks.
Svartorm
8/9/07 11:55:22PM
Both factor in, to some extends, but I think nurture is definitely the more powerful of the two. Some things, like alcoholism, are actually genetic, but placed in the proper household a child born of alcoholics would be much less likely to drink than if the child stayed with those parents. I think nature tends to dictate who you are when you have no direction.

I know you're talking about people, but animals can be domesticated in as few as three generations if they're raised from birth with positive human interaction. If their nature of being wild can be cut out that quickly by a nurturing human enviornment, their natures can't be all that dominant.
bobbydoomocculta
5/22/08 9:32:58PM
A little from column A... A little from column B...

you heard it here first...
Rush
5/22/08 9:40:13PM
I think both factor in. However,

The nature vs. nurture argument will never be solved IMO. In order to have an appropriate experimental set-up you would literally have to break every rule in the ethics books.

I saw a study that came close, but in the end I thought the doctor was crazy and the kids ended up committing suicide. The study did suggest that nature was dominant.
bobbydoomocculta
5/22/08 11:05:45PM
Awesome... how does one find out about this study??
Rush
5/22/08 11:21:13PM

Posted by bobbydoomocculta

Awesome... how does one find out about this study??

The one that I saw was on a TV special either on TLC, A and E or Discovery Channel. Basically what happened was this woman, back in the 70s or so, had twin sons. One of them had their penis chopped off during the circumcision. This doctor suggested that the family raise the unic as a girl and he would study the nature/nurture aspects. In his mind this was the best experiment because the two subjects were genetically identical.

To make a long story short, the unic still acted like his brother and had lots of problems (social and psycological) around puberty, despite hormone treatment and everything. The family ended up aborting the study and one or both of the brothers ended up killing themselves.
bobbydoomocculta
5/23/08 12:04:46AM
Craziness... let me know if you remember what it was called... I'd like to check it out...
Red-Dragon
5/23/08 8:30:16AM

Posted by Svartorm

Both factor in, to some extends, but I think nurture is definitely the more powerful of the two. Some things, like alcoholism, are actually genetic, but placed in the proper household a child born of alcoholics would be much less likely to drink than if the child stayed with those parents. I think nature tends to dictate who you are when you have no direction.

I know you're talking about people, but animals can be domesticated in as few as three generations if they're raised from birth with positive human interaction. If their nature of being wild can be cut out that quickly by a nurturing human enviornment, their natures can't be all that dominant.

Only 3 generations WOW. Im gonna get me some mean pets. I think I will start with Croccodiles