Nate Quarry....Clowning or Classless??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Nate Quarry....Clowning or Classless??
MondayNiteMauser
4/20/08 6:36:47PM
I personally thought the last 30 seconds of the Nate Quarry vs. Kalib Starnes fight was one of the funniest things to ever happen in the UFC. High Steppin' and the one armed man was too funny. Not to mention the Rocky 4 quote.
Was it too much or just plain fun??
chubbud22
4/20/08 6:47:09PM
Starnes ran from him the whole fight, then after the fight was over and Starnes got made to look like an ass then he wanted to fight. I thought Quarry had every right to do what he did and Starnes should be released from his contact if he still has one
SerraLeben
4/20/08 6:48:19PM
No it wasen't to much at all. If Quarry didn't do what he did than that fight would of been pure garbage. At least at the end everyone got some humor out of it.

Do you know how frustrating it must of been for Quarry, who traveled to Canada, to have to chase around Starnes for 15 minutes? The sad thing is Starnes was STILL back peddling during the running man and the one armed man taunts. It needed to be done because Starnes was being ridiculous.

Would of been hilarious if Starnes KO'd Quarry while doing the one armed man taunt.
MondayNiteMauser
4/20/08 6:50:23PM
I agree Starnes was gave a very poor effort and his own country men could agree with that....He got boo'ed out of his own country for cryin out loud. Even though it was one of the two decisions of the night it was still my favorite fight! Nates kicks were nasty!
SerraLeben
4/20/08 7:05:56PM

Posted by MondayNiteMauser

I agree Starnes was gave a very poor effort and his own country men could agree with that....He got boo'ed out of his own country for cryin out loud. Even though it was one of the two decisions of the night it was still my favorite fight! Nates kicks were nasty!

Really? Your favourite fight? I thought for sure that no one would come to liking that fight. Even though none of it was Quarry's fault it still kind of makes him look bad because of what Starnes did.
chubbud22
4/20/08 7:07:34PM
Quarry was using Geek Fighting. A technique my brother taught me as a child. Seriosly though me and my brother used to do that as a kid and I about busted a gut when I saw Quarry do it
MondayNiteMauser
4/20/08 7:13:18PM

Posted by SerraLeben

Really? Your favourite fight? I thought for sure that no one would come to liking that fight. Even though none of it was Quarry's fault it still kind of makes him look bad because of what Starnes did.

I guess the last 30 seconds just made it for me....The card was great all around though..Danzig vs. Bocek was a good one and the Bisping fight was fun to watch. I heard the undercards were great. Valasquez with a good knock out and Ed Herman was put to sleep. I'd like to see the undercards if anyone has a link.
Kracker_Jap
4/20/08 7:27:40PM

Posted by riceavenger

http://kalibstarnessucks.ytmnd.com/

HAHA THAT SITE IS GREAT
Twenty20Dollars
4/20/08 8:01:17PM
Well quarry had to keep the crowd entertained because im sure the crowd didnt want them to see quarry just chasing starnes. Gotta try and do something to spark some action.

Im suprised the ref didnt force starnes to engage or he will get a point taken away ala arlovski vs fabricio fight. interesting.
allmotormark
4/20/08 9:47:14PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Well quarry had to keep the crowd entertained because im sure the crowd didnt want them to see quarry just chasing starnes. Gotta try and do something to spark some action.

Im suprised the ref didnt force starnes to engage or he will get a point taken away ala arlovski vs fabricio fight. interesting.

actually with the scoring at the end of the fight he didn't have many points to give up

30-24 and i think 30-26 man is that the most one sided scoring ever....it was well deserved in my opinion.

does anyone know a worse beat in scoring in the ufc?
stock
4/20/08 10:26:31PM

Posted by allmotormark

actually with the scoring at the end of the fight he didn't have many points to give up

30-24 and i think 30-26 man is that the most one sided scoring ever....it was well deserved in my opinion.

I am pretty sure that is the only 30-24 score card ever.
Quarry is the man. I really want to see him fight Bisping next.
kevietre
4/20/08 11:54:31PM
Anyone hear a post-fight interview from Kalib as to why he ran around the octagon for 15 minutes? I just can't comprehend...I picked Kalib for the upset and he had no offense whatsoever. Nate was a good sport he said he didn't mean to disrespect his opponent who by the deserves to be disrespected.
EON
4/21/08 12:33:28AM

I personally thought the last 30 seconds of the Nate Quarry vs. Kalib Starnes fight was one of the funniest things to ever happen in the UFC. High Steppin' and the one armed man was too funny. Not to mention the Rocky 4 quote.
Was it too much or just plain fun??

oh yeah he was classless, not the beligerant audience blatently booing non canadian fighters or starnes flicking quarry off and saying **** you

Svartorm
4/21/08 12:34:25AM

Posted by allmotormark

I'm pretty sure that was officially the worst. Sakara vs. Sinosic had one judge score it 30-25, but that was at least a fight.

As for the Arlovski vs. Werdum fight, Herb did that because neither guy was engaging. Quarry was trying like hell to end that fight without being reckless about it, so you can't really do the same in that situation.
GrandMaster313
4/21/08 12:44:37AM
I spilled my beer on myself when i seen that . then continued to laugh even harder until i was blue in the face. this was one of the most Shitty but memorable fights i have seen. Kind of reminds me when Crazy Hoarse KO'd
Yoshihiro Nakao for kissing him
Mayhem13
4/21/08 1:02:52AM
it seemed a little out of character for Quarry to taunt him like that...but he was probably frustratede and just having fun...I dont think it was out of line..
D0wnUnd6e6r
4/21/08 8:28:49AM
AHHHH despite of whatever everybody's saying... I freaking loved it! I'm canadian and everything and from the get go picked quarry to win. Starnes got what he deserved IMO
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/21/08 9:10:30AM
what quarry did might've bothered me under NORMAL circumstances, but starnes was horrible & embarassing
Silent-Sir
4/21/08 10:42:22AM

Posted by EON

oh yeah he was classless, not the beligerant audience blatently booing non canadian fighters or starnes flicking quarry off and saying **** you

Right, because no U.S. crowd has ever booed a foreign fighter. I actually don't think the @!%# You was aimed at Quarry. It seemed to me like it was directed at someone else in the cage or possibly in the crowd.

I thought what Quarry did was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Starnes deserved every bit of it.
IriShame
4/21/08 11:23:34AM

Posted by allmotormark

Forrest Petz and Sammy Morgan is the UFC record, which was scored 30-23 Petz by one judge. Also, refuseing to engage is considered a foul according to the Unified Rules of Combat and a point could've and should've been taken from Starnes. I think he could've even been DQ'd, I mean that was ridiculous. Quarry was great by the way, crappiest fight i've ever seen but here we are talking about it. He gave the crowd something from nothing and for that I thank him.
waylon_o
4/21/08 11:39:13AM
You have to give it to Quarry, he did the absolute best with what he was presented with. If he wouldn't have done the things that he did, some people may have booed him just as much for not keeping the fight interesting.
Hurricane_Brad
4/21/08 2:52:26PM
I thought that it was somewhat disrespectful and out of character for Quarry, but Starnes DID run from him for the entire fight. I think the thing that bothered me the most was that Kalib didn't even try to mount any offense while Quarry was chasing him around with one arm making him look like a fool, he just kept running.
loonytnt
4/21/08 4:45:35PM
that was funny, and if you run for 3 rounds you get what you get
prozacnation1978
4/21/08 10:19:05PM
starnes made himself and quarry look boring as hell, i thing nate wanted to knock him out badly and get the bonus. i guess after 15 min you get frustrated and upset. starnes got what he deserved i thought it was clowning, made the fight a tad better, i think quarry should have chased him down and beaten the hell out of him. you have to remember also quarry wants to be in the title contention, he needs to stay on the main cards and not prelims, but i do think quarry next fight will be a main card.
bls1919
4/21/08 10:39:14PM
I dont think that what Quarry did was classless at all. the poor guy was so frustrated, he just wanted to break his own tension, IMO. Really the guy(Quarry) trained hard for months only to have it all throw away by a PUNK!!! I really like Nate and hope he gets a legit fighter next time.
jiujitsufreak74
4/21/08 10:43:31PM
i think i can some this up:
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
EON
4/21/08 10:53:00PM

Posted by Silent-Sir

Posted by EON

Right, because no U.S. crowd has ever booed a foreign fighter. I actually don't think the @!%# You was aimed at Quarry. It seemed to me like it was directed at someone else in the cage or possibly in the crowd.

I thought what Quarry did was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Starnes deserved every bit of it.

So you didnt catch my sarcasm????? of corse starnes deserved the taunting because he didnt even attack during the taunting and YES he did say **** you fagit to quarry, dont defend his trash mouth everybody watching saw it not just me.

BTW the Canadian audience was 10 times worse than fans from the U.S. or Britian combined. Booing when the canadian was getting dominated (never seen that kind of nationalism before, trashy) and booing in the introductions and weigh ins (also never seen someone boo at the weigh ins anywhere else)
pv3Hpv3p
4/22/08 9:28:42AM
I don't think it was classless... The guy was frustrated... As he should be... You train your ass off for how many weeks, and then show up to put it all to good use, and get this???

Anyone know the truth to the rumors that Starnes threw the fight because he was unhappy with the UFC's payscale / treatment of fighters... What I heard was that he was upset about Zuffa not helping out with medical bills after his last fight and was trying to "stick it to the man" so to say... Take that for what it's worth...
Silent-Sir
4/22/08 3:36:10PM

Posted by EON

So you didnt catch my sarcasm????? of corse starnes deserved the taunting because he didnt even attack during the taunting and YES he did say **** you fagit to quarry, dont defend his trash mouth everybody watching saw it not just me.

BTW the Canadian audience was 10 times worse than fans from the U.S. or Britian combined. Booing when the canadian was getting dominated (never seen that kind of nationalism before, trashy) and booing in the introductions and weigh ins (also never seen someone boo at the weigh ins anywhere else)

And apparently you missed mine as well.

Booing when the canadian was getting dominated
If you're referring to the Starnes/Quarry fight, I think they were actually booing Starnes. If not, then which fight were you referring to?

I never said that Starnes didn't flip anyone off, what I said was that I didn't think it was directed at Quarry. An article over at MMAJunkie confirmed that it was directed at Quarry's corner when they questioned him about his lack of activity. I am absolutely NOT defending his actions. I think it was disgusting and no professional should ever conduct themselves in that manner.

I don't have a problem with the booing (from either country). It's called supporting your fighter, team, etc. and it is part of every sport. What I do have a problem with is when the crowd is disrespectful to the fighter following a victory/defeat. Which I personally didn't notice during the PPV. They actually cheered for the American fighters after the fights. They cheered Serra after his fight as well as Franklin (before and after) and Danzig (the guy's got a Canadian girlfriend, he can't be all bad. ). The only time I really noticed them booing after a fight was when they booed Starnes, and that was completely justified.