Which nationality produces best fighters?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Which nationality produces best fighters?
Next Page »
POLL: Which nationality produces the best fighters?
U.S. - lots of great wrestlers/good BJJ 26% (16)
Brazil- Top level BJJ/good Muay Thai 49% (30)
Russia- Sambo, Fedor, RedDevil badasses 3% (2)
UK- kickboxing/mid level boxing 2% (1)
Japan- Some top BJJ/good subwrestlers 5% (3)
Other/ too close. 15% (9)
seanfu
11/10/08 1:37:49PM
I was thinking about it and was wondering what people thought about what nationality produced the top talent.

Only 4 really came to mind, but Canada and UK also came up so I wanted to add one of them.

Personally I think that the U.S. produces about equal to Japanese or Brazilians. But I give it to the U.S. If there are more guys who come over and take UFC belts then I can say we're even. Japanese don't get a lot of fighters over here and Brazilians are catching up.

I don't necessarilly count Hawaii or Alaska so Penn also wouldn't count for the U.S.

I'm also thinking in terms of how many top level guys there are for each and it really feels even.

But I give the nod to the U.S. for UFC belts and Hendo capturing 2 (half) of the Pride belts.
tuvok500
11/10/08 1:45:15PM
Canada !!! Quebec to be precise !!!

Cdellorso
11/10/08 1:51:44PM
best fighters to date per capita-

BJJ dominates-
emfleek
11/10/08 1:54:10PM
West Virginia
Pookie
11/10/08 1:58:44PM
Nationality has nothing to do with producing the best fighters.
roadking95th
11/10/08 2:03:38PM
Did I miss something? Hawaii isn't part of the U.S.?

Anyway, this could turn into a big flame war.

I don't think any particular country turns out "the best" fighters. I mean, Russia, Holland, Canada, US, Brazil, Croatia, and Japan have all turned out top pound for pound fighters. The US seems to have more depth, right now. Brazil seems to have an abundance of "top fighters" for the number of fighters they have. Is one better than the other? No.

One could have an arguement on which Fight Camp produces the best fighters.
Gipper
11/10/08 2:59:37PM
canada should be on the list before uk.

it's to close to call between usa and brazil, these countries are a step above the rest.
juanez13
11/10/08 2:59:46PM
I think this topic could work if you are talking about specific form of fighting, but for MMA, as others have said it doesnt matter.

If it were specific like
Kickboxing -> Holland
Muay Thai-> Thailand
Jiu jitsu-> Brazil
etc...
Aaronno9
11/10/08 3:30:44PM

Posted by seanfu

But I give the nod to the U.S. for UFC belts and Hendo capturing 2 (half) of the Pride belts.

Um, if you dont count Penn, then doesnt the ufc only hold the LHW belt?

Unless you count Randy i guess, but i think Nog should be classed as the HW champ since Randy decided not to fight for however long it was.

Id say Brazil though. I think eventually, Nog, Shogun and Anderson will all hold titles at the same time.
seanfu
11/10/08 3:53:07PM
Didn't count Hawaii cuz I figured they considered themselves Hawaiians alone, not Americans.

And I was speaking of historical champs.
Randy, Chuck, Tito, Hendo, Sherk, Hughes, Militech, Franklin, Lindland Rampage...etc vs

Big Nog, Anderson, Wanderlei, Machada, Royce ...

Gomi, Aoki(should be considered), Misaki, Kid Yammamoto

Fedor

That kind of thing as well, more emphasis on recent, but considering all. Never wanted a flame war, just with all the mixes of canadians, U.S. and U.K. guys on the playground figured it would be interesting.

And even though international training is happening more and more, I figured it still mattered to some degree.
fullerene
11/10/08 4:01:03PM
Japan, Brazil and the U.S. put out the largest number of top MMA competitors and that has been the case for the past 15 years. People may not realize that Japan has so many top fighters because they tend to fight in Japan and in the lower weight classes, but they are there.

If I was going to pick one of those groups to put above the others it would be Brazilians. Japanese and U.S. fighters have the advantage of fighitng in the countries that put on the most shows. They have more opportunities for that reason, particularly as undercard fighters. It's impressive that so many Brazlians, many not speaknig the native language, have become factors fighting overseas. If the majority of shows were being held in Rio and Sao Paulo I would expect them to be filled with far more Brazilians than Americans or Japanese.
owen1
11/10/08 4:46:17PM

Posted by juanez13

I think this topic could work if you are talking about specific form of fighting, but for MMA, as others have said it doesnt matter.

If it were specific like
Kickboxing -> Holland
Muay Thai-> Thailand
Jiu jitsu-> Brazil
etc...

cmill21
11/10/08 5:03:37PM
I wen't with Brazil.
gsquat
11/10/08 5:09:21PM
The TS isn't suggesting that nationality does have anything to do with the quality of a fighter (although natural mentality is the biggest part of determining a great fighter, and where you come from determines your mentality). He's simply asking which nationality seems predominantly present in the most of the best fighters. I think the poll is spot on. Brazilians are abundant in most top ten lists. Americans arent far behind. There is definitely a common theme ascossiated with these two nationalities. With Brazilians, you expect they were born with a black belt in JJ, and that Americans are going to inevitably shoot for the takedown.

Edit: Japanese certainly have the fighting spirit, but you can't win on heart alone.
casey64
11/10/08 5:10:08PM
Brazil, IMO.
Wolfenstein
11/10/08 5:49:24PM
I think the culture of Brazil is the perfect place to be a fighter. People just love to fight out there, and in terms of size in relation to how many good fighters are produced, I don't think there's a comparison.
copcopps
11/10/08 6:32:32PM
Japan, especially with the LWs as stacked as all Japanese LWs are usually
iwannabesedated
11/10/08 7:22:07PM
6 out of this sites top ten P4P fighters are American.
shiz-nitzel
11/11/08 6:02:32PM
6 of this sites 10000 members arnt american
higdon10
11/11/08 8:33:30PM
Its a toss up between USA and Brazil.
mentalcase
11/11/08 8:36:57PM
brazil-usa at #1 too close to say just 1 of them
japan #2
then the rest
cmill21
11/11/08 9:34:19PM
Hey, wheres Croatia? Cro Cop, Pat, Branko, and Reljich aren't enough?!
juanez13
11/11/08 9:44:16PM

Posted by cmill21

Surprised you mentioned Branko, especially with you being a Cro Cop fan...
That man is a disgrace!
cmill21
11/11/08 9:48:15PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by cmill21

That man is a disgrace!

Lol why? Branko is one of Mirko's hero's, not to mention the 1'st WGP winner. Sure he sucked at acting and defending the takedown lol.
juanez13
11/11/08 10:12:46PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by juanez13

Posted by cmill21

That man is a disgrace!

Lol why? Branko is one of Mirko's hero's, not to mention the 1'st WGP winner. Sure he sucked at acting and defending the takedown lol.

Dont think they get along anymore....He was the one that started saying that Mirko was a serbian, and Mirko flipped his lid when he found out and blamed Cikatic for starting all of this, because Mirko had left his gym. + supposedly he tried to put a hit out on mirko.

Not to mention the guy was a nutcase, and one of the dirtiest fighters out there. Pride 1? Under kickboxing rules, he soccer kicked a downed Ralph White in the dome and gave him a huge hematoma under the scalp....+ his extremely dirty elbows to the back of the head + holding on to the ropes for dear life against Mark Kerr in one of the early Prides.

I may be a little biased here, After i saw his fight with Kerr (i was a huge fan of Kerr) he topped my list as one of my most disliked fighters. But the guy definitely did some great things too, not to take anything away from his accomplishments.
cmill21
11/11/08 10:17:54PM
Lol I have honestly never heard that. I know Branko was a weird guy, and definetly not an mma fighter lol, but if he called Mirko a serb I'm surprised he's still alive, I know alot of people in Croatia who view Mirko as more then mortal and thats probably the biggest insult for a Croat lol.
juanez13
11/11/08 10:24:48PM
Yea here is more on it

LINK
cmill21
11/11/08 10:30:07PM

Posted by juanez13

Yea here is more on it

LINK

Lol wow, nice spot, I will ask how he feels about Branko now lol. Will prop when I can. Lol also I think japan should not only be considered for top BJJ and wrestling, but striking as well.
Jackelope
11/11/08 10:40:24PM
With all of the top camps and fighters flocking to the U.S. I don't think it will be long before the unanimous answer is U.S.A. The market for MMA is too huge over here, and the opportunities to get to the forefront of the fighting world are far too great. With american high school wrestling becoming a huge feeder program for fighters the gap will only continue to grow wider.

Japanese fighters are still my favorite to watch because they generally have the most unorthodox and all-on-the-line styles.

Brazilians are still my favorite ground artists because their jiu jitsu is beautiful.

Dutch are my favorite strikers because dutch kickboxers like Manhoef blow me away with their speed and power.
artofdefense
11/14/08 5:28:14PM
People pick Brazil based on BJJ.....

1. The best BJJ (and Muay Thai) instructors are in America now, because America is where you can make real money teaching.

2. BJJ is not the be all end all of grappling. I consider several other Catch and JJ styles superior.

Pages: [1] 2